Excessive Overtime the new normal

UPS Preloader

We are told to scan every box as it comes down the belt, whether it’s getting stacked out, or it’s bulk/irreg going under belt or behind car,going on truck, etc. The point of scanning is supposedly to reduce/eliminate misloads but if it’s not going on the truck right that second, plenty can happen by the time it comes to load up bulk or clean up stack outs. So the pkg shows scanned but wasn’t actually in the truck- makes sense to me how that could happen.

Scanning the package tells the customer the package is loaded on the truck and going out for deliver. Packages should only be scanned as they are being loaded. Past management told us to scan bulk and post office that was not being loaded at that point, but we refused and told them it was unethical and against the training we received by IE.

Scanning the package tells the customer the package is loaded on the truck and going out for deliver. Packages should only be scanned as they are being loaded. Past management told us to scan bulk and post office that was not being loaded at that point, but we refused and told them it was unethical and against the training we received by IE.

I agree with you. Management does tell pre-load to scan every package. Whether going in truck, stacking, under belt, etc...Technically the only package that should be scanned is if it it ends up in package car/truck. If you do it when stacking, technically one isn’t loading the truck. So your load numbers are inaccurate. And of course a package scanned that doesn’t get loaded can be lost or a mislead.
Lastly, every time I read on Brown Cafe, the Union is more and more disappointing. UPS never, ever gives 24 hours notice for the next days shift. If I start at 3:15 am on a Tue. They tell me Tues. after break at 6:15 that tomorrow’s start time is 3:30, that’s not 24 hours. Why don’t the union heads fix this?

Jstpeachy

I agree with you. Management does tell pre-load to scan every package. Whether going in truck, stacking, under belt, etc...Technically the only package that should be scanned is if it it ends up in package car/truck. If you do it when stacking, technically one isn’t loading the truck. So your load numbers are inaccurate. And of course a package scanned that doesn’t get loaded can be lost or a mislead.
Lastly, every time I read on Brown Cafe, the Union is more and more disappointing. UPS never, ever gives 24 hours notice for the next days shift. If I start at 3:15 am on a Tue. They tell me Tues. after break at 6:15 that tomorrow’s start time is 3:30, that’s not 24 hours. Why don’t the union heads fix this?

Good point. I haven’t heard a single thing about loading numbers, the only thing we get told is out scan percentage at my center. That’s their biggest concern right now due to high amounts of misloads.

Our start time changes daily, and we often don’t get the notification until late evening for the next days time. (5 or 6 pm sometimes for a 2:30 or 3 am start time) what’s this 25 hours you speak of lol

Foamer Pyle

Theres not enough drivers or trucks for everyone to be 9.5. Not to mention some routes like mine, are nearly impossible to make 9.5.
If you go on the 9.5 list, you will work 2 days over 9.5, then they will make sure your in before 9.5 the rest of the week. Simple as that.

sandwich

The resident gearhead
They just recently got us these scans by preload. I wasn't worried I don't smoke boxes.

Yet here we are and I've got mngmt down my neck claiming preload scanned a box on my truck that I didn't deliver. No. It was not on my truck. I don't smoke boxes I never have. I run my misload or I call the guy and we find a way to meet for fifteen seconds as I run him or he runs me the boxes.

And hey, here we are. Somehow preload supposedly scanned boxes on my truck that were not on my truck.

Center manager threatening me like lel dude back off :censored2:. You've been here three months I've been here half my adult life. How's your divorce? How's the kids? Oh wait

At least the sups get it. But then they've done the job. And they know there's no way I'm going to risk my career to steal a box of :censored2: windshield wipers

What I want to know is if preload scanned that box on my truck then where the FK did that box go?! Cause it was not on my truck.

Request a truck audit every night. Make sure you request a steward to be present as well. Also let them know by doing this it may put you over 9.5.

They pulled the same stunt with me a few weeks ago. So I request an audit with a fellow steward present every night when I get in.

El Correcto

god is dead
They're scanning every pkg loaded in our cars now and we're getting out late due to this new system to cut down on missloads in our hub. I'm not on the 9.5 list and don't want to be, but I don't want 60 hours a week either. Guy's not on the 9.5 list are going out with peak numbers and leaving the building super late. I'm now getting to the route after 10 which is crazy and punching out between 830 and 900pm. Seems like they're punishing us because they can't implement the 22.4s in our district. Driver's are in an conundrum in our building. If you opt for 9.5 protection they will send you out so light it will be a struggle to get 8 hours, they'll cap you at 40 hrs. Most drivers cant make it off 40 hrs a week so they're opting out of 9.5 protection.

Ups has come up with a cleaver way to totally eliminated the possibility for 9.5 grievances because drivers are opting out for financial reasons. I'm not asking for a solution this is just a rant and warning that this is coming to a center near you. Get used to long work days people.
Everyone says that but soon as the ot is taken away, these tough guys whine like a little buddy*. It is the rare person that can live on 8 hours.
UPS is becoming wonderful

They took away my 8 hour days! :( you guys can come help me every night when I tell them I’m going to have missed.

Netsua 3:16

AND THAT’S THE BOTTOM LINE
97 in oregon, 109 in phoenix, hottest temperatures on record so what better time than to slam us with multiple day's worth of business volume.
"Let's cut routes at 7:30 and put businesses on the 8000 shelf and chuck it all in the back mixed in with RDL and RDR so you have to spend lot's of time in the truck digging on the hottest day in 6/12 history"

Box_Troll

Gosh.. Some of the discussions and topics related to PT preload position are a bit confusing.

My orientation is this next week, so have not actually started to work yet. The 4:00 am to 8:00 am is what I signed up for, but seems from reading through the forum, that schedule is all over the place..

The rest of my day is on a routine that I really have to be able and start at about 9:00 am..

Without jeopardizing my job, especially as a new hire, how, or is it even possible to make them stick to the 4-8 schedule I am signing up for ? I do not need, nor desire more hours than this.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
Gosh.. Some of the discussions and topics related to PT preload position are a bit confusing.

My orientation is this next week, so have not actually started to work yet. The 4:00 am to 8:00 am is what I signed up for, but seems from reading through the forum, that schedule is all over the place..

The rest of my day is on a routine that I really have to be able and start at about 9:00 am..

Without jeopardizing my job, especially as a new hire, how, or is it even possible to make them stick to the 4-8 schedule I am signing up for ? I do not need, nor desire more hours than this.
The standard preload shift starts as early as 2:30AM and lasts until 9:00 usually but often goes to 9:30-10:00.

If you do unload then it is possible you can finish around 8:30 about 9 out of 10 times. You will not be able to maintain a 9:00 start for another job. 10:00 would be more viable.

UnconTROLLed

perfection

Let management know your special circumstances and I am sure they will allow you to succeed.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
They're scanning every pkg loaded in our cars now and we're getting out late due to this new system to cut down on missloads in our hub. I'm not on the 9.5 list and don't want to be, but I don't want 60 hours a week either. Guy's not on the 9.5 list are going out with peak numbers and leaving the building super late. I'm now getting to the route after 10 which is crazy and punching out between 830 and 900pm. Seems like they're punishing us because they can't implement the 22.4s in our district. Driver's are in an conundrum in our building. If you opt for 9.5 protection they will send you out so light it will be a struggle to get 8 hours, they'll cap you at 40 hrs. Most drivers cant make it off 40 hrs a week so they're opting out of 9.5 protection.

Ups has come up with a cleaver way to totally eliminated the possibility for 9.5 grievances because drivers are opting out for financial reasons. I'm not asking for a solution this is just a rant and warning that this is coming to a center near you. Get used to long work days people.

Why can’t you live on 40 hours a week

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

Lol

No fixed schedule at UPS.

Jstpeachy

Every day the start and end time varies. Doubtful that you will consistently be off by 9am to pursue other work etc. Especially as a new hire the likelihood is you’ll be one of the last to be cut for the day as it’s usually the new folks that get stuck waiting for late air etc. They will not “stick to 4-8” schedule. We check the Facebook page for our building daily for the start time- and end time is just “until completion” or until enough drivers come in and we get sent home. Expect times ranging from 2am-10am honestly depending on your building. Peak I hear can be 9 hours a day.. good luck

Netsua 3:16

AND THAT’S THE BOTTOM LINE

If I were you I would be consistently making it clear throughout the hiring process that you gotta be outta there by 9. There’s no guarantee that this will happen, totally depends on your building. However, I know there were several guys when I was on preload that would leave at a certain time every day because they worked it out with the preload sup. So you’ll just have to communicate and feel it out.

Last edited:

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
Every day the start and end time varies. Doubtful that you will consistently be off by 9am to pursue other work etc. Especially as a new hire the likelihood is you’ll be one of the last to be cut for the day as it’s usually the new folks that get stuck waiting for late air etc. They will not “stick to 4-8” schedule. We check the Facebook page for our building daily for the start time- and end time is just “until completion” or until enough drivers come in and we get sent home. Expect times ranging from 2am-10am honestly depending on your building. Peak I hear can be 9 hours a day.. good luck

Never understood this one. Part timers rushing to get off the clock. I'll stick around till the last area is loaded, when they let me. Extra work is where the money is at!

I'd tell management I don't have facebook, too. In my local, my understanding is that they have to post start times the day before, by the end of the shift. Not my job to keep checking a facebook page off the clock.

Agree about the start times. Mine generally never starts before 4:30, except during peak. Driver start time is 9:15. So unload usually leaves around 9:10, and preload usually leaves around 9:30. I'm sure it depends on hub vs center, with a million other variables.

Last peak, the most hours I ever got (just on the morning shift), was 10. Left the building at 11:30. I wonder if air was late, that day? ;)