Express Couriers working for security?

The Youngin' Of It All

For Ground at our terminal when we get those random gate checks with security we were always told that as long as the back door and bulk head were locked and inaccessible while the truck was stopped that was the primary thing they were worried about. But another one of my guys had issues at the same gate check because someone different was checking side doors as well to be locked. I took the word of the head of security for our hub and went with what he said, which was the first thing I stated. If it's a problem I'll just tell management that's what he told me to do. I still of course tell my guys to use common sense of course because you never know what can happen out there at any given time or day.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
For Ground at our terminal when we get those random gate checks with security we were always told that as long as the back door and bulk head were locked and inaccessible while the truck was stopped that was the primary thing they were worried about. But another one of my guys had issues at the same gate check because someone different was checking side doors as well to be locked. I took the word of the head of security for our hub and went with what he said, which was the first thing I stated. If it's a problem I'll just tell management that's what he told me to do. I still of course tell my guys to use common sense of course because you never know what can happen out there at any given time or day.
There should be written policy that is provided to contractors, who should pass it on to their drivers. Word of mouth, rumor, or innuendo is invalid when it comes to defending against a violation.

It will be fine

There should be written policy that is provided to contractors, who should pass it on to their drivers. Word of mouth, rumor, or innuendo is invalid when it comes to defending against a violation.
All the contract says is contractors will take all reasonable precautions to prevent theft. They don't write policy.

SmithBarney

If a member of management or security didn't see it, and you don't admit to anything, then it didn't happen.
Bingo, if it was security they would have approached you... We have one that regularly follows our mall drivers around the malls, better not leave that cart outside the store, he'll rip you up.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Bingo, if it was security they would have approached you... We have one that regularly follows our mall drivers around the malls, better not leave that cart outside the store, he'll rip you up.
So what do they expect you to do with the cart at stores that won’t let you bring it inside?

SmithBarney

So what do they expect you to do with the cart at stores that won’t let you bring it inside?

Don't leave it in the hall, doesn't matter to security. Figure out how to do it, which means if store A doesn't want the cart in the store, then you walk the mall with just store A's packages. Extra $ for you...

dvalleyjim

At our ground terminal nobody locks the truck, keep them running all day, ride with bulk head door open. I once pulled up to my buddies who were backed up to the boardwalk in a busy seaside resort town. It was the driver and the owner's son. The roll up door was up, truck running, unlocked and neither clowns insight. Tons of tourons walking around. HAHA.

barnyard

KTM rider
Same with ours, but they still insist ALL doors and windows must be closed/locked.

The sliding doors on ours do not lock. Shutting them only keeps out honest people. A couple of years ago, 2 girls posted a vid to youtube of them sitting in the driver's seat of a package car from my center. We were told to close the doors when we were gone for a long time (at a mall or multi stop delivery.)

MAKAVELI

No. You missed my point. I was talking about ALL trucks including 700’s and 900’s, comparing them to UPS not closing the cab of theirs.
It's much simpler to have one policy for all trucks. As far as UPS goes they also can have their driver side door open while driving while we can't. They just do things so differently.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
It's much simpler to have one policy for all trucks. As far as UPS goes they also can have their driver side door open while driving while we can't. They just do things so differently.
Noooo. My original point was, we (Fedex couriers) have been told for the last year or so that the TSA supposedly requires us to totally secure our vehicles. Do those rules not also apply to UPS drivers?