Express / Ground merger

Oldfart

The real issue is that if you truly minded your own business, you wouldn't be on here meddling in all these topics and talking down to people.

Keep repeating yourself, maybe I'll wake up in a double wide.
I like keeping up with what morons are saying. It is better than reading the morning comics.

bacha29

So you say it is Fedex fault that employees live beyond their means, have too many toys and have too much debt?
Let me try one more time to break it all down simple enough for your brainwashed little mind. I NEVER SAID that's X's fault. Here's what I'm getting at. This site is full of whaaing about X's manipulation of the pay scale and benefits and they're clearly legitimate but it's nothing compared to what they could do. In fact they could walk in some morning and say " we're cutting your wages 20% tripling your health care deduction and freezing our contribution to your pension plan. Consider yourselves fortunate that it isn't worse". In essence they're daring you to undertake a work stoppage. So what are you going to do? I know that you're thinking to your self," they'll never do that", but what's there to stop them? At that point the votes in favor of that long overdue necessity of a nationwide union shop might just be there but would require a work stoppage. So how long would one last? A week. Week and a half at the most. Then everybody will go back to work and swallow the pay cut. Why? Because they never prepared to this type of event. Verizon went out on strike last year for more than a month to stop the outsourcing of 13,000 jobs . How did they do it? Simple. They did what the NFLPA did a few days ago . Their contract isn't up until 2021 but they told the owners that there will be a strike in 2021 and told their rank and file to start preparing for one NOW . There will indeed come a day when X grunts are tired of being cuffed around and slapped around and want to resist but only a handful are prepared.

vantexan

Let me try one more time to break it all down simple enough for your brainwashed little mind. I NEVER SAID that's X's fault. Here's what I'm getting at. This site is full of whaaing about X's manipulation of the pay scale and benefits and they're clearly legitimate but it's nothing compared to what they could do. In fact they could walk in some morning and say " we're cutting your wages 20% tripling your health care deduction and freezing our contribution to your pension plan. Consider yourselves fortunate that it isn't worse". In essence they're daring you to undertake a work stoppage. So what are you going to do? I know that you're thinking to your self," they'll never do that", but what's there to stop them? At that point the votes in favor of that long overdue necessity of a nationwide union shop might just be there but would require a work stoppage. So how long would one last? A week. Week and a half at the most. Then everybody will go back to work and swallow the pay cut. Why? Because they never prepared to this type of event. Verizon went out on strike last year for more than a month to stop the outsourcing of 13,000 jobs . How did they do it? Simple. They did what the NFLPA did a few days ago . Their contract isn't up until 2021 but they told the owners that there will be a strike in 2021 and told their rank and file to start preparing for one NOW . There will indeed come a day when X grunts are tired of being cuffed around and slapped around and want to resist but only a handful are prepared.
Pigs may fly before Express ever does what you suggest they could. You strike against what is happening, not what might happen. The new pay plan is plenty enough for most, what happened before is yesterday's news.

bacha29

Pigs may fly before Express ever does what you suggest they could. You strike against what is happening, not what might happen. The new pay plan is plenty enough for most, what happened before is yesterday's news.
You strike against what is happening but you prepare for what unfolding events indicate might happen. BTW my how your tone regarding X and the treatment you received over the years has mellowed. It seems that every time you make a important and valid point you discredit it by almost immediately offering a contradicting opinion.

Oldfart

So you say it is Fedex fault that employees live beyond their means, have too many toys and have too much debt?

vantexan

You strike against what is happening but you prepare for what unfolding events indicate might happen. BTW my how your tone regarding X and the treatment you received over the years has mellowed. It seems that every time you make a important and valid point you discredit it by almost immediately offering a contradicting opinion.
I can be angry about what they did but still acknowledge that they've made a huge improvement. Under the current scheme I doubt you're going to find very many union activists. Do you really believe they came up with this new plan only to take it away soon after?

SmithBarney

FedEx would probably just offer up the Express routes to the ISP CSP owners, operations would look the same, but the ISP or CSP would just pay the bills on the trucks. I doubt you'll see combination routes like UPS, it took many years to perfect that, and seeing that Ground and Express facilities are so entrenched I can't see them able to pull it off without a major failure, which could cost customers...

bacha29

FedEx would probably just offer up the Express routes to the ISP CSP owners, operations would look the same, but the ISP or CSP would just pay the bills on the trucks. I doubt you'll see combination routes like UPS, it took many years to perfect that, and seeing that Ground and Express facilities are so entrenched I can't see them able to pull it off without a major failure, which could cost customers...
Remember the old saying"If it ain't broke don't fix it." In this situation it's " yeah it's broke but how much will it cost to fix it and if we did will it run any better than it does now"? All these acquisitions were bought up and simply kind of nailed onto the original shanty and is right now that's all that's holding it up.

SmithBarney

That's not how contracting works.
It works however FedEx wants it to work, if they want to "liquidate" or use whatever term you want here. They could if they wanted to say offer to the local Ground CSPs and say we have 50 Express Rtes that we are releasing for "purchase" with a cap of 5 rtes, and for 100K per route you get a truck and driver in location.... While it's far fetched I don't put anything past FDX to try and do to save a $

It will be fine

It works however FedEx wants it to work, if they want to "liquidate" or use whatever term you want here. They could if they wanted to say offer to the local Ground CSPs and say we have 50 Express Rtes that we are releasing for "purchase" with a cap of 5 rtes, and for 100K per route you get a truck and driver in location.... While it's far fetched I don't put anything past FDX to try and do to save a $
You can't sell drivers. Fedex never directly sold area or vehicles. They put area up for bid and choose the best candidate. The only sales made by Fedex personnel were with bribes during that selection process.

If they wanted to contract the express volume they would just tell us we are getting express volume at a certain date and we have new service commitments.

dmac1

You can't sell drivers. Fedex never directly sold area or vehicles.....

If they wanted to contract the express volume they would just tell us we are getting express volume at a certain date and we have new service commitments.

Fedex may not sell drivers, but they sure make the contractors slaves to them. Immediately being tied to a $40,000 or more truck with a contract the other party can cancel at will makes it hard to leave. Even if you didn't pay for the area when fedex was giving them away, all the investment gets is a job. Anyone buying a contract now and paying 6 figures or more is still just buying a job with no guarantee that you won't lose your investment at the same time you lose your job.. That job better give them a 10% net income or else they are only making a few dollars over minimum wage. In reality they should be getting 10% on the investment PLUS at least another $60k or more per year for managing.

bacha29

A guy once asked me what the overall experience was like. I said to him......."well, it falls in somewhere between trendy sharecropping and politically correct slavery". As dmac pointed out the odds in this little conspiracy are stacked against you . You're required to put money on the table more every year go out and represent the interests and image of a company that has no obligation or commitment to you in any way shape or form and will cut you off at the knees anytime you get out of line or they begin to believe that they are losing complete control over you.So if the day comes when some guy comes running up to you with a fist full of dollars don't just blow him off. What he's offering may not be quite what you'd like for it but it might just be a helluva lot more than what you 'll get later. You're only going to get just so big at this X will see to that There will only be just so many boxes to go around. If you stay around too long you'll reach the point where you're no longer running on growth but rather on pure speculation. Let the guy you sold to run on that . After all that's the reason why he wanted it in the first place.

bacha29

You are saying most CSP's can't sell break even and walk away?
A simple corporate restructuring either voluntarily or by new regulation, new legislation a hostile takeover bid or even an estate battle could turn contractor equity into absolute zero practically overnight. Remember, the only tangible asset the contractor has is the trucks one of the fastest depreciating pieces of equipment known to the US economy. Everything else is on paper only and could disappear in a poof.

bbsam

Staff member
A simple corporate restructuring either voluntarily or by new regulation, new legislation a hostile takeover bid or even an estate battle could turn contractor equity into absolute zero practically overnight. Remember, the only tangible asset the contractor has is the trucks one of the fastest depreciating pieces of equipment known to the US economy. Everything else is on paper only and could disappear in a poof.
No. That's not what he said. What you are describing are possible future changes. In the "here and now" he described a situation in which most contractors cannot sell and break even the way people theoretically can leave a job.