Express packages to ground

Empty Pockets

GTRA station merged a few months ago. I was just looking in the system and the manager has a different job title and Sr. Manager.

JBRA has been announced that they are moving

MKLA couriers saw a new FedEx building with the Express logo on it built in Humboldt and asked management about it. They claimed they were not aware of it. Courier went back by to take a picture of it and the sign had a tarp over it. LAWD, that is about as childish and low down as we have come to see the company.
News article from last year

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
So far Patton's value is in taking a poke at a tiger, and all interested parties getting to see what happens.

The legal fallout (if any) will be interesting as well.
I read on this very board that he was a super megagenius and he was not only going to countersue FedEx for elevety billion dollars, but he'd win!

BETTER SHARPEN UP MY RESUMÈ!

Fedexcellent

As tempting as it is to run to this forum and blab everything I know... no.
Can you elaborate at all or at least give a little more clarity on the scope of things?? So far my understanding is that there will definitely be a shifting of the rural areas and markets nationwide to exclusively Ground. I'm not aware of a complete merger across the board. At least, I'm hoping that's not going to happen. Didn't we just make Alaska Express only, with Hawaii next to follow??

At Express we are still aggressively hiring for full-time positions. I sure would hope we wouldn't be doing that as a company if the plan is to layoff a good majority of the Express workforce, or forcefully turn then into contracted workers soon.

Empty Pockets

We did get a step progression this year and not a percentage. You got a step progression too didn't you?
No, I did not. I have been trying to find out if the couriers got one and they do not know either. They do not even know what step they are on without looking at the chart.

It will be fine

Can you elaborate at all or at least give a little more clarity on the scope of things?? So far my understanding is that there will definitely be a shifting of the rural areas and markets nationwide to exclusively Ground. I'm not aware of a complete merger across the board. At least, I'm hoping that's not going to happen. Didn't we just make Alaska Express only, with Hawaii next to follow??

At Express we are still aggressively hiring for full-time positions. I sure would hope we wouldn't be doing that as a company if the plan is to layoff a good majority of the Express workforce, or forcefully turn then into contracted workers soon.
They won’t layoff the Express drivers. They will change the schedule and hours and let them quit. Turnover is high enough already, it won’t take much to get people to leave on their own.

bbsam

Staff member
That would be the funniest thing in the world if true.

Think about it. Patton lost all of his alleged 250 routes because he stirred the pot a little too vigorously in an attempt to force the company's hand to give contractors something they were going to be giving them anyway.
How do you think the lawsuit turns out?

fedx

Extra Large Package
They won’t layoff the Express drivers. They will change the schedule and hours and let them quit. Turnover is high enough already, it won’t take much to get people to leave on their own.

The couriers can get unemployment if they quit if FedEx "substantially" changes the employees' hours. In most states if your pay or hours substantially change, you can quit and still get unemployment. The question is what defines substantially? FedEx might change start times by a couple of hours and that might not be considered substantial. Also, many people have bills to pay and can't afford to live on unemployment. But for those that can afford it, I'd tell them to quit if their hours change and take unemployment and milk it for however long you can in your state.

59 Dano

If the logistics and money justify it, it goes to Ground.

59 Dano

How do you think the lawsuit turns out?
It could go any number of ways depending on various things but I don't think it will amount to much of anything. FedEx drops the suit if boy wonder agrees to play nice and says all the right things. He still has the right to say whatever he wants about FedEx, but he's staying quiet. I'd say he's learning.

59 Dano

The couriers can get unemployment if they quit if FedEx "substantially" changes the employees' hours. In most states if your pay or hours substantially change, you can quit and still get unemployment. The question is what defines substantially? FedEx might change start times by a couple of hours and that might not be considered substantial. Also, many people have bills to pay and can't afford to live on unemployment. But for those that can afford it, I'd tell them to quit if their hours change and take unemployment and milk it for however long you can in your state.
If your schedule changes significantly (per People Manual of PBP, wherever the policy is) you have the option to accept the changes, to transfer, or to bump a less senior employee. Hard to quit and collect UI when you are presented with options to avoid those changes.

Guitarman01

Maybe where FedEx express is efficient and effective they keep it. Where it's not they don't. I don't see though how they merge employees with full benefits with workers that don't, but I also don't see making express couriers part of the contracted group that lose their pay and benefits without a mass exodus and a big problem for Fedex. If they want to protect their name brand and service level, I don't see how a full contractor model works, in fact I thought it would have been the opposite.

It will be fine

Maybe where FedEx express is efficient and effective they keep it. Where it's not they don't. I don't see though how they merge employees with full benefits with workers that don't, but I also don't see making express couriers part of the contracted group that lose their pay and benefits without a mass exodus and a big problem for Fedex.
They don’t merge any employees. They contract the service to Ground. There is no merger, they don’t make express couriers do anything. The work moves, the people don’t matter.

bbsam

Staff member
It could go any number of ways depending on various things but I don't think it will amount to much of anything. FedEx drops the suit if boy wonder agrees to play nice and says all the right things. He still has the right to say whatever he wants about FedEx, but he's staying quiet. I'd say he's learning.
Certainly that is how John Smith is praying it works out.