Express - Post Peak Antics...

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Last time I checked they don't have to get out of the seat in the Sprinter or a van for you to be able to do your job. The only thing that they will impede in a Sprinter will be getting to the bulkhead door unlock, and if they are too stupid to shimmy to the right after you put it in park and pull the keys out of the ign, they deserve the stab in the face to remind them.

The fact that most engi-worthlesses think they are "too good for the road", including ours, belittles the people who are on the road. Yes, it's great that one day I can do 60 on this route, but let me show you the stuff that you can't see on Bing or via the numbers that cause me to be able to only do 45 the other day.

Don't know why you're complaining about the engineer. The issues you're brining up are in the wheelhouse of your manager.

59 Dano

Might be nice for them too see THE REAL WORLD for a change.

OK, they ride with a courier and see THE REAL WORLD. Then they go back to doing what they do, and that's working with managers and seniors to create the plans that the managers and seniors want. Most of the engineer work that a courier will see is a reflection of the manager/senior who asked for it.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
OK, they ride with a courier and see THE REAL WORLD. Then they go back to doing what they do, and that's working with managers and seniors to create the plans that the managers and seniors want. Most of the engineer work that a courier will see is a reflection of the manager/senior who asked for it.
Do you mean that they KNOW that crossing a 4-lane divided highway back and forth in order to deliver consecutive odd+even addresses isn't productive, like DRA plots it?

I think that's the REAL WORLD that @Cactus is referring to.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Do you mean that they KNOW that crossing a 4-lane divided highway back and forth in order to deliver consecutive odd+even addresses isn't productive, like DRA plots it?

Take it back! Passing a stop on the right hand side, stopping at a red light, then making a uturn a little further down the 4-lane divided highway to make a delivery on the left, to then come back through the light and make another uturn to deliver the stop you passed first HAS to be more productive. DRA says so! Lol.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Take it back! Passing a stop on the right hand side, stopping at a red light, then making a uturn a little further down the 4-lane divided highway to make a delivery on the left, to then come back through the light and make another uturn to deliver the stop you passed first HAS to be more productive. DRA says so! Lol.
Forgot the part about waving to your neighboring route as you cross paths all day, too!

59 Dano

Blame an engineer for the limitations of the software?

In that case, he's blaming the wrong person, but that never stopped him before.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Blame an engineer for the limitations of the software?.
If the ROADS engineers aren’t forcefully communicating the shortcomings of the software to the programmers, then they are equally culpable. If they are, and it’s not being properly addressed, then that’s management.
Since management has insulated itself from feedback from frontline employees, by placing engineers as barriers, then the backlash against the engineers should be expected.

59 Dano

If the ROADS engineers aren’t forcefully communicating the shortcomings of the software to the programmers, then they are equally culpable. If they are, and it’s not being properly addressed, then that’s management.

Yelling at a programmer doesn't make the issue any easier to fix.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
I would expect a rebuttal like that from OF, not you. Programmers are paid to produce results. If they don't they shouldn't be paid. Setting an inflexible minimum expectation of results isn't yelling. It's holding their ass to the fire just like you advocate for couriers.

Oldfart

I would expect a rebuttal like that from OF, not you. Programmers are paid to produce results. If they don't they shouldn't be paid. Setting an inflexible minimum expectation of results isn't yelling. It's holding their ass to the fire just like you advocate for couriers.
Don't involve me in your ROADS argument. I have never ran it and know nothing about it

SmithBarney

Blame an engineer for the limitations of the software?
Garbage IN Garbage OUT... basically if its not programmed correctly your result will also be incorrect.

Computer Programs only do what you tell them, if you tell them something erroneous, it'll do something erroneous.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
So then we’ll just yell at couriers for not achieving goals based on erroneous information engineers pull out their ass. Sounds like your idea of a fix.

59 Dano

I think you're grossly underestimating the limitations of technology and equally overestimating the ability of people to overcome them.

Garbage IN Garbage OUT... basically if its not programmed correctly your result will also be incorrect.

Computer Programs only do what you tell them, if you tell them something erroneous, it'll do something erroneous.

If it was that easy to fix, perhaps they would have it fixed by now.

Last edited:

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
I think you're grossly underestimating the limitations of technology and equally overestimating the ability of people to overcome them.
If the technology ain’t cutting it, then get rid of it. Simple as that. How many years did couriers do just fine without ROADS or DRA?