Express - Post Peak Antics...

dezguy

If the technology ain’t cutting it, then get rid of it. Simple as that. How many years did couriers do just fine without ROADS or DRA?
They won't get rid of it because that is the technology they've chosen to eliminate the need for couriers, in the future.

DeliveryException

I keep hearing about a new updated and different system that is supposed to short learn the way a courier runs their route as well as be able to add new streets in manually. I'm not holding my breath.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
They won't get rid of it because that is the technology they've chosen to eliminate the need for couriers, in the future.
They’re always gonna need couriers. They thought that ROADS was going to be a way to get anybody into the drivers seat regardless of skills. Doesn’t always work that way as I hope they’re finding out.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
They’re always gonna need couriers. They thought that ROADS was going to be a way to get anybody into the drivers seat regardless of skills. Doesn’t always work that way as I hope they’re finding out.
Judging by what I’ve seen with new hires at my station, they CAN get anybody in the driver’s seat. Problem is, most are nowhere near as productive, no will ever be, as a ten+ year courier.

Purplepackage

Judging by what I’ve seen with new hires at my station, they CAN get anybody in the driver’s seat. Problem is, most are nowhere near as productive, no will ever be, as a ten+ year courier.

Had a guy once who tried to set everything up in alphabetical order and run the route that way. Safe to say he’s no longer with the company

dezguy

I known it in the company's mind, one day they can just pay all of us handler rates for sitting in the truck while a robot drives around all day. Body's will only be needed to get the pkg from the truck to the door, until they can get a robot to do that to.

Unfortunately, for them their program sucks.

Oldfart

I known it in the company's mind, one day they can just pay all of us handler rates for sitting in the truck while a robot drives around all day. Body's will only be needed to get the pkg from the truck to the door, until they can get a robot to do that to.

Unfortunately, for them their program sucks.
Been watching too much Science Fiction

Star B

White Lightening
Yelling at a programmer doesn't make the issue any easier to fix.
Look, there's nothing that's holding FXE back from fixing ROADs/DRA. The NAVTEQ data already has side-of-road indicators, type of road indicators (major highway, divided highway, etc) and adding the ability to do multiple commits is just another sort item. If the programmers can't figure it out, they need better programmers. Hell, I can conceptualize it and create the process. If I can do it, I'm sure someone with a BS in CS can.

If the technology ain’t cutting it, then get rid of it. Simple as that. How many years did couriers do just fine without ROADS or DRA?
Well, when ROADS/DRA goes down at our station all hell breaks loose because everyone "fergot" how to run a route. Except the SRA areas, they are just fine.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!

True, as they didn't need ROADS to get someone like you, did they?

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Look, there's nothing that's holding FXE back from fixing ROADs/DRA. The NAVTEQ data already has side-of-road indicators, type of road indicators (major highway, divided highway, etc) and adding the ability to do multiple commits is just another sort item. If the programmers can't figure it out, they need better programmers. Hell, I can conceptualize it and create the process. If I can do it, I'm sure someone with a BS in CS can.

And me, I think doctors can cure cancer if they really try. They can cure other stuff.

Star B

White Lightening
And me, I think doctors can cure cancer if they really try. They can cure other stuff.
Nice strawman. How about we talk about a man made problem versus a problem that was caused by nature that's not totally understood yet. The fact is that my personal garmin, which uses NAVTEQ data, can tell me "in 300 feet, your destination is on the left" tells me that the data is available. The rest is just tweaking the algorithm. Yes, The TSP problem is real and hard to figure out, but a company with thousands of trucks and millions of data points, the current solution shouldn't still exist.