Express - Post Peak Antics...

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Nice strawman. How about we talk about a man made problem versus a problem that was caused by nature that's not totally understood yet. The fact is that my personal garmin, which uses NAVTEQ data, can tell me "in 300 feet, your destination is on the left" tells me that the data is available. The rest is just tweaking the algorithm. Yes, The TSP problem is real and hard to figure out, but a company with thousands of trucks and millions of data points, the current solution shouldn't still exist.

Same thing. It's a problem that no one has solved. You seem to think FedEx should be able to solve it just by "tweaking the algorithm" because your Garmin can guide you to one address. It's such a simplistic and uninformed way to look at it that it's laughable. It's like a customer who thinks there's no excuse why his P1 should ever be late because it was shipped at noon the prior day from only 100 miles away and he can drive 100 miles in only a couple of hours.

Star B

White Lightening
Same thing. It's a problem that no one has solved. You seem to think FedEx should be able to solve it just by "tweaking the algorithm" because your Garmin can guide you to one address. It's such a simplistic and uninformed way to look at it that it's laughable.

My "It can guide me to the address" states that the data is available for purchase and use. If Express decides not to use it, then they are the idiots. "Tweaking the algo" means "fixing where it sends the courier past an address then backtracking to one it made them go past or delivering to the wrong side of a multi-lane highway". I mean, how old is the map data that we are using? Soon it's going to be as old as those Smith system videos that are "copied from VHS" onto the Intranet.

It's like a customer who thinks there's no excuse why his P1 should ever be late because it was shipped at noon the prior day from only 100 miles away and he can drive 100 miles in only a couple of hours.
Computational power versus manpower are two different things. Computational power can be added and reassigned at-whim during the day. I hate to say it but now I'm starting to understand how @Cactus feels.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
My "It can guide me to the address" states that the data is available for purchase and use. If Express decides not to use it, then they are the idiots. "Tweaking the algo" means "fixing where it sends the courier past an address then backtracking to one it made them go past or delivering to the wrong side of a multi-lane highway". I mean, how old is the map data that we are using? Soon it's going to be as old as those Smith system videos that are "copied from VHS" onto the Intranet

Computational power versus manpower are two different things. Computational power can be added and reassigned at-whim during the day. I hate to say it but now I'm starting to understand how @Cactus feels.

Just curious - what's your tech background with logistics programming and software engineering?