-FAIL - Florida Gov. Rick Scott drug testing welfare applicants -FAIL-

klein

Für Meno :)
No problem, Republicans aren't nationwide just now, or they could add another trillion to debt for that purpose, or no wait - they rather cut off medicare to do drug testing.

P

pickup

The real issue here is found in the math. Just woke up so I am not so clear. They say the drug test is 30 dollars a person. Using their numbers, 1500 people a month ,1500 x 12=18,000 drug tests a year. 18,000 x $30 =$540,000. So why is it I come up $540,000 dollars for the cost of drug testing and the cost for the fiscal year is $178 million(as stated in the article).

If I am doing the math right and the figures provided are correct, there is something very wrong going on here.

moreluck

golden ticket member
No problem, Republicans aren't nationwide just now, or they could add another trillion to debt for that purpose, or no wait - they rather cut off medicare to do drug testing.
Do they speak English in Canada ?????????????? Republicans aren't nationwide ?? Yeah right, they're not permitted east of the Mississippi!!!

P

pickup

I was reading the comments, someone said that 178 million is the cost of the entire welfare program in the state. That sounds right and I tend to believe the reporting was bad in that article as the ways they stated some things were rather vague.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
The real issue here is found in the math. Just woke up so I am not so clear. They say the drug test is 30 dollars a person. Using their numbers, 1500 people a month ,1500 x 12=18,000 drug tests a year. 18,000 x $30 =$540,000. So why is it I come up $540,000 dollars for the cost of drug testing and the cost for the fiscal year is $178 million(as stated in the article).

If I am doing the math right and the figures provided are correct, there is something very wrong going on here.

What you're calculating is strictly the cost of the drug test itself, ie, what the state pays a lab to test a sample. The total cost of the program will include things like additional staffing, training and certification for those involved in the process, the expansion/construction of new/existing facilities, and probably other associated costs that I'm not thinking of, etc.

P

pickup

What you're calculating is strictly the cost of the drug test itself, ie, what the state pays a lab to test a sample. The total cost of the program will include things like additional staffing, training and certification for those involved in the process, the expansion/construction of new/existing facilities, and probably other associated costs that I'm not thinking of, etc.

Yes, I believe maybe two extra people would be needed at Welfare to check that a drug test was administered and the result was negative. But as for new/existing facilities, the labs , I presume are private. They eat the costs of building them and I would wager money that there is one company (with many Labs) that paid ,um .. I am sorry, contributed good money to the state GOP, to get the monopoly contract. So they would have no issue renting a few more store fronts filled with a few low grade "nurses" to collect piss in bottles. I can assure you $30 dollars is a tad bit high for a drug test. The lab company is making a killing here but that is not the issue really and forgive me as I am going back to bed in a min so I am tired and rambling.

Point is the infrastructure additions and maintenance is on the lab and they have no problem with that because they are making big bucks on a cheap drug test.

The real issue here is the lousy reporting in the article. Very Very unclear.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Yes, I believe maybe two extra people would be needed at Welfare to check that a drug test was administered and the result was negative. But as for new/existing facilities, the labs , I presume are private. They eat the costs of building them and I would wager money that there is one company (with many Labs) that paid ,um .. I am sorry, contributed good money to the state GOP, to get the monopoly contract. So they would have no issue renting a few more store fronts filled with a few low grade "nurses" to collect piss in bottles. I can assure you $30 dollars is a tad bit high for a drug test. The lab company is making a killing here but that is not the issue really and forgive me as I am going back to bed in a min so I am tired and rambling.

Point is the infrastructure additions and maintenance is on the lab and they have no problem with that because they are making big bucks on a cheap drug test.

I agree that the article was vague. As far as associated costs it depends on how/where the tests are conducted. As far as I know most labs do not participate in the actual collection process they just test the sample, so it would be state employees or contractors who actually administer the tests and transport the samples to the lab and those costs have to factored in as well.

brett636

Why should the math matter when your trying to push an agenda? Sorry sleeve, but the only failure here is your article and an inability to do simple math.

klein

Für Meno :)
The fact reamins , it's costing the State of Florida now much more money.
There are more articles on the net and even a video. Search for those (my internet connection is so slow lately, and not sure if it's my cable modem, by pc modem, or the wifi modem, or even the cable company itself)... So, go ahead, they pop right up.

brett636

The fact reamins , it's costing the State of Florida now much more money.
There are more articles on the net and even a video. Search for those (my internet connection is so slow lately, and not sure if it's my cable modem, by pc modem, or the wifi modem, or even the cable company itself)... So, go ahead, they pop right up.

If you go by the faulty math in the article then yes, it is costing the state more money than it is saving. This faulty math is the only math I would expect a liquored up wiener handler to understand.

Plus those are jobs being created for people who don't use illegal drugs and will probably be paying .....TAXES.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Why should the math matter when your trying to push an agenda? Sorry sleeve, but the only failure here is your article and an inability to do simple math.
So what you are saying is that the drug testing saved Florida money? Let me understand this...I really do want to.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
So what you are saying is that the drug testing saved Florida money? Let me understand this...I really do want to.

"They" know its costing florida MORE money to run these tests, FOXED SPEWS themselves told them that today. "They" say, if someone wants state money, they should be tested, but not corporations who ask for the money in state contracts, or lawyers who ask the state for money, or school boards who ask for money, as if DRUG use doesnt exist in the upper pay grades.

Simpletons.

Only 2% tested positive, while 98% tested negative and have to be paid for those tests at around 35 bucks each. Multiply that by lets say 500K and you get......a big number.( i made it easy for moreluck and brett and trip)

There are plenty of "rich" people and their families and kids using DRUGS in this country and they too recieve tax payer money.

The fact is, nobody wants to find out if White people are doing drugs, just minorities.

Peace.