Fedex careers?

vantexan

And at FedEx Express, in my location, you can start at $16.08 as a PT courier....and you don't have to wait 2-7 years to do so. Of course the argument is that if you can make FT at UPS in under 15-20 years you can make $30+/hr, and you would be around $20-$25 at Express. So do you want to make more over then next 10-15 years, or wait 10-20 years hoping to make FT and make more then?

I'll break $20hr after 17 years. Sure, you can start at $14.46hr now here, I was rehired at $10.85 and took 2 hits dropping from swing to regular courier. What you aren't saying is that UPS will negotiate higher pay with new contracts as inflation increases. FedEx will stretch you out forever with your purchasing power eaten alive by inflation. According to the Dept of Labor inflation calculator my $17.09 in 2010 was the equivalent of $12.77 in 1998 when I was rehired. So poor raises, some years no raise, healthcare cost increased every year, traditional pension terminated, and yet you want to argue we at FedEx somehow have it better than UPS. Do you burst out laughing when you type this? You actually seem like a decent fellow but dude, seriously, Fred won, you no longer have to spread the disinformation!

UnconTROLLed

perfection
So which is it? $13 after 5 years or $24 after 2 years? Pretty big difference there.
It is both. There are different pay rates based upon classfiication.

$12.87/hr after 4 years for a PT inside worker.
$23/hr after 2 years PT air driving
$25/hr after 3 years FT inside
$30/hr after 3 years FT driving

The last 3 are "top rate" and I put a rough number, the pennies vary depending on region.

hmm sorry to mention I'm just a package handler starting off. I guess by "careers" i wasnt limiting my self to only driving, but anything thatd I'd be able to live off of fairly well. Basically, I was wondering if i put in the time at FedEx will it eventually pay off or not. It seems like UPS is better for what im thinking. But for now I'll stick with fedex.

HomeDelivery

IDK, if you venture out to the main forums, it's starting to become like Fedex, (but UPS still have better pay & benefits)

just take advantage of the benefits as a package handler, like their college tuition reimbursement, and move forward

good luck in your path

FedEx2000

I'll break $20hr after 17 years. Sure, you can start at $14.46hr now here, I was rehired at $10.85 and took 2 hits dropping from swing to regular courier. What you aren't saying is that UPS will negotiate higher pay with new contracts as inflation increases. FedEx will stretch you out forever with your purchasing power eaten alive by inflation. According to the Dept of Labor inflation calculator my $17.09 in 2010 was the equivalent of $12.77 in 1998 when I was rehired. So poor raises, some years no raise, healthcare cost increased every year, traditional pension terminated, and yet you want to argue we at FedEx somehow have it better than UPS. Do you burst out laughing when you type this? You actually seem like a decent fellow but dude, seriously, Fred won, you no longer have to spread the disinformation!

Van, you quit and came back....so it hasn't been 17 years of continuous service, that makes a difference in your pay as you stated. Had you been here 17 years straight you would have already been topped. Not saying I agree with it, just that it is what it is, and you can't change that now. What disinformation am I spreading? What part of my post was untrue? I was at $18.69 in March of 2007 before going in to mgmt, started as a handler in April of 2000 for $9.69, became a courier in September of 2000. Lowest review was a 6.7...so assume say 2.1% in 2010 and 4.0% this year...that would put me at $19.84 with 11 years. That would easily put me over $20 before the 15-20 year range as I stated. Also, you are assuming that UPS will negotiate higher wages without any kind of compromise on who pays for health insurance/pension costs etc.

My point was that you will earn more in the first 10-15 years as a courier at Express than you would at UPS assuming that it would take at least 5-10 years to make it on as a driver there, especially FT.....at which point you would make more at UPS obviously. Even as a PT courier at Express you can easily get 30 hrs, more if you want it in most cases. Also, easier/faster to get FT at Express vs. UPS so a FT Express courier making $15-$20 the first 10-15 yrs vs. a PT Air driver at UPS for $24 will make more over that time....FT Express would work more hours obviously also. So the extra money made at the beginning of ones career can outweigh the money made later depending on the circumstances.....what is saved/put in 401k etc. $1 today is worth more than $1 tomorrow as they say.

If you get on at UPS young and get in a driving position fairly quickly is it better? If your only criteria is $, then absolutely....won't dispute that at all. That isn't the end all be all for everyone though. I applied at UPS and FedEx at the same time, FedEx called back quicker...UPS about a week later, so here I am. I have transferred to new stations 4 times also, at UPS you have to basically quit and get re-hired.....that would have pretty much ruled me out from having done that. FedEx also paid for almost all of my college expenses, be it reimbursement or through my wages. I also haven't had the experiences that some have with bad managers. I've had a couple that definitely could have been better, but they weren't vindictive or out to get anyone fired either. So, for me personally I can't complain. I understand your road has been a little bumpier, and I respect the fact that you still work hard everyday. My experience has just been different here so I'm not going to tell everyone on here that FedEx sucks and UPS is better in every way possible. I prefer to present my experience here and let them decide on their own. I am more Pro-FedEx than most on here due to my experiences, but I have no hatred for UPS either. Many of my friends parents worked there growing up and I always got along with the UPS drivers on my routes. As a FedEx employee I want to see us do better than them, but I wish no ill will towards any of their employees.

vantexan

Van, you quit and came back....so it hasn't been 17 years of continuous service, that makes a difference in your pay as you stated. Had you been here 17 years straight you would have already been topped. Not saying I agree with it, just that it is what it is, and you can't change that now. What disinformation am I spreading?

Actually I had over 11 years in the first go round, over 12 now. Assuming they give us raises every year I'll break $20hr 17 years after being rehired. I don't think you guys realize how hard it is to make headway on the lowest payscale. I'll also be taking a huge hit next review due to having to take all my sick days with the angioplasty.

I have to ask, what is the single biggest group at either UPS or FedEx? Drivers/couriers. By far. Point being that handlers wanting to become drivers at UPS are trying to break into a much larger group. And UPS is projecting the need for many thousands of new drivers to replace retirees. Once in it's 3 well paid years to max pay with great benefits. All I'm asking for is accelerating us to our top-out in a reasonable time. Whatever advantage we may have up front gets quickly blown away and well worth the wait to become a UPS driver. We can watch Frontline videos all we want touting how admired the company is and how much they care, if they don't open the purse strings soon they'll have alot of very unhappy, disgruntled people looking for an exit. So yes, if you are trying to convince a prospective employee FedEx is the way to go then you are spreading disinformation in my book.

By the way, I withdrew from a job posting 2 weeks ago due to extremely expensive housing in that area(on the lowest payscale of course). Unfortunately I had never withdrawn after accepting an offer letter before and didn't know the consequences. My mgr said there may be a time penalty involved but claimed he didn't know what it was. After I withdrew he then told me sorry, company policy, can't apply for anything for a year. And of course another position came open that would've put me near my mom and sister, higher payscale too. Nope, wouldn't verify it and HR backed him up. This is the guy who lied about schedule and duties to get me to transfer here. So let's see, I'm diabetic, on one year DOT card due to high blood pressure, on 6 different meds, nearly died in January due to a 99% clogged artery. Even told him during peak, before the artery problem, how tough being away from my family during the holidays is getting. Wonder why I have such a high opinion of FedEx?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Actually I had over 11 years in the first go round, over 12 now. Assuming they give us raises every year I'll break $20hr 17 years after being rehired. I don't think you guys realize how hard it is to make headway on the lowest payscale. I'll also be taking a huge hit next review due to having to take all my sick days with the angioplasty.

I have to ask, what is the single biggest group at either UPS or FedEx? Drivers/couriers. By far. Point being that handlers wanting to become drivers at UPS are trying to break into a much larger group. And UPS is projecting the need for many thousands of new drivers to replace retirees. Once in it's 3 well paid years to max pay with great benefits. All I'm asking for is accelerating us to our top-out in a reasonable time. Whatever advantage we may have up front gets quickly blown away and well worth the wait to become a UPS driver. We can watch Frontline videos all we want touting how admired the company is and how much they care, if they don't open the purse strings soon they'll have alot of very unhappy, disgruntled people looking for an exit. So yes, if you are trying to convince a prospective employee FedEx is the way to go then you are spreading disinformation in my book.

By the way, I withdrew from a job posting 2 weeks ago due to extremely expensive housing in that area(on the lowest payscale of course). Unfortunately I had never withdrawn after accepting an offer letter before and didn't know the consequences. My mgr said there may be a time penalty involved but claimed he didn't know what it was. After I withdrew he then told me sorry, company policy, can't apply for anything for a year. And of course another position came open that would've put me near my mom and sister, higher payscale too. Nope, wouldn't verify it and HR backed him up. This is the guy who lied about schedule and duties to get me to transfer here. So let's see, I'm diabetic, on one year DOT card due to high blood pressure, on 6 different meds, nearly died in January due to a 99% clogged artery. Even told him during peak, before the artery problem, how tough being away from my family during the holidays is getting. Wonder why I have such a high opinion of FedEx?

FedEx "Cares".

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I'd settle for honesty. I believe MFE is referring to past PR campaigns designed to lull us into believing it's ok to not be paid well because, after all, they really, really care about us.

BINGO. One of the more recent poster campaigns is "FedEx Cares'. It's aimed more at charitable causes, but it's also designed IMO to show how much they "care" for us devoted and loving employees.

FedEx2000

Like I said Van, we have not had the same experiences here. You have had some bad luck coupled with a few idiots sprinkled in that have not exactly made it any easier for you. The whole not knowing about the consequences of withdrawing from a signed offer letter is crap. If you have a decent HR rep in your district I would suggest running those kind of questions through them after your mgr from now on, especially if his answer is "I'm not sure."....or maybe the SR if he/she is any better. I can completely understand why you feel the way you do, but can you also see my side? 99.5% of my experiences have been positive ones. So in my book it isn't disinformation, just my opinion/experience.

And I 100% agree that "top-out"/mid-range wages should be accelerated.....I've said that multiple times. Just yesterday on a CC this was brought up....again. I know it's been going on for a while, but i really hope they address it soon. My understanding is that about 75% of hourly employees fall into the mid-range category so it's a huge chunk of money we're talking about and another issue is how to do it fairly. Everyone has their ideas, but it could be a huge liability if not done properly......I hope it's addressed long before I leave here though.

Was your surgery/angioplasty not FMLA covered?

vantexan

Was your surgery/angioplasty not FMLA covered?

Not sure why you are asking?

The problem with going to the company about bad mgrs, at least in my experience, is that the company may get after them in private, but they'll often deny any wrong doing by the mgr to the employee. I'm assuming that it's due to possible litigation. When you've really been done wrong it's extremely demoralizing to have the people who are so supposed to protect you say things like "plenty of employees get their guaranteed 35 hrs on more than 5 days.". As if forcing a FTer to work 6 days to get 35-37 hrs is perfectly fine. I have no faith in upper mgmt to be fair, only expect them to take action when a mgr has done something so blatantly wrong they can't get around it without opening the company up to a lawsuit. So I've just taken it and taken it. And it's a big part of my health problems.

In today's USAToday Walmart is claiming serious inflation will be coming soon, more so than what we're currently experiencing. You can bet FedEx will hold out until then, and then claim they're meeting our needs by raising our pay. And I'm betting when it's examined closely we won't be any better off. Meanwhile my future fixed benefit pension won't be worth squat. No matter how you slice and dice it, we mid-range employees have been and will continue to be used. Otherwise FedEx WILL top us out as inflation ramps up because they really do care. Not holding my breath.

FedExer267

BINGO. One of the more recent poster campaigns is "FedEx Cares'. It's aimed more at charitable causes, but it's also designed IMO to show how much they "care" for us devoted and loving employees.

Ya like at Christmas time when we go in to get our scanners in the morning and they have a list of everyone in the building, before they give you your scanner you will hear hey you have not donated yet to the families we are doing Christmas for. Oh really am I on that list. I always tell them as much as I would love to help a family in need I myself am in need I work for this place which means I am scrapping just to make sure my kids get a Christmas.
Its all part of the FedEx Cares deal well if our buildings are going to do this have Mr. Smith donate to them instead of giving his money to politicians.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Ya like at Christmas time when we go in to get our scanners in the morning and they have a list of everyone in the building, before they give you your scanner you will hear hey you have not donated yet to the families we are doing Christmas for. Oh really am I on that list. I always tell them as much as I would love to help a family in need I myself am in need I work for this place which means I am scrapping just to make sure my kids get a Christmas.
Its all part of the FedEx Cares deal well if our buildings are going to do this have Mr. Smith donate to them instead of giving his money to politicians.

Ironic, isn't it? They want you to donate so FedEx looks good, but you could actually be a recipient of the charity due to your low wages. In recent years, FedEx has really stepped-up the PR hype about how great they are in terms of charitable causes while they starve-out their own employees at the same time. Every year we get the pitch for the United Way and March of Dimes so Fred looks good. Managers used to take us into their office and "discuss" out contributions, even recommending that we give a certain percentage.

I donate privately, because I absolutely do not want FedEx taking credit for it. So do many others, and a lot of people are no longer supporting any FedEx-promoted charities for the same reason.

I'm still waiting for the Republican outrage over the defacto subsidies Fred S receives for his Express and Ground divisions. We won't, because they're all in his pocket.

FedEx2000

Not sure why you are asking?

The problem with going to the company about bad mgrs, at least in my experience, is that the company may get after them in private, but they'll often deny any wrong doing by the mgr to the employee. I'm assuming that it's due to possible litigation. When you've really been done wrong it's extremely demoralizing to have the people who are so supposed to protect you say things like "plenty of employees get their guaranteed 35 hrs on more than 5 days.". As if forcing a FTer to work 6 days to get 35-37 hrs is perfectly fine. I have no faith in upper mgmt to be fair, only expect them to take action when a mgr has done something so blatantly wrong they can't get around it without opening the company up to a lawsuit. So I've just taken it and taken it. And it's a big part of my health problems.

In today's USAToday Walmart is claiming serious inflation will be coming soon, more so than what we're currently experiencing. You can bet FedEx will hold out until then, and then claim they're meeting our needs by raising our pay. And I'm betting when it's examined closely we won't be any better off. Meanwhile my future fixed benefit pension won't be worth squat. No matter how you slice and dice it, we mid-range employees have been and will continue to be used. Otherwise FedEx WILL top us out as inflation ramps up because they really do care. Not holding my breath.

Sorry, I thought you had posted something about how you would take a hit on your review for the missed time due to the surgery....that was why I asked, must have been thinking of another post at the time.

I didn't mean complain to HR about the Mgr necessarily, I just meant to ask the HR rep about the consequences of backing out of a signed offer letter since your mgr supposedly didn't know.

quadro

Sorry, I thought you had posted something about how you would take a hit on your review for the missed time due to the surgery....that was why I asked, must have been thinking of another post at the time.

I didn't mean complain to HR about the Mgr necessarily, I just meant to ask the HR rep about the consequences of backing out of a signed offer letter since your mgr supposedly didn't know.
He did say he would take a hit on his review, which, as you were trying to point out, is probably incorrect. Easier to assume than get pertinent facts.

quadro

Did you ask what would happen if you signed the offer letter and then changed your mind? It's not clear whether you asked before or after you signed the letter. My guess is after but regardless of that let's look at the situation. You signed an offer letter which tells anyone after you on the posting that the position has been filled. Perhaps they don't care or perhaps they take their second choice somewhere else. Lots of possibilities. Also, the hiring location, which obviously is in need of staffing now has to effectively start over. So your decision to change your mind, which FedEx does allow you to do albeit with a penalty, may have had a large impact on other employees. Employees that accepted a different job but would rather have had the one you accepted and employees at the hiring location that now have to wait longer to get the help they need. It is a big deal to sign an offer letter and then withdraw, that's why there's a penalty.

As for your medical condition, I'm sorry to hear about it but why should you get preferential treatment? Part of being a People company is acknowledging that People is plural. If you get preferential treatment that is not available to other employees, how is that fair to everyone else. Or is it only a People company if you get your way and to hell with everyone else?

vantexan

He did say he would take a hit on his review, which, as you were trying to point out, is probably incorrect. Easier to assume than get pertinent facts.

I was required to take my remaining sick days(4) before I went on short-term disability. As to discussing what my mgr said to me with HR, I did. To be exact I went to my mgr and asked if it's possible to withdraw from the position I had accepted due to not being able to find anything affordable in that area that wasn't immediately grabbed by someone local. That landlords weren't willing to deal with someone from out of state when they had 3 or 4 prospective tenants there(very popular beach/university town). Happened over and over. Mgr said he would ask HR, sent me msg saying HR said I could withdraw up to the reporting date. When I saw mgr that night asked him what did I need to do besides withdraw on the computer. Told me to contact hiring mgr AND SAID THERE MAY BE A TIME PENALTY INVOLVED(exact words). I asked him how much is that? HE REPLIED HE DIDN'T KNOW, WOULD HAVE TO ASK HR. It never occured to me that he might be trying to evade giving answer. He knew I was trying to get near my mom and sister. At any rate I should have gotten the answer before I withdrew. But that would still leave me having to find a place to live. And as FedEx doesn't tell you in JCATS that you'll be penalized a whole year, they really put you between a rock and a hard place.

So 2 days after I withdrew there's an opening for a domiciled courier slightly farther than the other from my mom but with a much better cost of living. So I put in for it, then tell my mgr about it. He's saying no I can't. I point out that hiring mgr of previous posting never contacted him, which policy clearly states he must. That I was just in system as "verified", he never entered that position was filled. My mgr calls HR. She tells me that only thing that matters is I put my signature on the offer letter accepting it, doesn't matter that hiring mgr didn't follow policy. She shows up that Wedsnday and we have conference. She tells me she'll ask her boss about the policy and get back with me if exception can be made. I don't hear anything until I called her Friday morning and she says her boss "is on a conference call.". Said she call that afternoon but I call back at 1730 after hearing nothing. She seems irritated, says it's under review, and agrees that I'm not going to get an answer before job closes out that night. She mentions possibility of getting future hardship transfer based on my needs. I say I'm going GFT rt. Decide to call district director and left 2 long msgs. He calls me at home Sunday morning and we have good discussion. But I point out a hardship transfer will just land me in a rt that no one wants and that I'm just not able anymore, that they aren't going to create anything special for me. That's why I wanted that rural domicile so bad. He agrees that's likely the case. Said he would look into it and sounded like he meant it but I told him if it's too late for that posting there's no point going further with it. If he's done anything I haven't heard. Oh, HR rep told me I should have been aware of the policy of being disqualified from applying for one year after withdrawing from an offer letter I accepted. I pointed out my mgr said he didn't know what the penalty was. Got an odd look. Also told her and director about being lied to before coming go this station, as well as having to go to HR(in previous district) to get current rt as he tried to prevent me from getting it. He called me at home to read the policy to me by the way after I applied for the domicile. I said to him then that with my health issues and trying to get near family why not just let me go? He talked about how I got everything I wanted when I GFTed him shortly after transferring in. I told him that wasn't true and now I'm seeing all of this as a little getting even for going over his head twice, and being able to use policy to do it. So there you go.