Fedex careers?

LTFedExer

You got lucky.
Yes I did. Though, as I said, taking the position at station 2 wouldn't have killed me. It would have just made my commute longer for 4 days instead of shorter for 5.
I'd have to double check this but I think the way you get blocked is that you get a warning letter which effectively prohibits you from putting in for other jobs for 12 months.
It's actually the hiring manager that would do the blocking. My manager told me something to the effect that he can block me. I think it's an option they can do in the system. Being that I know the hiring manager (I see him a couple of times a year), maybe that helped.....I dunno.
Having said that, I'm glad it worked out for you but when managers are too inept to follow policy that's when bigger and bigger issues tend to come up.
As I've said before, be lucky or not, my experiences at FedEx in my 11 years have been mostly positive.
To the OP, if you are still reading this, the loyalists want you to believe that you'll have a solid future with FedEx. And usually they have a vested interest in pushing that. If you choose to work at Express you may decide that this job only pays enough to get by with hopefully no major financial disasters. If you try Ground you'll quickly realize it's great for certain people, but not for you unless you consider working very long hrs for minimal pay with no benefits great. UPS will make you earn every penny but they pay quite a few more pennies with great benefits. Good luck with your choice.
If I was to choose now, I would go with FedEx UNLESS I know I can get into a driving position within 3 years at UPS. There's NO WAY I would be a loader for an unknown amount of time. Maybe being almost 45 changes my thinking.

vantexan

It's actually the hiring manager that would do the blocking. My manager told me something to the effect that he can block me. I think it's an option they can do in the system. Being that I know the hiring manager (I see him a couple of times a year), maybe that helped.....

The hiring mgr of the job I withdrew from told me he never entered me into system so whether I could bid on other jobs or not was between my mgr and I. This is what I was protesting as my mgr and district HR are saying that only thing that matters is that I put my signature on paper accepting job. It clearly states in policy in same paragraph that hiring mgr MUST contact your mgr to tell him that he had received a signed offer letter from employee. That was never done so I asked if I could have an exception to bid on other job. To hear Quadro tell it I spit on all that was holy and am a selfish jerk. Of course he can't stand my posts pointing out how bleak being a mid-range employee can be and wants to attack me anyway he can. But here you go, an exception was made. Good for you and I don't blame you for trying to get best deal possible. If you aren't proactive you won't get anything. Now where's my lawyer?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
The hiring mgr of the job I withdrew from told me he never entered me into system so whether I could bid on other jobs or not was between my mgr and I. This is what I was protesting as my mgr and district HR are saying that only thing that matters is that I put my signature on paper accepting job. It clearly states in policy in same paragraph that hiring mgr MUST contact your mgr to tell him that he had received a signed offer letter from employee. That was never done so I asked if I could have an exception to bid on other job. To hear Quadro tell it I spit on all that was holy and am a selfish jerk. Of course he can't stand my posts pointing out how bleak being a mid-range employee can be and wants to attack me anyway he can. But here you go, an exception was made. Good for you and I don't blame you for trying to get best deal possible. If you aren't proactive you won't get anything. Now where's my lawyer?

One thing about FedEx "policy". It is unequally applied, and seldom adhered to exactly unless someone has an axe to grind, then it's to the letter. My experience has been that if you are an excellent employee, you'll often get the benefit of the doubt if you change your mind on a transfer. Your manager is probably more than happy to keep you around rather than wonder what he/she is going to get.

There are managers who are exactly by the book, and if you refuse an offer letter, they'll impose the waiting period. I have one of those now, a senior who has come down hard on couriers who accepted a transfer and then changed their mind. Because there was such a backlash, he's relented and backed-away from penalties for the time-being (it's SFA time).

vantexan

There are managers who are exactly by the book, and if you refuse an offer letter, they'll impose the waiting period. I have one of those now, a senior who has come down hard on couriers who accepted a transfer and then changed their mind. Because there was such a backlash, he's relented and backed-away from penalties for the time-being (it's SFA time).

One of the reasons I posted what happened is it might plant a seed in the minds of the company monitors to address such things as not having policy spelled out in JCATS so that people can make an informed decision. For some reason FedEx seems to like "gotcha" situations. Most glaring example I can think of is someone becoming a swing and then finding out FedEx will take away much more if you decide to go back to being a reg courier. I think if an employee signs up for a specified time period and fulfills that obligation there shouldn't be a penalty if you decide being a swing isn't for you. If every time you turn around you are confronted with a policy that you didn't know existed you start feeling everything is rigged to give the company what it wants with little regard to your situation. I'm sure that sends a thrill up Quadro's leg but most people probably prefer to have rules and consequences spelled out up front.

Yeah, we had our pre-SFA hotdog cookout last Friday.

FedEx2000

Retiring and having physical problems that limit your ability to perform are 2 different ballgames. I doubt seriously I'll make it to 55. And truth is that if I do take another rt and it turns into a hump rt chances are I won't be able to run like I use to. But hey, I have no right to ask for any concession or exception. Over 2 decades of hard work don't matter. It's what have you done for me lately, right? Perform or step aside grandpa. The company owes us nothing, we owe it everything.

To the OP, if you are still reading this, the loyalists want you to believe that you'll have a solid future with FedEx. And usually they have a vested interest in pushing that. If you choose to work at Express you may decide that this job only pays enough to get by with hopefully no major financial disasters. If you try Ground you'll quickly realize it's great for certain people, but not for you unless you consider working very long hrs for minimal pay with no benefits great. UPS will make you earn every penny but they pay quite a few more pennies with great benefits. Good luck with your choice.

Actually VAN, you don't have the right to ask for an exception/concession.......just like FedEx can't hold a 25 year old employee to a higher SPH standard just b/c they are younger and "run" everywhere. It's called discrimination.

Have you considered looking at a CSA position? Or any other position that is less physically demanding than being a courier? Not trying to be a jerk here, but if you are concerned about being able to physically do the job you might want to check on other positions.

FedEx2000

Is any contract that you have ever heard of binding when done verbally? It's the signature on the paper that matters. Just b/c the hiring manager hadn't contacted your existing manager yet, doesn't mean they weren't going to. Did you back out the day after you sent the signed letter back, or a week or two later?

And just to clarify for anyone that may be unsure here, the penalty only applies when there is a signed offer letter involved. If you get an offer letter and choose not to sign it, sign the "I Decline This Offer" line, or withdraw in JCATS there is no penalty.

quadro

It's actually the hiring manager that would do the blocking. My manager told me something to the effect that he can block me. I think it's an option they can do in the system. Being that I know the hiring manager (I see him a couple of times a year), maybe that helped.....I dunno.
It's not the hiring manager. You don't work for the hiring manager until you get to that location so it's your current manager that is supposed to address the issue.

quadro

As Fedex2000 has pointed out all that matters is you signed an offer letter. I never said you spit on all that was holy and are a selfish jerk or anything of the sort. All I did was point out that you signed an offer letter, admitted that you couldn't accept the position because of the cost of living, withdrew from the posting and then asked for an exception to policy simply because you didn't think to check on cost of living or ask questions about withdrawing before you signed the letter.

I'm not attacking you. I'm attacking your argument. You get your heels dug in and there's no talking sense to you. See our previous discussion about who pays for health care.

And an exception was not made for LTFedExer. An exception would mean that there's all sorts of documentation. In this case it was simply a matter of not following policy. Whether that was by choice or not is unknown. Either way, that's what creates issues with employees. Here you are asking for nothing different than what LTFedExer got and you're not getting it. Look how that makes you feel. LT loves it and gets all warm and fuzzy and you hate it and it's just one more issue for you and in that sense, I feel for you.

quadro

One of the reasons I posted what happened is it might plant a seed in the minds of the company monitors to address such things as not having policy spelled out in JCATS so that people can make an informed decision. For some reason FedEx seems to like "gotcha" situations. Most glaring example I can think of is someone becoming a swing and then finding out FedEx will take away much more if you decide to go back to being a reg courier. I think if an employee signs up for a specified time period and fulfills that obligation there shouldn't be a penalty if you decide being a swing isn't for you. If every time you turn around you are confronted with a policy that you didn't know existed you start feeling everything is rigged to give the company what it wants with little regard to your situation. I'm sure that sends a thrill up Quadro's leg but most people probably prefer to have rules and consequences spelled out up front.

Yeah, we had our pre-SFA hotdog cookout last Friday.
There's really no need to spell it out in JCATS. It is clearly spelled out in the hiring policy and if I'm not mistaken, JCATS does reference that policy. Most of the time what seems like a "gotcha" situation is really a lack of understanding on someone's part. The information is all there and very accessible to someone that wants to take the time to read it. It's not like I magically woke up one morning and knew this stuff. I've been through enough situations with bad outcomes where I've said that I wouldn't let it happen to me again. I took the time and educated myself and learned about a lot of this stuff.

Even the swing example isn't a gotcha as it is clearly spelled out in policy. The problem is that most people don't think to look or feel they don't need to. They get into the swing position without ever thinking that they might go back. The problem was the way the job change pay was calculated for a promotion and for a downbid. And it's funny that you bring this particular issue up as I'm pretty sure it has now changed or is in the process of changing because it did suck. Now you'll get a 4% raise if you go from courier to swing and you'll lose 4% if you go from swing to courier.

As far as being confronted with policies that you didn't know existed, the rules and consequences ARE spelled out up front. They are in the policies. Just because someone doesn't take the time to ask or check doesn't mean they are not spelled out. Certainly there's no way someone can know all the policies but they have to at least evaluate their own situation. In your case, if you never thought that there was a chance you wouldn't accept the position, then that's on you. No one forced you to put in for it and no one forced you to sign the offer letter. Had you done what a reasonable person would do and made sure it was somewhere you wanted to/could afford to live before signing, then you wouldn't be in your current situation.

I think for the most part FedEx goes overboard making sure we know policy. How many times do you have to sign something or take a test or acknowledge that you've done/seen/viewed something? It is a pain in the ass how many times that happens.

LTFedExer

It's not the hiring manager. You don't work for the hiring manager until you get to that location so it's your current manager that is supposed to address the issue.
True I don't/didn't work for him. But, the way it was explained to me, he has the option of manually blocking me from being able to apply for another position for 'x' amount of time. Maybe FedEx2000 can shed some light on this. I could be wrong, but that's just how it was explained to me.

Since my manager was posting the position I eventually took, there is no 'issue' to address.

quadro

True I don't/didn't work for him. But, the way it was explained to me, he has the option of manually blocking me from being able to apply for another position for 'x' amount of time. Maybe FedEx2000 can shed some light on this. I could be wrong, but that's just how it was explained to me.

Since my manager was posting the position I eventually took, there is no 'issue' to address.
Then it was explained to you incorrectly. I'm sure FedEx2000 can verify this. The issue that was supposed to be addressed was that you withdrew after signing an offer letter. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy it worked out for you but you can see what happens when a policy such as this isn't applied consistently.

vantexan

But as you can see exceptions are made. One was made for a courier here who wasn't eligible to apply. And funny thing about mgrs being evasive. If they've done things in the past that caused you to go to HR or even file a GFT you get to the point that you don't trust them or the process. A mgr who tells me that he did ask HR if I could withdraw from a position but doesn't know what the penalty is for doing so in hindsight does appear to be evasive, especially considering other things done and what others had reported. The week my warning letter was to go off last Sept I asked since warning letter expired that Friday would I be able to apply for a job I wanted that Friday. He said he would ask HR and later sent me a msg saying that I could apply. That Friday JCATS wouldn't let me apply, was able to the next day but position I wanted was gone. I asked him why did HR say I could but I couldn't, he then admitted he hadn't asked HR but just assumed I could. It's stuff like this that makes me think that all is rigged and I'm being screwed with. You can point at policy all you want, and certainly knowing what policy states I'm now better informed. But you aren't allowing for the human element, the behind the scenes machinations. I was using hyperbole about the spitting, but you want to put the responsibility 100% on me, but as I've said, you aren't here, don't know the things that have happened here. A cookie cutter one size fits all sounds great but rarely works perfect in practice. And by the way, congrats on getting your time in and your high pay and full pension. Those of us who are working for much less see things differently than you, with good cause.

quadro

But as you can see exceptions are made.
A mistake is not an exception. There is a big difference. For LTFedExer, the manager made an error. Whether that was intentional or not I do not know but it wasn't an exception.
One was made for a courier here who wasn't eligible to apply.
Ok, what was the exception and why was it made?
And funny thing about mgrs being evasive. If they've done things in the past that caused you to go to HR or even file a GFT you get to the point that you don't trust them or the process.
I agree to a point on this. If a manager makes a mistake (they are human after all) or even just uses poor judgment, and you are treated in such a way that you feel you need to file a GFT, that's what the GFT is there for. If a manager continually makes decisions that cause an employee or employees to continually go to HR or file GFT's, that's going to get the manager some extra attention. Doesn't mean the manager is wrong or right, just that something is obviously going on. It could be poor management by this manager or it could be poor management by a previous manager that this one is now trying to correct. I've seen both situations.
A mgr who tells me that he did ask HR if I could withdraw from a position but doesn't know what the penalty is for doing so in hindsight does appear to be evasive, especially considering other things done and what others had reported.
Maybe, but the manager has got nothing to lose by being open and honest with you. You had already made up your mind you weren't taking the job so it's kind of irrelevant about what the penalty is. Put another way, what does he gain by not telling you? What does he lose by telling you?
The week my warning letter was to go off last Sept I asked since warning letter expired that Friday would I be able to apply for a job I wanted that Friday. He said he would ask HR and later sent me a msg saying that I could apply. That Friday JCATS wouldn't let me apply, was able to the next day but position I wanted was gone. I asked him why did HR say I could but I couldn't, he then admitted he hadn't asked HR but just assumed I could. It's stuff like this that makes me think that all is rigged and I'm being screwed with.
But you weren't being screwed with. Your manager was a jerk for not getting you an answer but the answer wouldn't have changed the outcome and just as importantly, the outcome would have been the same for any employee doing what you were trying to do. You may not like it but at least it is fair and consistent.
You can point at policy all you want, and certainly knowing what policy states I'm now better informed. But you aren't allowing for the human element, the behind the scenes machinations.
Actually I am. I'm very well aware of what can happen behind the scenes. That's why I try to be as well versed as I can about policy.
I was using hyperbole about the spitting, but you want to put the responsibility 100% on me, but as I've said, you aren't here, don't know the things that have happened here. A cookie cutter one size fits all sounds great but rarely works perfect in practice.
Well in this case, it is 100% on you. If it isn't, then who made you put in for the position and who made the decision for you not to accept it? As for things being cookie cutter, I never said they should be. There is often going to be an element of individual consideration. The problem is that there is a very fine line between individual consideration and favoritism. In this particular case, the policy is very clear and to allow you to put in for other jobs after withdrawing from a signed offer letter, would need to have some very extenuating circumstances. Wanting to be closer to your family isn't extenuating. Many, many people, myself included, want to be closer to family.
And by the way, congrats on getting your time in and your high pay and full pension. Those of us who are working for much less see things differently than you, with good cause.
It is what it is. I was in the right place at the right time. Do you go around congratulating those people who were in the right place at the right time to buy Microsoft or Google or Yahoo or Dell stock? Unfortunately, I wasn't one of them so who do I blame for that?

vantexan

Hotdogs. :funny:
Wow. That oughta' woo lots of couriers to give the managers all sorts of high scores.

For me it'll take more than steak and lobster.
Watch it, the anal police will go after you, telling just how things are when they aren't at your location but know exactly what happens there. FedEx Cares. By the way, if FedEx has perfected policy to the point that things are set in stone I wonder why they keep getting sued? Where there's smoke...

Last edited: