Fedex Dissolving Routes

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
Yeah, having that much iCs crammed into those p1000s makes for a back breaking day.

I have my share of chewy, truck tires, pools, bed frames, etc... but it's much less & spread out so I recover between stops too.

PS, we still have separate HD and Ground ops even though they got rid of the HD branding... I don't want to deal with hazmats or running around for pickups in the PM

McFeely

Huge Member
What does the truck style have to do with anything? $1k\week is pretty good if you’re only working 35-40 hrs.

The Ground guy that works in my area and I see each other a few times a day and often have time to chat at pickups, etc. I remember him being excited at his pay when he got his W2 from his contractor for TY2018. He made the same amount that I did as an Express employee last year.

The difference between our routes? I drive an Isuzu with roughly 120 packages on it, making around 100 deliveries. He drives a P1200 (I believe that's what it is, it's longer than our W900) and it is loaded to the gills every day. I work 4-10s. He works 5-10s. He does get insurance, but no 401k match, portable pension, etc.

He can keep schlepping all the Chewy boxes and other big heavy crap all day in his bigger truck with no AC. I'll take the same pay and better benefits for less work, thanks.

It will be fine

Yeah, having that much iCs crammed into those p1000s makes for a back breaking day.

I have my share of chewy, truck tires, pools, bed frames, etc... but it's much less & spread out so I recover between stops too.

PS, we still have separate HD and Ground ops even though they got rid of the HD branding... I don't want to deal with hazmats or running around for pickups in the PM
With overlap and smartpost most of my p1200s are overkill for space. They do make the work easier though, everything can be sorted well with a nice aisle to walk down. I’ll take a stepvan over a box truck or sprinter any day.

It will be fine

The Ground guy that works in my area and I see each other a few times a day and often have time to chat at pickups, etc. I remember him being excited at his pay when he got his W2 from his contractor for TY2018. He made the same amount that I did as an Express employee last year.

The difference between our routes? I drive an Isuzu with roughly 120 packages on it, making around 100 deliveries. He drives a P1200 (I believe that's what it is, it's longer than our W900) and it is loaded to the gills every day. I work 4-10s. He works 5-10s. He does get insurance, but no 401k match, portable pension, etc.

He can keep schlepping all the Chewy boxes and other big heavy crap all day in his bigger truck with no AC. I'll take the same pay and better benefits for less work, thanks.
Cool story, it has nothing to do with whether or not $1k/week for 35 hrs is good money.

OrioN

But @McFeely illustrated that he's doing less stressful work for similar pay.

I'm doing something similar, but not at a different opco

The terminal I'm at is not really overlapped yet. I'll see a Ground driver covering the same roads. I guess his subcontractor has to get into a meeting and talk about shrinking their work area boundaries or something

It will be fine

But @McFeely illustrated that he's doing less stressful work for similar pay.

I'm doing something similar, but not at a different opco

The terminal I'm at is not really overlapped yet. I'll see a Ground driver covering the same roads. I guess his subcontractor has to get into a meeting and talk about shrinking their work area boundaries or something
The point is every situation is different. These Express guys just refuse to admit a Ground driver can be getting a good deal. They need to feel superior to someone since the know they’re getting a bad deal compared to UPS.

OrioN

Ah, yes a driver has to prove to subcontractors that he/she is worthy of the raises or pay first. These new millenials want a good pay for less effort it seems.

It took a while for me to have a good reputation over 70 routes and 4 terminals. But I'm smart enough to stay away from those routes that will breakdown the body in a short time

McFeely

Huge Member
These Express guys just refuse to admit a Ground driver can be getting a good deal.

I don't really GAF if some Ground drivers get a good deal. I'm happy for them, really. But for the most part, they're doing the work that a UPS driver does at a fraction of the pay/benefits in most cases.

I'm no better than the Ground guy on my route because I work for Express, I just know I work a helluva lot less than he does for similar pay.

OrioN

Nah, when i see a p1000 or a straight truck FXG driver... i visualize this:

5958182.jpg

I actually tell those drivers that they're UPS quality if they can handle that much cargo and be done within 7-8 hours.

Plus , when peak season rolls around, FXE gets hourly rate +OT if they drive over 8 hours...

While FXG just gets per stop pay above their salary threshold...

Just posting up for prospective employees whose lurking

Last edited:

MAKAVELI

You're not going to Clear 1k(after taxes) unless you are working 60+hr/week(assuming $20/hr but starting wage is less than that through a majority of the country) That and 60hrs wont happen til PEAK, otherwise if you start bumping 50hrs managers take work away
Highest starting pay is 21.75 and there are some stations where 50+ hours are the norm. But like I said it depends where he is applying.

BoxDriver

I did the math awhile ago. With what Express starting pay is here, I would need to average 6.5hrs of overtime a week to break even. Overtime during the week is unlikely here so that means volunteering to work extra days every week.

OrioN

Yeah, but if your subcontractor has no benefits, then just consider a job with FXG just a means to a weekly paycheck.

My coworker is just weighing the bennies since his significant other has crappy benefits.

Me lucky to have a wifey with superior benefits and is in a union job.