FedEx donates $2.5M for Liberty Bowl scoreboard .

CJinx

I saw some Fedex graffiti before. A business had a large sign indicating that deliveries should be brought to the rear of the building, with a right arrow indicating the paved path leading there. Somebody had taken a magic marker and drew in the block letters for Fedex around the arrow, emphasizing the subliminal arrow between the letters E and X in the traditional Fedex logo.

Now that is some creative advertising! :)

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
...or brand name recognition? I can't count how many times I have heard a customer say that they had to FedEx something overnight, not realizing we not only offer the same service but are slightly better at it.

Yeah,
So much better that you have to have a different person deliver "the airs" than your normal route driver.

vantexan

Looks pretty misleading to me. Compare the number of vehicles in each "Gound" fleet. 22,000 for FedEx? Can only be talking about FedEx Ground, not Express. And what source is he citing for FedEx air ontime reliability? UPS average in-transit time is longer than our's but they still manage to get it there on time a greater % of the time? Another stat to consider: these numbers are for 2009. What was FedEx Ground's % of the market in say 2005? What is it now? I'll bet you'll see steady growth in the last 10 years vs a year over year decline for UPS Ground. And with much more infrastructure in place I'm betting that growth vs decline is accelerating. The good folks in Memphis are now starting to do to UPS employees what they've done to us for quite awhile now. They have a voracious appetite for profit, and it's coming out of your pocket now. All those highly paid union jobs, all those great benefits,
make UPS very vulnerable. Welcome to our world. Won't happen overnight, no pun intended, but you guys are in trouble. Good luck!

LTFedExer

Compare the number of vehicles in each "Gound" fleet. 22,000 for FedEx? Can only be talking about FedEx Ground, not Express.
Look at the logo, that's a FedEx Corp. logo. The way I read it, it's Express AND Ground combined.

What I've seen over the past few years is FedEx getting away from what got it to where it today.......Service and customer service has gone by the wayside.......all in the name of making a profit. Sad to say I can't stop and talk to some of my customers because I have to worry about SPH.

vantexan

Look at the logo, that's a FedEx Corp. logo. The way I read it, it's Express AND Ground combined.

Express alone has 10's of thousands more couriers than 22,000. Unless they're working in shifts around the clock 22,000 vans don't come close to what's needed. FedEx has the world's largest vehicle fleet by the way.

vantexan

I'm dealing with someone whose whole argument is "I lived in Memphis for 3 years so I'm right." I can't compete with such demonstrated brilliance.

Actually you are wrong so much I lose track. I'm just generally right where you are concerned. But obviously I'm not privy to what goes on behind the scenes in Memphis. But weighing the options, keeping local politicians happy vs the "publicity" of buying a scoreboard in Memphis, TN, I like my viewpoint more and more. What's next, a community center in Peoria, IL? Maybe a water tower in Walla Walla, WA? :)

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Actually you are wrong so much I lose track. I'm just generally right where you are concerned.

If you insist.

But obviously I'm not privy to what goes on behind the scenes in Memphis. But weighing the options, keeping local politicians happy vs the "publicity" of buying a scoreboard in Memphis, TN, I like my viewpoint more and more.

Yeah, the largest employer in the city (by nearly a 2-to-1 ratio) has to pay 'protection' to the local yokels in the city government. Good one! I guess the local politicians would just loooooooove to put the hurt on the multinational multi-billion dollar corporation that is responsible for millions of dollars in local economic activity, and Fred is hedging his bets.

In all seriousness, I hear your ridiculous argument even in my hometown. The largest employers have paid (in whole or in part) for various things at the local university including a football stadium, an arena, multiple scholarships and grants, some specialized programs and opportunities for top students in certain majors, and so on and so on. People like you come up with these goofy theories as to why they do that, when the reality is much more mundane. It's great advertisement, great PR, and --shocking, I know-- they like the university and want to be active participants in making it a better place.

I don't know what planet you're from, but that's fairly common here on Earth.

vantexan

.... I hear your ridiculous argument even in my hometown. The largest employers have paid (in whole or in part) for various things at the local university including a football...People like you come up with these goofy theories as to why they do that,...It's great advertisement, great PR, and --shocking, I know-- they like the university and want to be active participants in making it a better place. don't know what planet you're from, but that's fairly common here on Earth.
Guess you aren't familiar with the home buyout around the airport back in the 80's. Guess you aren't aware of the racially charged politics in Memphis. The one thing that pulls Memphis together is the university. So yeah, astute move chipping in for the scoreboard. Of course you also denied it's possible to trace a poster's location through forum posts. Face it, you're just another arrogant jackass who thinks he's superior to any courier and puts down anything a courier says unless you thought of it first.