FedEx Express driver gets killed by train

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I have to ask Dave. Why would anyone try to take a train on if they didn't feel pressured to do so for whatever inconsequential reason? I wouldn't ever, but some people feel the pressure of the things management asks of them. This may of been the issue.

...which is why I said "while I do understand where you are coming from....there is no denying the pressure they put on us throughout the day but, at least here at UPS, they do stress safety and would never, ever advocate trying to "beat the train" just to make their numbers...

I think it would be a stretch to conclude that the courier, who was a 30+ year veteran, made his fateful decision as a result of the pressure he may have felt to make his numbers and that FedEx indirectly contributed to his death.

CJinx

Why would anyone try to take a train on if they didn't feel pressured to do so for whatever inconsequential reason? I wouldn't ever, but some people feel the pressure of the things management asks of them. This may of been the issue.
Attempting to beat trains through both uncontrolled and controlled intersections is not a phenomenon exclusive to individuals "on the clock". Just do a google search; you'll find plenty of stories of cars getting smashed by trains where the driver was just on the way home from work, or going to the grocery store, or any number of reasons which should not have influenced their decision to do something incredibly stupid.

dezguy

We shouldn't really cast accusations. None of us know whether he was racing to beat a train. There are plenty of uncontrolled rail crossings on my route that come at you from an angle. Unless you stop well short of the crossing, and turn your truck to get a good view of both your left and right, it can be very easy to not see a train coming. I know there have been a few times where I would have never have seen the train had I not stopped short and positioned my truck so I could see what was going on and there has been a few times where I was either distracted by something else or just plain tired and I didn't do this. Luckily for me, there wasn't a train right there.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Attempting to beat trains through both uncontrolled and controlled intersections is not a phenomenon exclusive to individuals "on the clock". Just do a google search; you'll find plenty of stories of cars getting smashed by trains where the driver was just on theay home from work, or going to the grocery store, or any number of reasons which should not have influenced their decision to do something incredibly stupid.

Right, but individuals "on the clock" have more of an incentive to do so. Leave it to you to try and minimize this. We'll never know if he was trying to make service, was somehow running behind, or if he just spaced-out behind the wheel listening to the radio.

The overall point (which you always seem to miss) is that many couriers do feel pressured by ever increasing workloads and expectations and don't want to have to explain a Gap report that shows them waiting 10 minutes for a train.

CJinx

The overall point (which you always seem to miss) is that many couriers do feel pressured by ever increasing workloads and expectations and don't want to have to explain a Gap report that shows them waiting 10 minutes for a train.
You know how you explain a 10 minute gap while you were stuck at a train crossing?
"I was struck at a train crossing."

Goldilocks

Right, but individuals "on the clock" have more of an incentive to do so. Leave it to you to try and minimize this. We'll never know if he was trying to make service, was somehow running behind, or if he just spaced-out behind the wheel listening to the radio.

Absolutely! We are racing to get back to make our RTB. I can't tell you how many times I have crossed over a track in a hurry without looking. These are tracks with no stop signs or guard rails. I hope his wife seeks legal advise.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
You know how you explain a 10 minute gap while you were stuck at a train crossing?
"I was struck at a train crossing."

Just having to explain yourself constantly is a motivation for some to cut corners, especially if you're "on the bubble" for something else. And what if the manager doesn't buy your train scenario? More suspect behavior and more questions from them.

Remember, your life isn't as valuable a Fred's money. FedEx is full of CJinx-minded simpletons that think we're out there stealing from Fred by not giving 150%.

Hey, CJinx. When cheap-ass Smith pays me at 150%, then I'll give him 150%.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
If you Google Maps/Satellite view of the intersection where he was killed, you would see that the RR track runs adjacent and parallel to the road he was on. As he turned right, into the path of the train, the train would have been approaching from behind him. A momentary lapse , or distraction, was fatal in this case.

CJinx

Remember, your life isn't as valuable a Fred's money. FedEx is full of CJinx-minded simpletons that think we're out there stealing from Fred by not giving 150%.

Hey, CJinx. When cheap-ass Smith pays me at 150%, then I'll give him 150%.
I think the point of discussing gap reports is to push you as close to 100% productivity for 100% pay. Obviously you can't do much when you're stuck at a railroad crossing. If your manager doesn't believe you, shrug your shoulders and suggest they activate the gps monitoring software on your scanner or lojack your truck.

Don't try to beat a train. If I may use a bit of your sarcasm; it's cheaper for us in the long run if you survive long enough to retire than it would be to settle a wrongful death lawsuit should something unfortunate happen to you while in the course of your duties.

overflowed

I think the point of discussing gap reports is to push you as close to 100% productivity for 100% pay. Obviously you can't do much when you're stuck at a railroad crossing. If your manager doesn't believe you, shrug your shoulders and suggest they activate the gps monitoring software on your scanner or lojack your truck.

Don't try to beat a train. If I may use a bit of your sarcasm; it's cheaper for us in the long run if you survive long enough to retire than it would be to settle a wrongful death lawsuit should something unfortunate happen to you while in the course of your duties.
When you say us, you mean us as in fedex corp. right?

bbsam

Staff member
Absolutely! We are racing to get back to make our RTB. I can't tell you how many times I have crossed over a track in a hurry without looking. These are tracks with no stop signs or guard rails. I hope his wife seeks legal advise.
For you self appointed legal scholars, what is "wrongful death", how is it generally proven, and how would it be proven specifically in this case? Was his equipment defective? Was he permitted to work while obviously drunk or otherwise incapacitated?

Thousands of drivers every day are stressed. UPS, Fedex, USPS, every LTL driver...it comes with the territory. Of course in this industry wrongful death cases will occur but the existence of high stress is hardly sufficient on its own to prove it.

By the way, gap reports and route engineering are pure fiction that the accounting departments relay to operations. Treat them as such.

CJinx

When you say us, you mean us as in fedex corp. right?
We all work for divisions of Fedex Corp, yes?

For you self appointed legal scholars, what is "wrongful death", how is it generally proven, and how would it be proven specifically in this case? Was his equipment defective? Was he permitted to work while obviously drunk or otherwise incapacitated?
They won't have to. The widowed spouse and their lawyer will leverage the inexhaustible sympathy of the public for the little guy who died serving a billion dollar company and hope that the onslaught of negative press will convince the lawyers to throw in the towel and settle out of court. The court of public opinion tends to favor emotions over facts and laws.

bbsam

Staff member
We all work for divisions of Fedex Corp, yes?

They won't have to. The widowed spouse and their lawyer will leverage the inexhaustible sympathy of the public for the little guy who died serving a billion dollar company and hope that the onslaught of negative press will convince the lawyers to throw in the towel and settle out of court. The court of public opinion tends to favor emotions over facts and laws.
I highly doubt that will be the case in this instance. Won't last two news cycles.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

Thousands of drivers every day are stressed. UPS, Fedex, USPS, every LTL driver...it comes with the territory. Of course in this industry wrongful death cases will occur but the existence of high stress is hardly sufficient on its own to prove it.

By the way, gap reports and route engineering are pure fiction that the accounting departments relay to operations. Treat them as such.

The chances of blaming the railroad for this are about zero. Unless the train wasn't blowing it's horn or it's lights were defective, the courier will be blamed, and rightfully so. Most locomotives have cameras and on-board event recorders (similar to aircraft black boxes), so unless the train crew was doing something wrong, they had the right of way, and it was the courier's responsibility to take proper precautions.

The fact that FedEx may have overloaded him and the other arguments of that ilk are irrelevant.