FedEx Express Internal Courier/Driver Hires

Boogie.bullfrog

Hey guys, does FedEx Express often hire couriers/drivers internally? Do they have an internal to external courier hiring ratio and long waitlist like UPS? Thanks!

vantexan

Hey guys, does FedEx Express often hire couriers/drivers internally? Do they have an internal to external courier hiring ratio and long waitlist like UPS? Thanks!
Unlike UPS FedEx couriers can transfer to anywhere in the U.S. There's an internal system called JCATS. There used to be a ratio to promoting from within before hiring externally but don't know if that's still the case because there's so much turnover now. Being able to transfer for me was one of the few advantages of working for FedEx. If you're the most senior person to apply you get the job. You accrue points weekly and person with most points gets it. Part timers accrue points at half the rate of full timers.

Aquaman

Unlike UPS FedEx couriers can transfer to anywhere in the U.S. There's an internal system called JCATS. There used to be a ratio to promoting from within before hiring externally but don't know if that's still the case because there's so much turnover now. Being able to transfer for me was one of the few advantages of working for FedEx. If you're the most senior person to apply you get the job. You accrue points weekly and person with most points gets it. Part timers accrue points at half the rate of full timers.
JCATS doesn’t exist anymore. Jobs are posted in “workday” now. The point system is gone. Still goes by seniority though I think. The company would prefer to hire internally, but the answer to his question is no. There’s no waiting list to be a courier like at UPS. The company pays around $18/hr for courier jobs and you’ll hover around that pay for the bulk of your time here. UPS has free BCBS insurance for your whole family, top pay in 4 years around $40/hr, and a union that will never let the company cheap out. It’s the best job in the industry by a wide margin. FedEx has become the training facility for other companies.

vantexan

JCATS doesn’t exist anymore. Jobs are posted in “workday” now. The point system is gone. Still goes by seniority though I think. The company would prefer to hire internally, but the answer to his question is no. There’s no waiting list to be a courier like at UPS. The company pays around $18/hr for courier jobs and you’ll hover around that pay for the bulk of your time here. UPS has free BCBS insurance for your whole family, top pay in 4 years around $40/hr, and a union that will never let the company cheap out. It’s the best job in the industry by a wide margin. FedEx has become the training facility for other companies.
Good to know. Things have really changed over the last few years. But on starting pay it depends on what pay scale he's on. If in some of the most expensive cities could be as high as $21 something an hour with 5 different pay scales.

Serf

People upgrade from cargo handlers and shuttle drivers to Couriers all the time. Now I see more than ever part time to full time even. If you’re the bread winner in your family UPS makes more sense. But if you want to be home for dinner and your kids baseball game, that’s a tough go at UPS.

Aquaman

People upgrade from cargo handlers and shuttle drivers to Couriers all the time. Now I see more than ever part time to full time even. If you’re the bread winner in your family UPS makes more sense. But if you want to be home for dinner and your kids baseball game, that’s a tough go at UPS.
That’s what the people running this ship need to understand. The job is good. The pay is what’s killing FedEx. Start topping people out and this instantly becomes competitive with UPS. We’ll never get the amazing pay or benefits of UPS. But having decent pay and a life outside of work is worth it. Without the decent pay, it’s not worth it. I think we’re screwed... they could raise handler pay $4/hr and still be bottom of the barrel in terms of warehouse work.

Serf

That’s what the people running this ship need to understand. The job is good. The pay is what’s killing FedEx. Start topping people out and this instantly becomes competitive with UPS. We’ll never get the amazing pay or benefits of UPS. But having decent pay and a life outside of work is worth it. Without the decent pay, it’s not worth it. I think we’re screwed... they could raise handler pay $4/hr and still be bottom of the barrel in terms of warehouse work.
True. And now Express has to compete with Amazon and Walmart in middle America.

falcon back

Just gave the hub a big raise.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Someone on the UPS side of this site just posted this today. This location is their giant hub in Chicago. $24.50 an hour for handlers.
49C7E0D8-D1FB-4AE0-8A98-4D324415EE44.jpeg

Aquaman

Someone on the UPS side of this site just posted this today. This location is their giant hub in Chicago. $24.50 an hour for handlers.
View attachment 337370
That’s what it’s gonna take to lure handlers away from Amazon. That company has so much money they can pay employees whatever to retain them. $20/hr is the line in the sand in my opinion. That’s what is gonna get handlers in the door. Unfortunately that’s what FedEx loves to pay their drivers lol. Keeping handler pay around $14-$15 is going to kill this company. Anyone looking for warehouse work is going to ignore any job paying in the teens.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
That’s what it’s gonna take to lure handlers away from Amazon. That company has so much money they can pay employees whatever to retain them. $20/hr is the line in the sand in my opinion. That’s what is gonna get handlers in the door. Unfortunately that’s what FedEx loves to pay their drivers lol. Keeping handler pay around $14-$15 is going to kill this company. Anyone looking for warehouse work is going to ignore any job paying in the teens.
It’s not the crappy pay alone that is causing the problems with retaining FedEx handlers. It’s also the crappy insurance. Many people were handlers at FedEx for the insurance only. A paycheck was just icing on the cake. They had their own business or worked other jobs. Now with the pay so bad, crappy insurance and putting restrictions on minimums for handlers, that’s what is screwing FedEx. They’re not making it attractive to work here.

Aquaman

It’s not the crappy pay alone that is causing the problems with retaining FedEx handlers. It’s also the crappy insurance. Many people were handlers at FedEx for the insurance only. A paycheck was just icing on the cake. They had their own business or worked other jobs. Now with the pay so bad, crappy insurance and putting restrictions on minimums for handlers, that’s what is screwing FedEx. They’re not making it attractive to work here.
Not at all. They’ve followed the downward trends of companies instead of making this place stand out. Bottom line is they have to compete. And at least for now it doesn’t seem like they’re going to. Or if they do it will be temporary. I think the reality is that this just isn’t a good paying job. And it’s not gonna be.

falcon back

More and more posts from the resident whiner while on the clock. You should be thankful to even have a job

FedexCares

As others have said, jcats is long gone and was replaced by workday. I transferred a couple times using the workday system and the thing I hated the most was the complete removal of the point system.

In jcats, it was very transparent where you ranked against other potential people bidding on the job as you could see the rankings of any position you bid on.

With workday it’s “supposed” to go by hire date as far as who gets an hourly job from multiple bidders, but in my experience this is not always the case. I saw multiple instances of people with less seniority getting a job over someone with more and even a part timer getting a job over a full timer.

Now they do have job groupings that give preference as well, but it’s all very arbitrary now in my opinion compared to jcats, as there is now no way to see how you rank against other bidders. You are 100% at the discretion of the hiring manager and they like to hire whoever they want to it seems under workday.

Aquaman

As others have said, jcats is long gone and was replaced by workday. I transferred a couple times using the workday system and the thing I hated the most was the complete removal of the point system.

In jcats, it was very transparent where you ranked against other potential people bidding on the job as you could see the rankings of any position you bid on.

With workday it’s “supposed” to go by hire date as far as who gets an hourly job from multiple bidders, but in my experience this is not always the case. I saw multiple instances of people with less seniority getting a job over someone with more and even a part timer getting a job over a full timer.

Now they do have job groupings that give preference as well, but it’s all very arbitrary now in my opinion compared to jcats, as there is now no way to see how you rank against other bidders. You are 100% at the discretion of the hiring manager and they like to hire whoever they want to it seems under workday.
yep, show me one change that ever benefited the employees.

vantexan

Are transfers still allowed?

FedexCares

Are transfers still allowed?
Yeah they are, there is just no way to tell if 1 person or 100 people bid on an open position, and no way to tell where you rank against other people bidding. You can call the hiring manager to get more details but in my experience with workday you are completely at the discretion of the manager if they want to hire hire you or not.

Even though I’m at trade networks now, I transferred twice while working for express after the change to workday and both times i had no idea if i even had a shot at getting the job I bid on. In both instances, the hiring manager called me out of the blue to say i had gotten the job. It’s just not nearly as cut and dry as it was with jcats, which at least made a bit of sense when it came to transfers.