FedEx Ground Contractors - No more?

F

feederdude

We are all under the NLRB. The RLA and the NLRB are two different subjects.
Feederdude

G

giblet

We are all under the NLRB. The RLA and the NLRB are two different subjects.

Please explain that statement.

NLRB is essentially a judicial body that enforces the NLRA. Their counterpart is the NMB that does the same with regard to the RLA (in a manner of speaking the courts can still be used).

I propose that were NOT all under the NLRB particularly those under the RLA/NMB, but thats just me.

The other poster pointed out, and I seem to recall, that the NLRB issued a statement that FedEx Ground operations were under their jurisdiction. That would indicate that the NLRB feels FedEx Ground falls under NLRA not RLA.

I know the Teamsters took the time for a half-hearted attempt at organizing a couple of Ground facilities in the northeast and got slapped down for their troubles.

M

montecarlo11

About FedEx
FedEx Corporation Overview
FedEx Corporation provides strategic leadership and consolidated financial reporting for the independent companies that make up today's FedEx: FedEx Express, FedEx Ground, FedEx Freight, FedEx Kinko's Office and Print Services, FedEx Custom Critical, FedEx Trade Networks, FedEx Supply Chain Services and FedEx Services. FedEx Corporation Overview

Strategic Leadership
"Operate independently, compete collectively and manage collaboratively." It's really not a complicated business modeljust a flexible network of companies designed to provide unprecedented access to a global marketplace.

Operating independently, each FedEx company manages its own specialized network of services, including transportation, e-commerce and integrated business solutions. Separate operations allow these companies to focus on what they do best.

Competing collectively, FedEx Corporation acts as the hub, allowing these independent companies to work together worldwide. Under the powerful FedEx brand, the corporation also oversees any potential business development activities designed to strengthen the broad portfolio of services.

Managing collaboratively, FedEx operating companies are able to provide customers worldwide the unique and powerful portfolio of services that differentiates FedEx in the marketplace.

M

montecarlo11

here is your key sentence,
independent companies that make up today's FedEx: FedEx Express, FedEx Ground, FedEx Freight, FedEx Kinko's Office and Print Services, FedEx Custom Critical, FedEx Trade Networks, FedEx Supply Chain Services and FedEx Services.

njdriver

FedEx Browned
giblet said:
“We are all under the NLRB. The RLA and the NLRB are two different subjects.”

Please explain that statement.

NLRB is essentially a judicial body that enforces the NLRA. Their counterpart is the NMB that does the same with regard to the RLA (in a manner of speaking – the courts can still be used).

I propose that we’re NOT all “under the NLRB” – particularly those under the RLA/NMB, but that’s just me.

The other poster pointed out, and I seem to recall, that the NLRB issued a statement that FedEx Ground operations were under their jurisdiction. That would indicate that the NLRB feels FedEx Ground falls under NLRA – not RLA.

I know the Teamsters took the time for a half-hearted attempt at organizing a couple of Ground facilities in the northeast and got slapped down for their troubles.

Hello everyone.

I am a recently terminated FedEx Home Delivery driver out of the Barrington NJ terminal. The NLRB does indeed oversee FedEx Ground in that they will respond to any petitions filed with them as to proper worker classification.

Although not necessarily a Teamster supporter or basher, their hands were tied somewhat by FedEx. The NLRB ordered election at the Fairfield NJ terminal was a NO vote for the Teamsters, thus effectively ending any in-roads they might have made there.

In our terminal the vote was not for the Teamsters, but rather an in-house group of concerned drivers, known as the FXG-HD Driver's Association. Although we won the vote 14-8, FedEx has continued to file challenges to the election itself, hoping to have the results tossed out. We are currently waiting on that decision from the NLRB. Even then, FedEx has intimated they will never sit down at a bargaining table with the Association.

Since the petition with the NLRB was filed earlier this year, our terminal has become a veritable battleground, with a total of 7 drivers being terminated for various reasons. Each of the 7 terminated drivers are Association members and lawsuit supporters, and unfair labor charges of wrongful termination have been filed with the NLRB. We are currently waiting for their decision in that regard as well. If the terminations are found to have been retaliatory in nature, the NLRB could issue an injunction against FedEx, in order to preserve the integrity of our successful vote.

As a former insider, and one who is part of the NJ class-action, I would be more than happy to share my views further, or to answer any questions you might have about the FedEx shake-up.

You may also find the following website helpful.

http://www.fedexaminer.com

It details the FedExperience from both sides, and will provide a deeper glimpse into exactly what is at stake. Thanks for listening.

Last edited:

wily_old_vet

njdriver-recognized your name immediately as I have been going ot fedexaminer for quite a while. Even though I'm retired now the brown blood still flows in the veins. Just wanted to extend a warm BrownCafe welcome to you nad hope that you have a joyous Christmas season.:biggrin:

njdriver

FedEx Browned
wily_old_vet said:
njdriver-recognized your name immediately as I have been going ot fedexaminer for quite a while. Even though I'm retired now the brown blood still flows in the veins. Just wanted to extend a warm BrownCafe welcome to you nad hope that you have a joyous Christmas season.:biggrin:

Your hearty welcome is most appreciated wily, and I extend to you and all of my brothers and sisters in Brown a very safe and prosperous Christmas and New Year.

FedEx may have succeeded in taking me out of the loop, but the comraderie remains forever.

Peace.

Last edited:

DS

Fenderbender
Merry Christmas to all you fedexers everywhere from up here in Canada.
My on area fedex driver gave me the grand tour of his new truck that uses no keys.I own no shares in ups and I believe theres plenty for everybody.UPS need fedex to keep them in line.May the joy of the holiday season be with you and your families.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Subject: [retiredups] Judge Delivers Order to FedEx: Pay Misclassified Drivers

<TT>Judge Delivers Order to FedEx: Pay Misclassified Drivers
Friday December 30, 2:59 am ET
Petra Pasternak, The Recorder
In a decision expected to spur wage-and-hour suits in the courier industry,
a judge earlier this month ordered FedEx to pay $5.3 million to a group of
drivers he found had been improperly classified as independent contractors. He
also ordered FedEx to end the practice, instructing the company to provide
drivers with a copy of his Dec. 19 order.
Los Angeles County Superior Court Judge Howard Schwab said FedEx had violated
California law by classifying all of its single-route drivers as independent
contractors and forcing them to incur expenses the company should have
covered, including paying for fuel, oil, tires, repairs and liability insurance.
The judge ordered payments ranging from a few hundred dollars to as much as
$98,000 for about 200 class members. The case was tried over nine weeks last
year.
Lead plaintiff attorney Lynn Faris and her firm, Oakland, Calif.'s Leonard
Carder, were awarded $12.3 million in attorney fees.
"[The decision] has very broad national implications for a big company that
has chosen to do business in a way that is inconsistent with California law,"
Faris said.
FedEx drivers have leveled similar claims in a series of 32 suits, filed in
25 states, which are now consolidated in an Indiana courtroom.
"The court listened to nine weeks of testimony at trial. The judge in Indiana
will certainly be influenced by this testimony," Faris said.
Faris said she expects the ruling to up the ante on the courier industry,
whose employment classification arrangements have attracted increasing scrutiny
from state regulators and the attorney general's office over the past few
years.
In response to complaints that courier companies have released hourly workers
and then hired them back as contractors who are paid to deliver packages
using their own vehicles, the state Employment Development Department has said
it plans to audit an additional 450 delivery companies by July.
Lawyers representing FedEx in the suit didn't return phone calls seeking
comment Wednesday. But FedEx spokesman David Westrick said the company plans to
appeal. "We firmly believe that the 14,000-plus men and women we have around
the country understood the terms of the contract when they signed it," he
said.
In court, FedEx has argued that while it sets work rules for some
contractors, they aren't employees because they don't have set start times, they can
hire and fire workers, they use their own vehicles, and they choose their own
routes.
Aaron Kaufmann, a plaintiff-side employment litigator at Hinton, Alfert &
Sumner in Walnut Creek, expects the outcome in the FedEx case to send a "strong
message" to employers using similar labor models, particularly FedEx
competitors. Kaufmann said he's handling similar suits and expects more to roll in.
"I would anticipate that there would be a wave of litigation challenging the
misclassification of workers as independent contractors."
The Los Angeles County Superior Court suit, Estrada v. FedEx Ground, BC
210130, was filed in 1999 by three California contract drivers alleging
violations of the state wage-and-hour regulations, and was later certified as a class
action.
Schwab told the company it has until April 5 to comply with the order to stop
mislabeling workers.

</TT>

moreluck

golden ticket member
Feb. 2...FedEx Drivers Wrongly Classified as Independent Contractors, NLRB Rules (PR Newswire via Yahoo! Finance) <HR style="COLOR: #c7b996" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->In the latest of a series of decisions exposing FedEx Ground's driver misclassification tactics, The National Labor Relations Board has ruled that 23 FedEx drivers in Northboro, Massachusetts, are employees and not, as FedEx wrongly contends, independent contractors

wkmac

Seems Fast Freddie's straw house is getting weaker and weaker by the day. GO GET EM' IBT!!!!!!!!!

UPS should work with the IBT to work up a plan to allow UPS IBT members who want to to take off work from time to time to operate informational booths near FedEx facilities. May be some law somewhere prohibiting this type of combined effort but a union FedEx in a win/win for both UPS and UPS Teamsters.
JMHO.