fedex ground

moreluck

golden ticket member
NEW YORK (AP) -- Express package delivery giant FedEx Corp. reports earnings for the fiscal quarter ended Nov. 30 on Wednesday before the markets open.

R

real driver

That's right, "real driver". You are a real driver and I am a "real contractor". I don't worry much about all that paper work stuff anymore. Quicken is a wonderful program and the accountants we use are surprisingly affordable. Welcome to the computer age.

once again you fail to see the obvious you being a muti contract "driver" can afford a accountant and me being a single cannot no matter how hard i try without cheating other fair, honest drivers. Not disgruntled but with all the record profits sure would think that I could be in the same class but unless I cheat I cannot win. Tell me how do you afford to pay for employee benifits, payroll taxes, and still bring in a profit and then and only then the independent contractor model will be successful. The only contractors that are successful are ones that are able to capitalize on the failing contractors that have to lose everything in order to give you there truck and route so you can become bigger.

will fall to enterprising ICs like myself.

I know that above is out of context for you but you like myself look everyday for a bigger better deal, hoping that a contractor will lose his or her butt in order for me to take advantage and claim the route to hire a hourly driver at a minimal pay wage.

Doesn't seem like a good company plan to hope that your local contractor fails in order for you to make a profit. Be in the right place at the right time, I'm sure that has everything to do with why I can't make a profit yet right?

A

Anonymous 999999999999

I remember part of the reason for dues increases was to help the organizing efforts for fredex. So far I haven't seen any "organizing efforts".
By the way, I saw a couple of fredex home delivery guys in my neighborhood working yesterday..yes saturday.

For organizing efforts and FedEx, I think not ask your BA how much he makes and if his pension is in danger.

N

n/a

Most of the multi route contractors are not paying their drivers as employees, they instead try to get away by calling their drivers subcontractors. Since most contractors only make around $43000, if they pay a driver $30000,(51 hours a week at $10 an hr)and have another $8000 in payroll taxes if they operate legally, that leaves only $5000 profit per route.

If the owners trucks are paid off, you can make it look like more profit, but you arn't allowing for eventual replacement of the truck. If somebody wants to fool himself that he's making $50,000 or $120,000 on five or even ten fedex routes, you won't be able to convince him otherwise. Fedex has a lot of people really indoctrinated into beleiving numbers that can't be true if they understood math.

just to show you an example of the bad math they beleive, look no further than the post above claiming that fedex could take care of business with a "few hunded" contractors each with 5-6 routes. With 15000 contractors, fedex would need about 3000 contractors willing to beleive in numbers that don't add up.

If it was even a partially good deal, fedex would have had those 3000 contractors years ago, with more knocking down the doors trying to get in. Instead they have poor working men and women, some of whom were tricked into buying routes, anxious to get out if they could just get their money back.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
Having had the pleasurable experience of working for both organizations:sad:

Fred's plan is a house of cards, smoke and mirrors formula. He's making tone of money and his stock is overvalued because of the independent contractors slaving away doing 2/3 of the deliveries.

At every organization there are those who would die for their company, monte. It's pride in thier organization but from my perspective, UPS, in all of its conservativeness, is the more respected company. I haven't worked there in 10 years and I still bleed brown. Fedex gave me little to be proud of. You just have to learn to read between their purple haze of bs. :)

Uncle Rico, sorry I deleted part/most of your post but I wanted to touch on the parts I saved for quotation. I hope I don't destroy your intent, sir.

First section: Never worked for FedEx. Explored it extensively, had talks with Ground, Freight and Home Delivery. Did some research and decided to pass. UPS...one stint as an inside employee, two stints as a helper SINCE, and starting my SECOND stint as an inside employee in a few weeks.

Second section: Isn't there a term from recent politics about "fuzzy math?" Fred's business plan SEEMS to be built on a similar foundation. There comes a time when those walked on rise up in rebellion against those that walked on them. Give it time. When it happens, I'll be the first to hit the deck, laughing. :tongue_sm

Third section: I am very proud of having UPS on my resume/applications. Everytime I mention it to a prospective employer, it raises eyebrows and I get a little respect, largely because of the public's perceptiong of UPS as a COMPANY, NOT of its employees. UPS'ers do what almost no one else will. See my posts about Denver's blizzard shutdown. Also, my UPS experience has been a boon to my employers since my initial separation from UPS. They gave me an operation they thought was running well and I told them, "Uh-Uh. Not even close." My UPS experience taught me to "look at the big picture." Those management's since were dumb enough not to do so. Then, kinda touching on that public's respect for UPS, when I told my soon to be former restaurant employer I was leaving to work for UPS, I was told, "What an EXCELLENT company to work for! You couldn't make a better choice!" Its my opinion the same may not be said for FedEx but I don't know that for sure. Touching on your comment about the "still bleeding brown 10 years after leaving," I've been separated from UPS for almost two-years. I STILL feel an incredible loyalty and sense of belonging there. A sense of camaraderie I'd never seen in retail or my post-UPS foodservice experience. That's probably part of what makes me so willing to return to UPS: that camaraderie. -Rocky

moreluck

golden ticket member
MEMPHIS, Tenn. (AP) -- FedEx Corp. on Friday declared a quarterly cash dividend of 9 cents per share.
The Memphis, Tenn.-based company will pay the dividend April 2 to shareholders of record March 12.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Tuesday February 27, 2:06 pm ET FedEx Making Changes to Pension Plan, Raising Matching Contributions to 401(k) Plans

MEMPHIS, Tenn. (AP) --

Package delivery company FedEx Corp. said Tuesday that it is making changes to its pension plan and increasing its matching contributions to 401(k) plans.

The company said most eligible employees who participate in a pension plan will begin accruing future benefits under a cash balance formula called portable pension account starting on June 1, 2008. Benefits accrued under a traditional pension benefit formula will be capped on May 31, 2008 and paid monthly at retirement.
The changes do not impact current retirees' benefits.
FedEx said the changes are a result of shifting demographic trends, the federal Pension Protection Act and recently adopted and proposed changes in accounting rules.
The company is also raising its matching contributions for most workers and providing additional investment options under its 401(k) plans.
Shares of FedEx dropped $2.17 to $114.78 in afternoon trading on the New York Stock Exchange.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Ahead of the Bell: FedEx
Friday March 9, 8:12 am ET Stifel Nicolaus Upgrades FedEx on Growth Opportunities, Pullback in Shares

NEW YORK (AP) -- A Stifel Nicolaus analyst upgraded FedEx Corp. on Friday, saying the express delivery company is hedged against sluggish domestic economic trends and its international exposure continues to expand. Analyst John G. Larkin, who upgraded the stock to "Buy" from "Hold," said in a client note FedEx plays a key role in transporting products from Asia to North America and Europe as manufacturers build capacity along the Pacific Rim in order to leverage low labor costs. The Pacific Rim encompasses countries bordering the Pacific Ocean and island nations within the region, including South Korea, Taiwan and Singapore.

moreluck

golden ticket member
FedEx (FDX) numbers lowered at UBS. Price target drops to $145 from $147 and 2007 EPS estimates bump down to $7.55 from $7.73. Reiterates Buy rating.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Some FedEx drivers in Connecticut vote for unionizing
Mon Jun 4, 2007 1:42 PM ET

CHICAGO, June 4 (Reuters) - Some workers at a unit of FedEx Corp. <FDX.N> in Windsor, Connecticut, have voted in favor of a proposal to be represented by the Teamsters, the union said on Monday.
Of the 23 drivers for FedEx Home Delivery at FedEx's Hartford terminal who voted May 11, 12 voted in favor of the proposal and nine against.
FedEx Home Delivery is part of the Memphis-based package delivery company's FedEx Ground unit. FedEx classifies and pays drivers at this unit as contractors.
The Teamsters claims this classification is illegal, saying FedEx controls these drivers as if they were employees but without providing them with the benefits employees receive.
FedEx is fighting a number of lawsuits brought by former and some current contractor drivers and has vowed repeatedly to stand by its business model at FedEx Ground.
The Hartford Regional Office of the National Labor Relations Board has classified these drivers as "employees."
"Twelve votes do not reflect the position of 15,000 FedEx Ground contractors in more than 500 locations who - time and time again - have overwhelmingly rejected union interference," FedEx spokesman Maury Lane said in a statement.
"We believe the NLRB misclassified these contractors in Hartford as employees and we will begin the process of challenging the election's results," he added.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Feds release $11.7M for FedEx runway
Friday June 8, 2:46 pm ET

The Federal Aviation Administration has released $11.7 million to help pay for the construction of a new runway at Piedmont Triad International Airport.
The runway, already under construction, is being built to support the FedEx cargo hub, which is scheduled to open in 2009.
The new grant money will be used to build the new FedEx runway and taxiway, construct a connector taxiway, extend an existing one and acquire land.
The money from the federal government is the sixth scheduled payment to support the project. The federal government agreed in March 2002 to fund the runway, according to a news release from Rep. Howard Coble, R-Greensboro, whose office announced the grant payment.
Published June 8, 2007 by The Business Journal

moreluck

golden ticket member
WASHINGTON, June 27 (Reuters) - An expected amendment to aviation legislation on Thursday could make it easier for unions to organize ground workers at the express operations of FedEx Corp., congressional and industry sources said.
The anticipated bid by Democrats to amend a bill funding air traffic operations at the Federal Aviation Administration would effectively remove truck drivers, couriers and other workers at FedEx Express and other smaller companies from the federal Railway Labor Act. The 1920s-era law is best known in recent years as statute relied on by U.S. presidents to thwart threatened strikes at major airlines. It is considered more restrictive than labor law governing other transportation unions, including some at FedEx rival UPS Inc.

Sources said late on Wednesday the change, if enacted, could boost organizing efforts among tens of thousands of workers who are not represented by a union at FedEx, the world's largest package delivery company.
FedEx pilots are represented by the Air Line Pilots Association. Workers at operations outside FedEx Express would not be affected. It was unclear how much support such a proposal would receive in the Transportation Committee, one of the largest in Congress. The panel will consider amendments to the bill on Thursday.

pkgdriver

This will be good if it goes through.

As it is now the Express drivers have to organize systemwide. This will let them do it at each center/terminal/barn which is much easier. Me thinks the local Fred Ex terminal would vote 60% to 40 for a union.

moreluck

golden ticket member
AP
2 Hurt in Calif. Highway Bridge Collapse
Tuesday July 31, 2:51 pm ET
By Don Thompson, Associated Press Writer Highway Bridge Under Construction in N. California Falls, Delivery Truck Driver, Worker Hurt

OROVILLE, Calif. (AP) -- A highway bridge under construction collapsed Tuesday, trapping a delivery truck under the debris and injuring a construction worker.
The Fed Ex truck could be seen partially crushed under a beam as rescuers worked for more than two hours to free its trapped driver. One large beam had crumpled the hood but missed the cab, and a second had landed on the back of the truck.
The driver, finally removed on a stretcher, had major injuries, said Roger Craven, a California Highway Patrol dispatcher. A Fed Ex spokesman had no immediate comment.
The construction worker was on top of the structure and fell about 35 feet when it collapsed at about 7:15 a.m. The worker was hospitalized with a fractured arm and hip injuries, said Kate McGuire, a spokeswoman with the Division of Occupational Safety and Health. The worker's condition was not immediately known.
A California Department of Transportation vehicle also was damaged in the collapse.
The overpass was being built at the intersection of highways 149 and 70 near Oroville, about 65 miles north of Sacramento, highway patrol spokesman Karen Ogle said.
The collapsed material consisted of wood and steel beams that were being used as the forms to create one of the overpasses, said Shelly Chernicki, a spokeswoman for the California Department of Transportation.
She said officials had not identified a cause for the collapse.
"There's going to be a thorough investigation to why this happened," Chernicki said.
The overpass is being built by FCI Constructors, Inc. and Granite Construction Co. A woman who answered the phone at FCI said the company had no immediate comment, and a message left at Granite Construction was not immediately returned.
Construction was halted and will be shut down until further notice, McGuire said.
Construction crews were trying to remove and stabilize the collapsed beams and other steelwork that collapsed, and motorists were being told to use detours using State Route 162.
Near the overpass, another person was injured when a car a California Department of Transportation pickup truck collided, though it wasn't immediately clear if that crash was directly related to the bridge collapse.

OldUPSDriver

The broadcast news said that a amputation team was sent to be ready if in case they could not remove the driver but fortunately they were not needed.

moreluck

golden ticket member
FedEx CIO Sells Shares
Monday August 13, 10:11 am ET FedEx Chief Information Officer Robert Carter Sells 8,800 Shares

NEW YORK (AP) -- The executive vice president and chief information officer of package-delivery company FedEx Corp. sold 8,800 shares of common stock, according to a Securities and Exchange Commission filing.
In a Form 4 filed with the SEC Friday, Robert B. Carter reported he sold the shares Wednesday for $110.75 to $110.99 apiece.
Insiders file Form 4s with the SEC to report transactions in their companies' shares. Open market purchases and sales must be reported within two business days of the transaction. FedEx is based in Memphis, Tenn.

moreluck

golden ticket member
MEMPHIS, Tenn.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--The Board of Directors of FedEx Corporation today declared a quarterly cash dividend of $0.10 per share on FedEx Corporation common stock. The dividend is payable October 1, 2007 to stockholders of record at the close of business on September 10, 2007.