Fedex Investigated For Illegal Drug Transportation

IsItME

It's still a pig is correct. It's crazy to defend this. When the account was signed, we should have set a standard. Then, we should have followed up and "inspected what we expected" but that never happened. After, we should have brought it to the government. This company has demonstrated over and over that it has no integrity. FedEx thinks they are above the law and that the employees don't matter and that anyone they tell to shovel $H!+ will get out a shovel.

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
Oh gimme a break.
The whole reason these shipments are "illegal" is b'c the shipper is shipping to peeps who don't have a real prescription for what they're ordering.
So, X would have to verify the actual prescription. Let's see, we'll call this new signature service RPR (real prescription required). I can just see us CRRs asking to see the scrip, then calling a Dr.'s office to verify it. Heck, they make us call 800 Go Fedex to get a price for someone paying cash on the street for a shipment, right?

Like Upstateny would say "We're just a dumb truck driver" Do you really care what you're delivering? I don't. Just get the damn pkg. off the truck.
Every box I del. is full of sand for all I care.

vantexan

Oh gimme a break.
The whole reason these shipments are "illegal" is b'c the shipper is shipping to peeps who don't have a real prescription for what they're ordering.
So, X would have to verify the actual prescription. Let's see, we'll call this new signature service RPR (real prescription required). I can just see us CRRs asking to see the scrip, then calling a Dr.'s office to verify it. Heck, they make us call 800 Go Fedex to get a price for someone paying cash on the street for a shipment, right?

Like Upstateny would say "We're just a dumb truck driver" Do you really care what you're delivering? I don't. Just get the damn pkg. off the truck.
Every box I del. is full of sand for all I care.

And are they going to make couriers legally liable for not checking? Criminal charges and fines such as those for mishandling dangerous goods? A real can of worms.

whenIgetthere

Sure they cant open every pkg or catch every illegal shipment but they don't have to look the the other way or play dumb when it ts obvious. I have personally witnessed this with packages that obviously contained weed. When brought to their attention they smelled it looked at it then through it back in the container. They Simply do not care and don't want take the time and resources to address this. These shippers know that FedEx will let these small shipments through the system and take advantage of it. In essence FedEx and UPS are the new drug mules across state lines.

I disagree on th weed, at my station, agents with a drug sniffing dog work the sort everyday. They pull any package that is supsicious, inspect it after the proper scan is put on it, and if nothing netted, it goes back on the belt. They pull anywhere from five to 20 packages a day. I don't know, and don't really care how many contain illegal drugs, but they are here everyday.

MAKAVELI

Sure they cant open every pkg or catch every illegal shipment but they don't have to look the the other way or play dumb when it ts obvious. I have personally witnessed this with packages that obviously contained weed. When brought to their attention they smelled it looked at it then through it back in the container. They Simply do not care and don't want take the time and resources to address this. These shippers know that FedEx will let these small shipments through the system and take advantage of it. In essence FedEx and UPS are the new drug mules across state lines.

I disagree on th weed, at my station, agents with a drug sniffing dog work the sort everyday. They pull any package that is supsicious, inspect it after the proper scan is put on it, and if nothing netted, it goes back on the belt. They pull anywhere from five to 20 packages a day. I don't know, and don't really care how many contain illegal drugs, but they are here everyday.
That is probably not because of FedEx but because the agents having information that large shipments go out or come into your location. They wouldn't be at your station every day if they didn't find drugs. And weed is probably not the number 1 drug they are looking for. FedEx does not have the authority to tell them when and where law enforcement can check the freight. My station is small and thats probably why we don't see the sheriff and dog very often. I'm just telling you from my observation that's its not a problem in fedex's eyes unless it's brought to their attention by law enforcement or the courts. They like to throw the word " integrity" around a lot but don't know what it means.

rready15

I think the point is not so much that Fedex should be investigating every single package that goes through the networks, but that management should not be turning a blind eye to potential criminal activity by blaming the shippers for everything. I have expressed concerns about some of the examples I posted above and get forcefully told that "we're not the police and we're not going to call them either". Wouldn't concealing a crime make you an accessory? hm.

I pray that these managers don't find themselves a victim of a violent crime and a witness doesn't call the police because 'it isn't their problem'.

IsItME

Look, no one is saying the leaders deserve the death penalty for this particular offense. However, they traffic hundreds of millions of dollars in drugs across state lines and should spend the rest of their lives in jail. These corporate pigs need a wake up call. Fred S, you are under arrest. You have the right to remain silent, anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law.....

jmeti000

So since this is mainly about international shipments (from what the article states), dont they need a customs invoice stating the contents of the package, and isnt that generally a customs thing to open up the packages and check?

And on the weed thing...I think its going to get even harder with some states legalizing it and others not...Like someone said, its gonna be a real huge can of worms.

MAKAVELI

So since this is mainly about international shipments (from what the article states), dont they need a customs invoice stating the contents of the package, and isnt that generally a customs thing to open up the packages and check?

And on the weed thing...I think its going to get even harder with some states legalizing it and others not...Like someone said, its gonna be a real huge can of worms.

Doesn't matter at this point what states legalize it. It still is illegal at the federal level making it illegal to transport.

TUT

Not surprising it becomes an argument with POT, what this article is not about. I get some illegal drugs out of Canada, guess how they come... USPS. Some it sounds as if they want to shut down shipping, period because they are bitter employees.

overflowed

Not surprising it becomes an argument with POT, what this article is not about. I get some illegal drugs out of Canada, guess how they come... USPS. Some it sounds as if they want to shut down shipping, period because they are bitter employees.

And guess who flies the meds for USPS?

TUT

And guess who flies the meds for USPS?

Still it's their name and delivery. The deal is authorities are not alerting the carriers who is legal and not. What is so hard to understand here? Do UPS and Fedex have some type of authority to know otherwise?

overflowed

Still it's their name and delivery. The deal is authorities are not alerting the carriers who is legal and not. What is so hard to understand here? Do UPS and Fedex have some type of authority to know otherwise?
I see your point, but seriously we go to the same houses week after week with a fedx pak rattling like were the salvation army. They are shaking so bad they can't sign. If we know the company knows. You ever notice meds companies always have a sticker airbill? Its so no one of us can tamper with it most likely. You can't open and repackage it. This is a security precaution put in by fedex security. Just slip the airbill in another pak or whatever. Not saying anything bad about the folks who need the meds. Who knows what kinda pain they're in? Just saying, Fedex knows. Hey, I just get the package where its going right?

TUT

Hey, I just get the package where its going right?

Right. And to me if the gov't is that worried, there is a lot more they can do if they want to regulate. See what no regulation does? It makes companies ship illegal goods in packages. At this point I can't see how you can blame the carriers, but someday if a proper method is created and they don't adhere, then you are right the companies will have to pay.

These companies can also have a mix of legal and illegal products, not all pills for example have to have a prescription or be FDA approved. And if they do, that still doesn't represent legal or illegal. The carriers just wouldn't know, they may know they are shipping pills, but who knows what?