FedEx Needs To Step UP

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Inline with the current market. If I put up an ad below what other prospective employers are offering for a similar skill set I wouldn’t get many applicants. This is pretty basic stuff.

Ok,In the current market what does a fed ex ground feeder ( not sure what you call them) start at

fedx

Extra Large Package
If they pay for your CDL training you're required to stay in that position for a stated period of time. The cost of the training is amortized and over that period and you're required to pay off the balance if you leave before you've worked whatever the requirement is as stated in your offer letter.

Not where I'm at. People get trained and leave and they don't sign a contract or owe any money back to the company when they leave in a few months.

abused.crr

FedEx Express needs to step up on their RTD pay progression. Currently they have a rotating door where they train a new truck driver and within a few months, that new driver goes to greener pastures. I've heard upper managers claim how Express pays in line with competitors. What a bunch of BS. Not even counting our biggest competitor UPS which starts truck drivers out at about $30/hr, we're not even competitive with lower level carriers. XPO starts out at like $4/hr more in the same market I'm in and they top out in 3 years at $28/hr. All our competitors are similar in pay structure to XPO including FedEx Freight.

FedEx Express doesn't really have a problem with couriers quitting to go to competitors. You also don't hear in the news about a major shortage of ramp agents like you do truck drivers. FedEx needs to do something to retain these drivers. Instead of FedEx paying $6-$8 thousand per student to train them only to have them leave, maybe FedEx should up their starting pay for their truck drivers. There's no reason why a FedEx RTD should take 10 years (at best) to top out in pay for what all our competitors do in 3 years.

I’ve been gone from express 2 years this August. I still check in every month or so because most of my friends still work at X. I spent over 22 years with express and I started when I was 19. Pkg handler, dg, team lead, sr service agent, swing, crr, and finished as an Rtd. I knew I was leaving and I knew where I was going, I just needed The cdl. I went rtd and stayed for about 6 or 7 months. Then I got the job I wanted. I wanted a job where I needed a class A but wasn’t driving every day.

So this is what I’m getting at... look at everything express has done, taken away, and cut over the last 15 years... and ask yourself, will they do the same amount of slashing over the next 15 years? Or maybe more. Get the CDL and run. It’s a way out if you’re looking. If you’re not looking to get out, then this response wasn’t for you.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
I’ve been gone from express 2 years this August. I still check in every month or so because most of my friends still work at X. I spent over 22 years with express and I started when I was 19. Pkg handler, dg, team lead, sr service agent, swing, crr, and finished as an Rtd. I knew I was leaving and I knew where I was going, I just needed The cdl. I went rtd and stayed for about 6 or 7 months. Then I got the job I wanted. I wanted a job where I needed a class A but wasn’t driving every day.

So this is what I’m getting at... look at everything express has done, taken away, and cut over the last 15 years... and ask yourself, will they do the same amount of slashing over the next 15 years? Or maybe more. Get the CDL and run. It’s a way out if you’re looking. If you’re not looking to get out, then this response wasn’t for you.
Congratulations!

Csdsm18

I got a job offer from UPS Cartage. I don't know if I should take the position or not. It's 15% driver position meaning I fill in for anyone out on vacation or sick. They said there will be plenty of work just scared when there is no work you don't come in. But at least I have a top rate that I know I'll see in 4yrs which is 36.56, I'm at 23.25 now n God knows if will ever top out with these new ten step bs. What do you guys think? Plus we have a pension n 401k with company match. They just have the pension and 401k with no company match. Btw I'm 30yrs if that means anything lol. I just wanna be set and not be scared in the future.

vantexan

I got a job offer from UPS Cartage. I don't know if I should take the position or not. It's 15% driver position meaning I fill in for anyone out on vacation or sick. They said there will be plenty of work just scared when there is no work you don't come in. But at least I have a top rate that I know I'll see in 4yrs which is 36.56, I'm at 23.25 now n God knows if will ever top out with these new ten step bs. What do you guys think? Plus we have a pension n 401k with company match. They just have the pension and 401k with no company match. Btw I'm 30yrs if that means anything lol. I just wanna be set and not be scared in the future.
You probably won't be stuck in that position forever if you don't want to be. Why not if it's considerably more money with better benefits? Worst comes to worst you can always go back to FedEx if you leave on good terms.

Csdsm18

You probably won't be stuck in that position forever if you don't want to be. Why not if it's considerably more money with better benefits? Worst comes to worst you can always go back to FedEx if you leave on good terms.
Yes I know I can come back I don't know guess I'm just scared to lose the 5yrs seniority that I have which is nothing but it's something lol. Also huge perk with fedex is I can transfer to wherever I wanted with no issues or take a different position Where's UPS you can't I believe cause of the union. I eventually wanna get down to the Orlando area. So kinda stuck on what to do.

vantexan

Yes I know I can come back I don't know guess I'm just scared to lose the 5yrs seniority that I have which is nothing but it's something lol. Also huge perk with fedex is I can transfer to wherever I wanted with no issues or take a different position Where's UPS you can't I believe cause of the union. I eventually wanna get down to the Orlando area. So kinda stuck on what to do.
I used the FedEx policy to transfer around. Hindsight being 20/20 there were several places I wished had stayed at and built a life. Never underestimate how the lack of money going forward affects your life. Save like crazy with the better money, get the better pension, then move to where you want on your own terms. I'm from central Florida originally. Working in hot, humid weather and lightning storms isn't fun. Much like being up north in the winter. Different if you don't have to be out in it all day.

Csdsm18

I used the FedEx policy to transfer around. Hindsight being 20/20 there were several places I wished had stayed at and built a life. Never underestimate how the lack of money going forward affects your life. Save like crazy with the better money, get the better pension, then move to where you want on your own terms. I'm from central Florida originally. Working in hot, humid weather and lightning storms isn't fun. Much like being up north in the winter. Different if you don't have to be out in it all day.
Ooo nice yea I wanted to move into longwood area. I'm sick of the cold and would like a change. I've been going down my whole 30yrs of life to Central FL and love it down there. I can take the heat n rain I'm beat up of the cold n snow. Plus I'm a beach guy. But yea I hear ya on the savings part.

vantexan

Ooo nice yea I wanted to move into longwood area. I'm sick of the cold and would like a change. I've been going down my whole 30yrs of life to Central FL and love it down there. I can take the heat n rain I'm beat up of the cold n snow. Plus I'm a beach guy. But yea I hear ya on the savings part.
Why not apply for UPS there?

The Goat

I left FedEx Express last year I have 6 years of RTD experience and at 22 dollars a hr that's embarrassing. At most ltl trucking companies u be top out in 3 to 4 year.. we have guys with less then 2 year of RTD experience coming in at my rate of pay...best decision I ever made...

Csdsm18

I left FedEx Express last year I have 6 years of RTD experience and at 22 dollars a hr that's embarrassing. At most ltl trucking companies u be top out in 3 to 4 year.. we have guys with less then 2 year of RTD experience coming in at my rate of pay...best decision I ever made...
Where you at now?

zeev

Fedex is locked in to treating RTDS like couriers and I don’t see that changing. We are such a small part of the driver pool and easily ignored. My location they would never make anyone full time no matter how many hours you worked that has changed in an effort to keep the newbies but they still leave.

zeev

FedEx would not give raises when the stock was going up now with the collapse in stock price wait for the ten step pay plan to be delayed and changed. Part timers working 55-60 hours and you want full time to bad for you.