FedEx Needs To Step UP

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
FedEx would not give raises when the stock was going up now with the collapse in stock price wait for the ten step pay plan to be delayed and changed. Part timers working 55-60 hours and you want full time to bad for you.
images.jpg

Bingo

Ooo nice yea I wanted to move into longwood area. I'm sick of the cold and would like a change. I've been going down my whole 30yrs of life to Central FL and love it down there. I can take the heat n rain I'm beat up of the cold n snow. Plus I'm a beach guy. But yea I hear ya on the savings part.
Very familiar with Longwood station SFBA The 4 Managers and Station manager are fair and will treat you with respect. Longwood is around 70 minutes from the beach. They also have a station in Daytona Beach DABA which is 8 minutes from the beach but that station is smaller ,therefore less job postings. All the Trucks have working A/C so the heat is bearable and it rains in 20 min spurts. Very rare to have a all day rain. I would not live in any state except Florida

The Goat

How's that working out for you? Do you know anything about ups cartage or ever heard of them?

It actually work out better then I expected starting at the bottom at a union company in being on call.. I make more over here since I'm paid mileage and hourly. Only thing is we don't get paid holiday pay until after our first anniversary.

I see ups cartage around the airports but I think they mostly deal with airfreight. I see u got offer a job.

Have u look at ups cartage pay scale compared to FedEx? And is it worth the jump will u catch up with what u will be making at FedEx in about 2 year or so.

Csdsm18

It actually work out better then I expected starting at the bottom at a union company in being on call.. I make more over here since I'm paid mileage and hourly. Only thing is we don't get paid holiday pay until after our first anniversary.

I see ups cartage around the airports but I think they mostly deal with airfreight. I see u got offer a job.

Have u look at ups cartage pay scale compared to FedEx? And is it worth the jump will u catch up with what u will be making at FedEx in about 2 year or so.
I have to get the pay scale from the manager but I'll be losing out on 2.32hr going to ups cartage. But they get raises yearly which I'm not sure how much it is after the first year which can bump me back up to about the same pay or not. The benefits pension and better guaranteed top rate after 4yrs is what has me wanting to go. Just tough as I'll be hired as A 15% driver meaning I gotta call every morning to see if they have work for me, but speaking with other drivers there they don't seem to not have work.

Serf

We'll give no raises, We'll only give a 2% raise to couriers and not to other frontline hourlies. We'll take away shift def split pay. We'll give 3% raises sometimes. We'll announce a 10 step plan that many will take as a "10 year plan" & shut them all up with a few 1$+ per hour raise for a few years. Just so we can quell the massive exodus of employees we are losing. Stock shares have jumped almost 100$ since I started. We will buy hundreds of millions in jets. Euro companies (billions) & cheesy nascar ad cars. Even have an NFL stadium use our name. All while netting a billion a year on the bottom line. And still, after all this you will never truly know if you are going to get any sort of raise.

vantexan

When the economy was bad FedEx took full advantage not giving or giving very small raises. Now the economy is good so expect FedEx to keep the 10 step plan in place because employees have options. And I predict that just like kids on a road trip asking "are we there yet", employees every year no matter how many raises in a row they get will be asking "are we getting a raise this year?". And plenty will tell them no, this is FedEx, a reputation FedEx earned.

Serf

When the economy was bad FedEx took full advantage not giving or giving very small raises. Now the economy is good so expect FedEx to keep the 10 step plan in place because employees have options. And I predict that just like kids on a road trip asking "are we there yet", employees every year no matter how many raises in a row they get will be asking "are we getting a raise this year?". And plenty will tell them no, this is FedEx, a reputation FedEx earned.
Fairly optimistic post. Perhaps it's also fear based. The big "what if" Amazon actually figures out how to be in our business, successfully.

fedx

Extra Large Package
I have to get the pay scale from the manager but I'll be losing out on 2.32hr going to ups cartage. But they get raises yearly which I'm not sure how much it is after the first year which can bump me back up to about the same pay or not. The benefits pension and better guaranteed top rate after 4yrs is what has me wanting to go. Just tough as I'll be hired as A 15% driver meaning I gotta call every morning to see if they have work for me, but speaking with other drivers there they don't seem to not have work.

Most states you have the option to get unemployment while you don't have work at your employer. So if you call in and they say no work for you on Tues and Wed, you can go file unemployment and get paid for those 2 days you're not working. You can do it for every day they don't have work for you.

Csdsm18

Yea guess that'll be a pain to do often if they don't often have work for me. 5yrs with fedex wait another 5 to be topped if that ever happens or take this ups cartage opportunity and possibly some weeks not have work. Decision decision

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
We'll give no raises, We'll only give a 2% raise to couriers and not to other frontline hourlies. We'll take away shift def split pay. We'll give 3% raises sometimes. We'll announce a 10 step plan that many will take as a "10 year plan" & shut them all up with a few 1$+ per hour raise for a few years. Just so we can quell the massive exodus of employees we are losing. Stock shares have jumped almost 100$ since I started. We will buy hundreds of millions in jets. Euro companies (billions) & cheesy nascar ad cars. Even have an NFL stadium use our name. All while netting a billion a year on the bottom line. And still, after all this you will never truly know if you are going to get any sort of raise.

Going from one of the best places to work 30 years ago to one of the worst in 2019. Geez...wonder how that ever happened?

Most states you have the option to get unemployment while you don't have work at your employer. So if you call in and they say no work for you on Tues and Wed, you can go file unemployment and get paid for those 2 days you're not working. You can do it for every day they don't have work for you.
A lot of states have a one week waiting period of no work before you can collect benefits. So, good luck with that.

dezguy

A lot of states have a one week waiting period of no work before you can collect benefits. So, good luck with that.
Here, there is also a waiting period but after you have fulfilled that waiting period, payments will start automatically. So, if you're laid off or without work in January and have applied, if you're laid off or without work in March, you don't have to wait an additional waiting period and payments start automatically, right away.

thecamel

Waiting to put the re in front of tired
Ups starting pay is about the same as us just they top out much faster then us. 4yrs UPS 10yrs supposed to be Fedex Express which is a joke. I know the guys that have years in say that's not bad at all when it took us 25yrs to top out. We'll those days are gone for someone to wait that long. I have a interview Friday for UPS Cartage. Yes I'll take a pay cut but I'll be topped out much faster. I still have 6yrs to go to be topped out here at Express that's if it even goes as planned with the 10 steps.

Be careful. Ups cartage is NOT ups package.

thecamel

Side show is more like it. If your top priority is better pay then you are barking up the wrong tree.

Meat

FedEx Express needs to step up on their RTD pay progression. Currently they have a rotating door where they train a new truck driver and within a few months, that new driver goes to greener pastures. I've heard upper managers claim how Express pays in line with competitors. What a bunch of BS. Not even counting our biggest competitor UPS which starts truck drivers out at about $30/hr, we're not even competitive with lower level carriers. XPO starts out at like $4/hr more in the same market I'm in and they top out in 3 years at $28/hr. All our competitors are similar in pay structure to XPO including FedEx Freight.

FedEx Express doesn't really have a problem with couriers quitting to go to competitors. You also don't hear in the news about a major shortage of ramp agents like you do truck drivers. FedEx needs to do something to retain these drivers. Instead of FedEx paying $6-$8 thousand per student to train them only to have them leave, maybe FedEx should up their starting pay for their truck drivers. There's no reason why a FedEx RTD should take 10 years (at best) to top out in pay for what all our competitors do in 3 years.

Actually, industry wide, professional drivers are making slightly less in real terms than they were prior to the Great Recession.

That’s through 2018, which is surprising because the tax act was supposed to be an amazing deal for working people.

Maybe 2019 will be the year we start making the same money we were a decade ago!

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Actually, industry wide, professional drivers are making slightly less in real terms than they were prior to the Great Recession.

That’s through 2018, which is surprising because the tax act was supposed to be an amazing deal for working people.

Maybe 2019 will be the year we start making the same money we were a decade ago!

Stop and look around. See all those guys delivering for Amazon contractors who are wearing wrinkled tank tops, wearing flip flops, and driving vehicles that aren't in the best of shape? THAT is what is driving the average driver's wage down.

Meat

Stop and look around. See all those guys delivering for Amazon contractors who are wearing wrinkled tank tops, wearing flip flops, and driving vehicles that aren't in the best of shape? THAT is what is driving the average driver's wage down.

You could replace “Amazon contractors” with “Ground drivers” and still be factually correct.

I suppose you have a point, but X has played a roll in the wage stagnation as well.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Fred S. was the leader in driving wages down long before with stagnant raises that couldn’t keep up with the cost of living, mid-range employees getting hosed, the RLA, independent contractors/service providers and Ground drivers working for peanuts.

Or have you conveniently forgot that?

thecamel

Saw a purple X'er about a year and a half ago. I was fueling the brown sled and I guess it tickled him that I was still working as he had very recently completed his 8 for the day. Until I enlightened him that I was on OT.

His whole expression changed. A conversation ensued and we each shared our work bios where I found out that he was a 12 year courier that had started on the west coast, migrated to the northeast and had so far settled in the southeast.

He was making 16-17ish per hour. Had to contribute to his own health insurance and was still several years away from top rate.

Imagine his surprise when he got the straight skinny on the brown compensation package, health insurance, pension contribution, OT, and 4 years to top rate.

For those of you who are aware of our top rate....What in the he'll is fred doing to you over there? I think he left that conversation with a very interesting outlook moving forward.

Yes, Fred is contributing to wage stagnation.

Fixxxer

A conversation ensued and we each shared our work bios where I found out that he was a 12 year courier that had started on the west coast, migrated to the northeast and had so far settled in the southeast.

He was making 16-17ish per hour. Had to contribute to his own health insurance and was still several years away from top rate.

Even if this was a year and a half ago that still doesn’t add up