FedEx Needs To Step UP

thecamel

Waiting to put the re in front of tired
Was it more per hour? If so please correct me. The rest was pretty close and the disparity in pay is noticeable. Either way the only advantage I could find in his situation was the ability to transfer.

Fixxxer

Was it more per hour? If so please correct me. The rest was pretty close and the disparity in pay is noticeable. Either way the only advantage I could find in his situation was the ability to transfer.
I’m not him so obviously I can’t say but either things have changed considerably or it’s just very very different up here in the great white north for both FedEx and UPS

thecamel

Waiting to put the re in front of tired
I got you, but an impressive stat to him and even me is that I honestly haven't paid a premium for health insurance in 31 years so far. I'll take that all day.

Fixxxer

I got you, but an impressive stat to him and even me is that I honestly haven't paid a premium for health insurance in 31 years so far. I'll take that all day.
FedEx is very strange in that even though it’s one company, depending on whether you’re Ground, Freight, Express and what country you’re in, the job can be completely different. In the US they pay into healthcare where as in Canada we have two plans. One you pay into and is quite decent and one that is free which is average. It’s just nice having an option.

And since you’re UPS I’ll also say the pay difference between the two companies isn’t as big here the only major difference is the time to top out.

It will be fine

Saw a purple X'er about a year and a half ago. I was fueling the brown sled and I guess it tickled him that I was still working as he had very recently completed his 8 for the day. Until I enlightened him that I was on OT.

His whole expression changed. A conversation ensued and we each shared our work bios where I found out that he was a 12 year courier that had started on the west coast, migrated to the northeast and had so far settled in the southeast.

He was making 16-17ish per hour. Had to contribute to his own health insurance and was still several years away from top rate.

Imagine his surprise when he got the straight skinny on the brown compensation package, health insurance, pension contribution, OT, and 4 years to top rate.

For those of you who are aware of our top rate....What in the he'll is fred doing to you over there? I think he left that conversation with a very interesting outlook moving forward.

Yes, Fred is contributing to wage stagnation.
It would be literally impossible to be in this industry for 12 years and not know the pay disparity between an express courier and UPS driver.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
You could replace “Amazon contractors” with “Ground drivers” and still be factually correct.

I suppose you have a point, but X has played a roll in the wage stagnation as well.
One of the Ground guys on my route wears a black tank top with khaki shorts. Lol.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
It would be literally impossible to be in this industry for 12 years and not know the pay disparity between an express courier and UPS driver.
I was at FedEx a lot longer than that before I realized the current pay disparity. I never paid attention or asked. In the beginning it was only a dollar or two but we had free insurance, profit share, and jump seating then so it was a good deal for me, plus not having to run as hard as a UPSer.

Meat

I was at FedEx a lot longer than that before I realized the current pay disparity. I never paid attention or asked. In the beginning it was only a dollar or two but we had free insurance, profit share, and jump seating then so it was a good deal for me, plus not having to run as hard as a UPSer.

On average, how much did you receive for profit sharing and when did it go away?

Also, I’ve gotten mixed information from first generation employees regarding the cost of healthcare. Some have said they got it for feee, some have said it always cost something. Which is true, and if it was free, when did the change take place?

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
On average, how much did you receive for profit sharing and when did it go away?

Also, I’ve gotten mixed information from first generation employees regarding the cost of healthcare. Some have said they got it for feee, some have said it always cost something. Which is true, and if it was free, when did the change take place?
I want to say it was around $2,000 every June and December. The first change they made with it was to start putting it in our 401k (I think). I don’t remember what year that was. I just remember my manager at the time telling me, They’re investing it for you so you don’t waste it buying beer.

From what I remember about insurance (too long ago) we had no weekly payment but a $5 copay. Okay, so not totally free. Damn near. I don’t remember what year that changed either.

Fixxxer

I want to say it was around $2,000 every June and December. The first change they made with it was to start putting it in our 401k (I think). I don’t remember what year that was. I just remember my manager at the time telling me, They’re investing it for you so you don’t waste it buying beer.

From what I remember about insurance (too long ago) we had no weekly payment but a $5 copay. Okay, so not totally free. Damn near. I don’t remember what year that changed either.

Jealous

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Funny how THAT all went away.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
So nice of them to do our thinking for us.

images

dezguy

I’m not him so obviously I can’t say but either things have changed considerably or it’s just very very different up here in the great white north for both FedEx and UPS
Eh.... Not really. It will still take most, at least 10 years to hit top out. The only thing we have going over our brethren down South is we get to mid wage in 5 years.

Also, with how things are looking, don't be surprised to see no or minimal raises, like 2008, come October.

UPS will be at almost $37 an hour at the end of this contract. Purolator, not far behind them. We're getting close to $10/hour pay disparity range, should UPS' next contract see a jump in pay like this last one.

Fixxxer

Eh.... Not really. It will still take most, at least 10 years to hit top out. The only thing we have going over our brethren down South is we get to mid wage in 5 years.

Also, with how things are looking, don't be surprised to see no or minimal raises, like 2008, come October.

UPS will be at almost $37 an hour at the end of this contract. Purolator, not far behind them. We're getting close to $10/hour pay disparity range, should UPS' next contract see a jump in pay like this last one.

Do you recall what mid wage is?