FedEx Needs To Step UP

fedx

Extra Large Package
Yeah, a raise that brings an employee up to the level they should have been at eight years ago.

That ain’t what I call decent.

FedEx is notorious for being cheap skates. Like I've said before, I've been with Express for a few years now and I'm still a few dollars per hour below the STARTING pay at our competitors. And senior managers claim Express pays in line with our competitors. What a lie. And if you add in the fact that our competitors (not even including UPS) top out in 3 years time, I'm making over $15K less per year than our competitors. Truck drivers at Express should be making at least in the mid 20s per hour if they've been there over 3 years. I don't see that happening though. They would rather have a rotating door of training truck drivers only to have them leave 6 months later. That makes more sense to them than keeping drivers by paying a competitive wage.

It will be fine

FedEx is notorious for being cheap skates. Like I've said before, I've been with Express for a few years now and I'm still a few dollars per hour below the STARTING pay at our competitors. And senior managers claim Express pays in line with our competitors. What a lie. And if you add in the fact that our competitors (not even including UPS) top out in 3 years time, I'm making over $15K less per year than our competitors. Truck drivers at Express should be making at least in the mid 20s per hour if they've been there over 3 years. I don't see that happening though. They would rather have a rotating door of training truck drivers only to have them leave 6 months later. That makes more sense to them than keeping drivers by paying a competitive wage.
Why do you still work there then? If you can start at a higher wage somewhere else you should do that.

fedx

Extra Large Package
Why do you still work there then? If you can start at a higher wage somewhere else you should do that.

Good question. I probably should leave like everyone else. I guess I was holding out to see if Express would step up and pay a competitive wage after they see everyone leaving. I'm guessing that I'm wasting my time though.

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
I downd a shot evry tym a red th werd ‘com....com....compettisters’.....:wacko:

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
FedEx Express needs to step up on their RTD pay progression. Currently they have a rotating door where they train a new truck driver and within a few months, that new driver goes to greener pastures. I've heard upper managers claim how Express pays in line with competitors. What a bunch of BS. Not even counting our biggest competitor UPS which starts truck drivers out at about $30/hr, we're not even competitive with lower level carriers. XPO starts out at like $4/hr more in the same market I'm in and they top out in 3 years at $28/hr. All our competitors are similar in pay structure to XPO including FedEx Freight.

FedEx Express doesn't really have a problem with couriers quitting to go to competitors. You also don't hear in the news about a major shortage of ramp agents like you do truck drivers. FedEx needs to do something to retain these drivers. Instead of FedEx paying $6-$8 thousand per student to train them only to have them leave, maybe FedEx should up their starting pay for their truck drivers. There's no reason why a FedEx RTD should take 10 years (at best) to top out in pay for what all our competitors do in 3 years.

Here's what you do, from a very long-term RTD who knows trucking. Let FedEx train you and then get some EXPERIENCE, like at least 2 years. By then, if you're any good at all, you're accident-free, know how to shift and back, and generally know your way around a truck. Then, start looking for a UNION carrier and LEAVE. WalMart and Old Dominion are probably the only exceptions I can think of on the union deal. Staying at FedEx is a losing proposition, because they'll never pay you what you're worth and will game you on PT/FT as always.

Construction jobs pay really well, but any dirt hauler will tell you they sit during the bad weather months and make extremely good money during the good weather months. Prevailing wage jobs can pay some pretty amazing rates, but unless you live in SoCal or some other fair weather area, it can be pretty rough during the winter.

So, let Fred pay to train you, get your act together, and develop your skills so you can do things besides hit docks at the stations or the ramps. That means blind-siding into tight docks, maneuvering through city areas successfully, and learning to be a defensive professional driver. I would encourage a stint in Heavyweight, and as much shipper facility experience as possible. Just going ramp to station and return isn't great experience.

DO leave. You won't regret it.

It will be fine

Honestly I never talked to a ground driver that said he made good money.

But are you also factoring in benefits?
Yes. My younger drivers don’t care much about health insurance, the ones that do can purchase it relatively cheaply, a couple hundred bucks a month. My older drivers mostly get theirs through their wives. I think most people overestimate the value of benefits compared to their actual cost.

Nolimitz

Yes. My younger drivers don’t care much about health insurance, the ones that do can purchase it relatively cheaply, a couple hundred bucks a month. My older drivers mostly get theirs through their wives. I think most people overestimate the value of benefits compared to their actual cost.
and your 401k match is what?

My health care covers a good amount of stuff with little out of pocket. I get a lot of money paid into my pension and if you add up all of my vacations,sick, personal and paid holidays
That's almost 10 weeks

Last edited:

It will be fine

My health care covers a good amount of stuff with little out of pocket. I get a lot of money paid into my pension and if you add up all of my vacations,sick, personal and laid holidays
That's almost 10 weeks
And how many years did it take to get to that level? My jobs are jobs not careers. It’s good money for a couple years of work. No one should do this long term. You guys get laid holidays? Must be nice.

It will be fine

Only if you have the right route.

If a driver started now in four years he would be making $40 an hour

Medical after 9 months.
That’s off the street hires, right? Still 1 to 6 for that? 4 years is a long time to do this type of work. It’s a young man’s game, get some experience and move on to a less labor intensive driving job. Slinging boxes for 20-30 years is a great way to live with lasting injuries. It’s cruel to lure people in with pensions and health insurance, do the teamsters have no shame?

That’s off the street hires, right? Still 1 to 6 for that? 4 years is a long time to do this type of work. It’s a young man’s game, get some experience and move on to a less labor intensive driving job. Slinging boxes for 20-30 years is a great way to live with lasting injuries. It’s cruel to lure people in with pensions and health insurance, do the teamsters have no shame?
Some people can do it for that many years and others are just weak.