FedEx Needs To Step UP

thecamel

Waiting to put the re in front of tired
No but probably close to 30- By working on the West Coast and The Northeast gave him a starting higher rate that probably went down 2-3 percent when he transferred to the Southeast. Curious if your free health insurance is for you only or your family ?

That's the best part. For the family, even as a part timer. There's a small copay and a low deductible but no premium. The whole time I've been here. That's wife, kids, having kids, illnesses, surgeries, dental, vision, the whole nine. Even better part is now with Obama care the kids are covered up to age 26.

Serf

The simple fact is that you see a courier position open at express offering 18-20$ per hour, looks good on paper. Sure. But almost certainly is part time. You'll average 17-25 hrs a week. Be given catastrophic care health benefits and it won't be enough. Even if you could be promised 40 hrs at 19$ per hr, it's still not enough for a family. So if you do stay, you have to become a swing driver and get jerked around every day. And or work splits. It lay men's terms; be at the station 12-14 hrs a day to earn 8-9 hrs of pay. That is awful.

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
It’s just a really crappy, soulless industry, no matter how one slices it, and I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone - brown, purple, blue - whatever (no one I care about anyway) :D

vantexan

The simple fact is that you see a courier position open at express offering 18-20$ per hour, looks good on paper. Sure. But almost certainly is part time. You'll average 17-25 hrs a week. Be given catastrophic care health benefits and it won't be enough. Even if you could be promised 40 hrs at 19$ per hr, it's still not enough for a family. So if you do stay, you have to become a swing driver and get jerked around every day. And or work splits. It lay men's terms; be at the station 12-14 hrs a day to earn 8-9 hrs of pay. That is awful.
OK, you get hired at 24, marry at 26, have a kid when you're 28. You're already making in the $20's an hour and will be topped out before the kid is 6. And your wife lands a decent job and your mom watches the grandkid. There are millions of scenarios out there. Inflation isn't so much so you can actually get ahead. And if you look at what FedEx spends on payroll there's no way their profit will give 10's of thousands of couriers what they want so in the end where does complaining get you? Go into management, or get training in something that pays better. Or do as thousands of couriers do, be content now that they finally came up with better pay.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
OK, you get hired at 24, marry at 26, have a kid when you're 28. You're already making in the $20's an hour and will be topped out before the kid is 6. And your wife lands a decent job and your mom watches the grandkid. There are millions of scenarios out there. Inflation isn't so much so you can actually get ahead. And if you look at what FedEx spends on payroll there's no way their profit will give 10's of thousands of couriers what they want so in the end where does complaining get you? Go into management, or get training in something that pays better. Or do as thousands of couriers do, be content now that they finally came up with better pay.
C'mon Van. You're acting like FedEx is barely getting by and living hand to mouth. All the money spent on Nascar racing, golf, football, fat salaries for the Memphis elite, the RLA etc. Please.

vantexan

C'mon Van. You're acting like FedEx is barely getting by and living hand to mouth. All the money spent on Nascar racing, golf, football, fat salaries for the Memphis elite, the RLA etc. Please.
How much do they spend on that? Millions? And the elite make their big money on stock options. If the company spends half their gross(or more)on payroll then how will the leftover profit give you everything you want? Show me the math and I'll believe you. Not a matter of siding with the company, just basic math. Don't tell NoLimitz, he'll think I'm off my meds.

Serf

I'm not complaining as hard as it may seem. You said so yourself, millions of scenarios out there. Mine happens to be living in the Northeast where homes start in the mid to high 300 hundred thousands; & taxes are 8-10k a year. Anyone in this forum can do the math of what it takes day to day at 20 something per hr times 9,10,11 hours a day plus time and a half. It's blood money.

bacha29

Van is a dedicated corporate apologist who still believes that by making the 1% even wealthier the nation as a whole will be better. On the surface perhaps but when you dig down into the real machinations of corporate America that nothing gets in the way of the corporate elites.

Cactus

Van is a dedicated corporate apologist who still believes that by making the 1% even wealthier the nation as a whole will be better. On the surface perhaps but when you dig down into the real machinations of corporate America that nothing gets in the way of the corporate elites.
Indeed. They’ll work you like a racehorse as long as it gets the corporate elites a couple of more nickels in their compensation while they squeeze the turnip hoping to get blood and at employees expense. Of course.

Last edited:

Cactus

So you think all that stuff I mentioned comes cheap? I don’t think so. Remember we’re talking about the same company that screwed you on midrange and rehire pay. Of course we’re talking millions and no I don’t need to show the math. Have you priced a football stadium lately?

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
So you think all that stuff I mentioned comes cheap? I don’t think so. Remember we’re talking about the same company that screwed you on midrange and rehire pay. Of course we’re talking millions and no I don’t need to show the math. Have you priced a football stadium lately?
I'll estimate the math.

425,000 Express employees. Say 10% management=382,500 hourlies. Say 1 part-timer for every full-timer. $1 per hour raise for minimum hours= just over $10 million per week. Add another $1.5 per week if full employment. Or, in other words, roughly $600 million per year. That's about $.67 per package at current volume. Delete the unknown Amazon volume, and the per package cost rises significantly.

96 out of 100 businesses fail within 10 years, especially those who don't advertise (Nascar, Stadiums, Golf tournament, etc.). ALL major corporations compensate their executives excessively. Lobbying (bribing) Congress is a fact of life.

Any company that fails to protect its bottom line will eventually fail. Only the Treasury is allowed to print money. Controlling expenses is what responsible companies do.

That's the beauty of the American Promise. You are (assumedly) not a prisoner. You are not forced to work for any particular company. You are free to sell your labor to the highest bidder. You are free to relocate to a higher job market. You are free to make the choice of establishing yourself financially before starting a family, buying a new car, buying a house. Blaming an employer for your failure to consider all your options is deflecting.

vantexan

I'm not complaining as hard as it may seem. You said so yourself, millions of scenarios out there. Mine happens to be living in the Northeast where homes start in the mid to high 300 hundred thousands; & taxes are 8-10k a year. Anyone in this forum can do the math of what it takes day to day at 20 something per hr times 9,10,11 hours a day plus time and a half. It's blood money.
That's fair. Personally after living in Connecticut, Seattle, Colorado, and Santa Fe I'm never going to live in a high cost, high tax area again.

vantexan

They didn't buy the stadium. They paid to have their name on it. And I'm sure it was for prestige but also keeping the FedEx name everywhere generates sales. But again, don't know the exact numbers these days, but if FedEx grosses $60 Billion, spends close to half of that on payroll, and nets $2 Billion-$4 Billion in profit, how do they pay for what you want? They're never going to give the employees all the profit anyways. And yes when they were building Ground infrastructure they took from employees to do that and keep profits up. And lied to us repeatedly. But that was then. Now they have a decent pay plan in place which costs them considerably more. And they thought apparently they had enough profit to make big investments. Those investments are a huge drag right now. So where's the money coming from? I'm not saying this to defend them. Just pointing out the obvious.

vantexan

There are millions of businesses not owned by the 1%. Many of which employ people who make considerably less than the owners. That's our system. Proven to work too, unlike the fantasies your side pushes.