FedEx Needs To Step UP

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
And yes when they were building Ground infrastructure they took from employees to do that and keep profits up. And lied to us repeatedly. But that was then. Now they have a decent pay plan in place.
Decent pay plan?? You mean the one based solely on whether they feel like honoring it or not?

And the leopard changed its’ spots too I presume.

vantexan

Decent pay plan?? You mean the one based solely on whether they feel like honoring it or not?

And the leopard changed its’ spots too I presume.
Decent raises three years in a row. Until they deviate from the plan seems to me a system is in place.

dezguy

You would think they would know the answer to that question by now and let us know ...
Why? So they can have thousands of pissed off employees who know they aren't getting a raise this year? They'll wait as late as they can before announcing it. Announce it early and it may convince many to slow right down or for newer people to start looking for something else.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Why? So they can have thousands of pissed off employees who know they aren't getting a raise this year? They'll wait as late as they can before announcing it. Announce it early and it may convince many to slow right down or for newer people to start looking for something else.

Yeah because delaying such an announcement by a couple of months would make a difference.

dezguy

Yeah because delaying such an announcement by a couple of months would make a difference.
When's a better time? When you have staffing issues because everyone is off on vacation or visiting Dr. Summer off or in late September, early October when less people are off and people are saving for Christmas?

fedx

Extra Large Package

The company is not going to say anything about it (either way) until about 3 days before the October deadline. They certainly aren't going to tell employees months in advance that they aren't getting a raise. Then many will begin to look for a different job during the summer. Express would rather wait, spring the bad news on you, then expect you to work through peak, which most will do. Employees will put off looking for a new job till after the new year. Then it will be looking when the weather is warmer out. Then they'll forget about being mad and wait till the following Oct to see if they're getting a raise all over again.

It will be fine

The company is not going to say anything about it (either way) until about 3 days before the October deadline. They certainly aren't going to tell employees months in advance that they aren't getting a raise. Then many will begin to look for a different job during the summer. Express would rather wait, spring the bad news on you, then expect you to work through peak, which most will do. Employees will put off looking for a new job till after the new year. Then it will be looking when the weather is warmer out. Then they'll forget about being mad and wait till the following Oct to see if they're getting a raise all over again.
That would be corporate suicide in this labor market. Drivers with experience can choose which jobs they want to take not hope to get hired. Especially in October when every carrier is looking for seasonal help. I hope they don’t give out raises, it’ll make my peak recruiting easier.

dezguy

That would be corporate suicide in this labor market. Drivers with experience can choose which jobs they want to take not hope to get hired. Especially in October when every carrier is looking for seasonal help. I hope they don’t give out raises, it’ll make my peak recruiting easier.
So, people will give up permanent employment to go to work for you as a seasonal employee???

It will be fine

So, people will give up permanent employment to go to work for you as a seasonal employee???
Workers aren’t loyal to companies anymore. They know they can get another job when they quit. If Express screws their employees right before the busiest time of year for delivery drivers plenty will quit and find other jobs. It doesn’t matter if they’re permanent or not, they know they can get another job anytime.

dezguy

Workers aren’t loyal to companies anymore. They know they can get another job when they quit. If Express screws their employees right before the busiest time of year for delivery drivers plenty will quit and find other jobs. It doesn’t matter if they’re permanent or not, they know they can get another job anytime.
While you're right, people know they can get another job, I'm not leaving my permanent job for a seasonal one.

I'll wait out my permanent job till I find another permanent one, rather than hoping I can find a permanent job after quitting a permanent job for a seasonal job that won't be there in 3 months time.

vantexan

While you're right, people know they can get another job, I'm not leaving my permanent job for a seasonal one.

I'll wait out my permanent job till I find another permanent one, rather than hoping I can find a permanent job after quitting a permanent job for a seasonal job that won't be there in 3 months time.
Maybe Canada should look at what the USA is doing.

It will be fine

... Which you can also do here. My comment was towards the idea of quitting your permanent job for a seasonal one.
The point is, workers today, especially young ones, don’t see any job as permanent. If Express demonstrates their promises are empty and raises aren’t going to continue on the advertised schedule they’ll leave for something else. They leave already for full time jobs over the part time they get from Express. The young workforce isn’t going to wait around and work their way into better pay. They are going to get experience and leverage that for better jobs with someone else.

Serf

The point is, workers today, especially young ones, don’t see any job as permanent. If Express demonstrates their promises are empty and raises aren’t going to continue on the advertised schedule they’ll leave for something else. They leave already for full time jobs over the part time they get from Express. The young workforce isn’t going to wait around and work their way into better pay. They are going to get experience and leverage that for better jobs with someone else.
I second this. My question to Fedex would be: do they give a crap? 20/30 years ago one could confidently say they were going to go the blue collar route at a company like Express. Build a life. I don't see that as practical presently.

vantexan

I second this. My question to Fedex would be: do they give a crap? 20/30 years ago one could confidently say they were going to go the blue collar route at a company like Express. Build a life. I don't see that as practical presently.
I think they care when turnover is so high it threatens their existence. FedEx didn't come up with a new pay plan because of the kindness of their hearts.