FedEx Needs To Step UP

fedx

Extra Large Package
FedEx Express needs to step up on their RTD pay progression. Currently they have a rotating door where they train a new truck driver and within a few months, that new driver goes to greener pastures. I've heard upper managers claim how Express pays in line with competitors. What a bunch of BS. Not even counting our biggest competitor UPS which starts truck drivers out at about $30/hr, we're not even competitive with lower level carriers. XPO starts out at like $4/hr more in the same market I'm in and they top out in 3 years at $28/hr. All our competitors are similar in pay structure to XPO including FedEx Freight.

FedEx Express doesn't really have a problem with couriers quitting to go to competitors. You also don't hear in the news about a major shortage of ramp agents like you do truck drivers. FedEx needs to do something to retain these drivers. Instead of FedEx paying $6-$8 thousand per student to train them only to have them leave, maybe FedEx should up their starting pay for their truck drivers. There's no reason why a FedEx RTD should take 10 years (at best) to top out in pay for what all our competitors do in 3 years.

It will be fine

FedEx Express needs to step up on their RTD pay progression. Currently they have a rotating door where they train a new truck driver and within a few months, that new driver goes to greener pastures. I've heard upper managers claim how Express pays in line with competitors. What a bunch of BS. Not even counting our biggest competitor UPS which starts truck drivers out at about $30/hr, we're not even competitive with lower level carriers. XPO starts out at like $4/hr more in the same market I'm in and they top out in 3 years at $28/hr. All our competitors are similar in pay structure to XPO including FedEx Freight.

FedEx Express doesn't really have a problem with couriers quitting to go to competitors. You also don't hear in the news about a major shortage of ramp agents like you do truck drivers. FedEx needs to do something to retain these drivers. Instead of FedEx paying $6-$8 thousand per student to train them only to have them leave, maybe FedEx should up their starting pay for their truck drivers. There's no reason why a FedEx RTD should take 10 years (at best) to top out in pay for what all our competitors do in 3 years.
I always search the ads to make sure I’m competitive. There was a posting for Express class A driver. Shift 17:00 - 22:00. Paying less than $17/hr. Who is that even targeting? $400/week for a CDL job? Are they looking for retirees? But that schedule wouldn’t work for an older guy. It’s too many DOT hours for a second job. It didn’t make any sense.

Csdsm18

Ups starting pay is about the same as us just they top out much faster then us. 4yrs UPS 10yrs supposed to be Fedex Express which is a joke. I know the guys that have years in say that's not bad at all when it took us 25yrs to top out. We'll those days are gone for someone to wait that long. I have a interview Friday for UPS Cartage. Yes I'll take a pay cut but I'll be topped out much faster. I still have 6yrs to go to be topped out here at Express that's if it even goes as planned with the 10 steps.

MAKAVELI

I always search the ads to make sure I’m competitive. There was a posting for Express class A driver. Shift 17:00 - 22:00. Paying less than $17/hr. Who is that even targeting? $400/week for a CDL job? Are they looking for retirees? But that schedule wouldn’t work for an older guy. It’s too many DOT hours for a second job. It didn’t make any sense.
Lowest pay scale starting $18.13. highest pay scale starting at 21.75. The main issue is how long it takes to get to top range.

fedx

Extra Large Package
Are you talking about training them to get their CDL as well?

Yes I am. Express has no problem sending new hires to truck driver school at thousands of dollars for hotel, meals, flight, rental car, and paying the instructors. It would make more sense to keep RTDs from quitting instead of paying all that money to keep hiring replacements.

fedx

Extra Large Package
Lowest pay scale starting $18.13. highest pay scale starting at 21.75. The main issue is how long it takes to get to top range.

Exactly. But our starting pay is below industry average even compared to FedEx Freight, XPO, and other companies. I have been with Express for a few years now and my pay is a joke. If I was at any of the other companies I mentioned, I'd be topped out already. I'm still not even at their starting pay and like I said, I've been with Express for a few years now. And the answer isn't "look for another job" the answer is FedEx needs to reevaluate their RTD pay structure (and I am thinking about leaving as well if they don't step up soon.)

fedx

Extra Large Package
Been this way for years. @MrFedEx could tell you a thing or two about it as well.

Mr. FedEx left for greener pastures. He quit last year he told me. Funny thing is, I almost think he was a co worker of mine as he sounded just like a guy I worked with who also quit last year as well.

ManInBrown

UPs does not start at $30 an hour in feeders. In the 177 if you are hired off the street as a casual, you immediately go to top rate. You get zero perks. You work every holiday as directed. You work every weekend day they tell you to as directed. After peak is over you either get told to hit the road, or If youre lucky enough to be hired permanent you go back down to starting rate which is somewhere around $20 an hour. It takes 4 years to get to full rate which will be $40 an hour at the end of the current contract.

Last edited:

fedx

Extra Large Package
UPs does not start at $30 an hour in feeders. In the 177 if you are hired off the street as a casual, you immediately go to top rate. You get zero perks. You work every holiday as directed. You work every weekend day they tell you to as directed. After peak is over you either get told to hit the road, or If youre lucky enough to be hired permanent you go back down to starting rate which is somewhere around $20 an hour. It takes 4 years to get to full rate which will be $40 an hour at the end of the current contract.

So UPS starts out feeder drivers at $20/hr? So how does each raise work? How much are you at at the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd raise?

ManInBrown

So UPS starts out feeder drivers at $20/hr? So how does each raise work? How much are you at at the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd raise?
No. They start temps at full rate, at least in my local. I cant speak for other areas of the country. You work one year if they like you. After peak is over youre gone. If you get rehired permanent you go all the way back down to starting rate and it takes 4 years to get to full rate. I dont have the specifics of each raise but you can probably guess. Start at around $20. Four years later youre at $40

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Yes I am. Express has no problem sending new hires to truck driver school at thousands of dollars for hotel, meals, flight, rental car, and paying the instructors. It would make more sense to keep RTDs from quitting instead of paying all that money to keep hiring replacements.

If they pay for your CDL training you're required to stay in that position for a stated period of time. The cost of the training is amortized and over that period and you're required to pay off the balance if you leave before you've worked whatever the requirement is as stated in your offer letter.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
No. They start temps at full rate, at least in my local. I cant speak for other areas of the country. You work one year if they like you. After peak is over youre gone. If you get rehired permanent you go all the way back down to starting rate and it takes 4 years to get to full rate. I dont have the specifics of each raise but you can probably guess. Start at around $20. Four years later youre at $40
Lol. At Express one won’t even be at $40 after 30 years.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
If they pay for your CDL training you're required to stay in that position for a stated period of time. The cost of the training is amortized and over that period and you're required to pay off the balance if you leave before you've worked whatever the requirement is as stated in your offer letter.
I’ve never heard of anyone having to repay that in my district. Yes, they make you sign the paper but don’t enforce it.

MAKAVELI

but, still, 40 after 4 years. You won't see that kind of money even after 10 years at Express.
True but very few get hired off the street into feeders. Most of them work their way up through part time then package car then into feeders

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

What do you think is “competitive “

zeev

I encourage all the newbies to look around for better opportunities good for them and good for the old timers puts pressure on management.