FedEx Wages - zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Livin the Dream?

Disillusioned UPSer
I'm serious. This is a non-rhetorical question;

I cannot for the life of me figure out why I should give a damn what a FedEx employee makes per hour.

Can someone please explain to me why anyone already employed anywhere else, especially UPS, becomes so rabid over someone else at another company and what they make per hour?

I'd prefer to hear some common sense answer - I'd really like to know, because I don't get it.

NOTE "Fairness" is not an answer -

mungrin

Banned
Its because all these guys on this site are secretly jealous of Fedex that they need to start all these threads about Fedex and how they are getting ripped off.Thats the only thing I can think of.All the Fedex talk is getting really out of hand.Like who cares?

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Dude......like you brought it up. So if it is not that interesting to you, why give it extra air time??????

What IS the deal with you and their wages?

d

Livin the Dream?

Disillusioned UPSer
Dude......like you brought it up. So if it is not that interesting to you, why give it extra air time??????

What IS the deal with you and their wages?

d

Don't exactly know who you are talking to, but assuming it is me...

The fact that everyone here is in a frenzy about it is very interesting to me, and the basis of my question - why?

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
I have yet to see anything that resembles a frenzied post about the subject, until this one.

Maybe I need to spend a lot more time looking at every post..........

d

It's not good to make far more than your competitors. It puts your employer at a grave disadvantage. And the best way to protect your wages and benefits is for the competition to make close to what you make. Then your employer can compete and may pay you a little more than them, just to keep you happy.

UPS drivers have the best wages and benefits in the industry. But with the recent cutbacks at FedEx, we now far outpace all the competition. That's good for us on payday, but it's going to be bad for us on Aug. 1, 2013.

George

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
You should care because the "subsidy" FedEx Express gets by being able to stay classified under the RLA means lower rates and operating costs for a direct competitor. The IC model at FedEx Ground has the same effect on rates and operating costs.

UPSGUY72

I'm serious. This is a non-rhetorical question;

I cannot for the life of me figure out why I should give a damn what a FedEx employee makes per hour.

Can someone please explain to me why anyone already employed anywhere else, especially UPS, becomes so rabid over someone else at another company and what they make per hour?

I'd prefer to hear some common sense answer - I'd really like to know, because I don't get it.

NOTE "Fairness" is not an answer -

Are you for real????? Anyone with half a brain could figure it out but since you can't I'll explain.

1. UPS and FedEx do the same thing (ie deliver packages if you didn't know).

2. UPS and FedEx currently are cover under 2 different labor act.

3. Which makes it harder for Fedex employees to unionize which intern means FedEx can pay there employees/ subcontractor alot less than UPS pays their employees and.

4. FedEx use subcontractor to get around paying benifits.

5. Thus FedEx can set low ball prices.

6. If FedEx has to operate under the same labor act as UPS they would eventually become fully unionized and have to pay thier employees a fair wage with benifits while getting rid of subcontractors.

7. Which intern would mean FedEx would have to Stop low balling Bids.

8. Thus and even playing field.

MD Dan

Are you for real????? Anyone with half a brain could figure it out but since you can't I'll explain.

1. UPS and FedEx do the same thing (ie deliver packages if you didn't know).

2. UPS and FedEx currently are cover under 2 different labor act.

3. Which makes it harder for Fedex employees to unionize which intern means FedEx can pay there employees/ subcontractor alot less than UPS pays their employees and.

4. FedEx use subcontractor to get around paying benifits.

5. Thus FedEx can set low ball prices.

6. If FedEx has to operate under the same labor act as UPS they would eventually become fully unionized and have to pay thier employees a fair wage with benifits while getting rid of subcontractors.

7. Which intern would mean FedEx would have to Stop low balling Bids.

8. Thus and even playing field.

Exactly! (Spelling issues aside)

Buffaloaf

I don't think that "fairness" is what the poster was trying to say. To say you want to,"level the playing field," is to say that you do not want your competitor to have the flexibility to offer low ball bids for contracts because they are not paying their employees well. People want FedEx to have to pay similar wages and benes as UPS because they believe that -- with a level playing field -- UPS will be able to win over some major contracts from FedEx. In return, we will be able to keep our already nice salaries and benes, but will also be able to create more Full-time Management, Full-time Combo, and Full-time driver jobs. It's good for Union and management alike.

Does this make sense to the original poster?

Buffaloaf

Like I said, fairness is not a valid answer. Life isn't, hasn't been, and will never be fair.

I'm not sure how this is even relevant. Just because life isn't fair doesn't mean that we shouldn't approach it with a goal for equality. Did we tell black people, "Quit your crying; bail some hay; life isn't fair!" No, we (very slowly) began giving them rights and freedoms. We didn't tell women it was okay for us to not allow them to vote because "Life isn't fair."

Granted these are more drastic examples, but I think it carries the same spirit of trying to achieve some sort of state of equity. No one can expect for everything to be equal and fair all the time -- but they should expect that fairness and equity was in mind when the decisions were made.

MD Dan

Fairness doesn't enter into it. This is all about competition. If FedEx has to work under the same labor laws as UPS, then FedEx labor costs will also tend to be similar to UPS. This is the level playing field that we (at UPS) find desirable.

Livin the Dream?

Disillusioned UPSer
A level playing field, fair, would be UPS having the ability to use the same model as FedEx.

We can't, because we are hobbled by the union. So we are pulling a Tonya Harding on FedEx.

That's not fairness, that is not making the playing field level - that is breaking your competitors kneecaps with a pipe.

All the fluff that people spew about fairness, level playing field - I call baloney.

Let's use the Freeing of the slaves example above - to use what UPS is doing with FedEx would be the same as helping those that were slaves by making everyone slaves - that levels the playing field.

It would be like taking the women who couldn't vote & telling them "no problem - we'll make it so both men AND women can't vote".

Of course the above two examples make no sense and are stupid - and exactly what UPS is doing.

If everyone at UPS said "hey, we're screwed due to the Union, and we can make FedExes expenses just as high as ours by using legislative warfare, forcing them to use higher wages & benefits", I would at least be able to respect that. But all this total BS about "fair" is a lie. UPS can't adapt with pay, so we force others to pay as much as we are forced to. At least that is honest.

Buffaloaf

You obviously have comprehension and psychological issues that are far beyond the help anyone could offer over a message board. We gave you legitimately good reasons for why people are concerned over this issue, you simply choose to reject them. Good day.

Johney

I think what a lot of posters are missing here is the fact that if the laws are changed it really shouldn't mean anything unless the employees at Fed Ex vote/decide to go union. Their wages are not going to change by this bill(or whatever)passing right? The Fed Ex express guy I talked to today(25years with them) had no idea what was going on.He told me there was no way they were going to unionize. So really a level playing field is if they unionize like us and they fight for more $$$. If not how do things change?

M

Mike23

Lets also look at it this way.

1. Our contract is up soon
2. That means we need to negotiate
3. Fedex does the same stuff we do
(I use numbers like management too MD Dan ;) )

What does this add up to? UPS will be sitting at the tables going, 'well, feeeedex doesn't get paid that much! We pay our employees well enough I think'.

Fedex has lower wages so therefore it's VERY likely we'll have lower wages.