FedEx Wages - zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Livin the Dream?

Disillusioned UPSer
You gave me legitimate reasons why FEDEX employees would care. And the vast majority of FedEx employees don't care about this issue.

I already KNOW that raising the expenses at FedEx has the potential to help UPS by hurting FedEx. That is an obvious. I also believe that is the only reason this is being done.

I guess if FedEx employees were rallying for this, I would be all for it. They are not. It is UPS pushing it, which is distasteful at best.

Sorry for bothering all with the thread.

Livin the Dream?

Disillusioned UPSer
Lets also look at it this way.

1. Our contract is up soon
2. That means we need to negotiate
3. Fedex does the same stuff we do
(I use numbers like management too MD Dan ;) )

What does this add up to? UPS will be sitting at the tables going, 'well, feeeedex doesn't get paid that much! We pay our employees well enough I think'.

Fedex has lower wages so therefore it's VERY likely we'll have lower wages.

See, that is at least honest - I respect that. No "helping our brother drivers to be paid fair" total BS.

bluehdmc

You gave me legitimate reasons why FEDEX employees would care. And the vast majority of FedEx employees don't care about this issue.

I already KNOW that raising the expenses at FedEx has the potential to help UPS by hurting FedEx. That is an obvious. I also believe that is the only reason this is being done.

I guess if FedEx employees were rallying for this, I would be all for it. They are not. It is UPS pushing it, which is distasteful at best.

Sorry for bothering all with the thread.

How do you know the "vast majority of FedEx empoyees don't care about this issue"?

What I find distasteful is a company, (not just fedex), that starts out telling their employees, "you don't need a union, we'll pay you a comparable wage and benefit package, after all we're just one big happy family."

Then a few years down the road, "Dad" starts saying things like, "business is tough, benefit costs have skyrocketed."
"We're all gonna have to pitch in, so family, you're gonna have to take a pension cut, forego your raises, and help contribute to the cost of your benefits, (kind like a double pay cut)."
"We'll weather this storm and come out on the other side a stronger company."
"After all we're just on big happy family"

Meanwhile, "Dad" takes a token pay cut, (hey when you make say $15million a year, is even a $5 million pay cut a lot? When is there enough millions).

Also "Dad" always wanted a sports team, lets go buy one. (But that's separate, that's "Dad" using his own money to buy the team. Company money is in "Dad's" right pants pocket, "personal" monies in the left. That's when it goes out, it all gets stuffed in the pockets from the same source)

Plus "Dad" or any big business, (and quite a few small ones), pay accountants all kinds of money to figure ways to "enrich" themselves and lower their "tax burden".

So maybe they're making "less money" but the hidden "executive" perks, such as private jets, chauffered cars, etc are still there.

It's like an old joke about two business men having lunch together, "Joe" asks "Bill", "How's business?"
Bill replies, "Not bad."
Joe replies, "Great, now I can write this off as a business lunch."
Of course they've limited the # of martinis they can write off.

mungrin

Banned
That's not fairness, that is not making the playing field level - that is breaking your competitors kneecaps with a pipe.
I completly agree with you.Its not fair.But who said life is fair.
We are going to put Fedex out of business.Its ugly but thats what business is.If you cant stand the heat,stay out of the kitchen.

I enjoy hurting Fedex and I hope Obama,the Teamsters and UPS continue hurting Fedex.It helps me sleep better at night.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
A level playing field, fair, would be UPS having the ability to use the same model as FedEx.

We can't, because we are hobbled by the union. So we are pulling a Tonya Harding on FedEx.

If we are "hobbled" by the union, how did we become the largest and most profitable delivery company on earth?

If we take your "logic" to its ultimate, ridiculous conclusion...we in the United States should just eliminate all child labor laws, enviormental laws, and safety laws so that we will have a "level" playing field and can use the same model as, say, China.

You are proposing a race to the bottom. I would prefer a race to the top.

JimJimmyJames

Big Time Feeder Driver
You obviously have comprehension and psychological issues that are far beyond the help anyone could offer over a message board. We gave you legitimately good reasons for why people are concerned over this issue, you simply choose to reject them. Good day.

There are people who participate on these boards who suck the unsuspecting into a vortex from which logic and reasonableness will not help you to escape.

My new rule when confronted with these types of posters is to use the almighty "ignore" tool. Ignoring someone, in this case permanently, does wonders for your psyche.

Just ask anybody who has been married for a long enough time :funny:.

MD Dan

Lets also look at it this way.

1. Our contract is up soon
2. That means we need to negotiate
3. Fedex does the same stuff we do
(I use numbers like management too MD Dan ;) )

What does this add up to? UPS will be sitting at the tables going, 'well, feeeedex doesn't get paid that much! We pay our employees well enough I think'.

Fedex has lower wages so therefore it's VERY likely we'll have lower wages.

Mike,
Management already thinks they pay us too much, but since we will stay in the NRLA no matter what and FedEx may soon be operating under the same labor laws(which make it easier for their employees to organize than the RLA)it is more likely that their wages will go up than ours will go down. It's even more likely that Fred will try to figure out how to move his express business to the contractor model. Now THAT could be a disaster for UPS employees as well as fedex employees.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Mike,
Management already thinks they pay us too much, ...
I don't think that is correct.
I think the Wall St analysts, the HR compensation consultants and our customers think UPS drivers and management are paid too much.
Management total compensation has been reduced over the last decade. It will be an interesting decade coming up.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Dear Livin in a Dream

And the vast majority of FedEx employees don't care about this issue.

I love people with connections, someone that speaks for everyone in a group. You remind me of Jessie Jackson. You really only speak for a very small group, but because you claim to speak for the vast majority, and no one has the guts to call you a liar, you think and some people allow you credibility.

What a crock. We dont want to hurt your company, we only want you to play by the same rules that have applied to UPS and all the other delivery services companies. You dont want to be forced out from under the RLA, then let us be able to fall under the RLA like you.

You have misused your legal position under the RLA to venture into businesses that you should never have been allowed to venture into, while under the RLA. You have misused your exemption under the RLA to unfairly compete with trucking companies, both LTL and small package.

Its you that have not only tried to hurt other companies by your unfair advantage, but have actually been the cause of companies going under because of your unfair advantage.

And now that this unfair advantage is about to be taken away, its everybody else that is doing something wrong? When all along, you have been the one to expand the original intent of the RLA to include all your master business models?

Sorry, you have been a suckling child hiding behind the protection of a big brother RLA. You have taunted and attacked other companies from your position of safety, then retreated behind that wall. No longer will you now be able to run and hide. You will have to grow up and face your challenges like a true man on a battlefield, without being able to hide behind big brother.

Get used to it. Obama lied to you. Just like he lied to everyone else.

See, your problem is that you are so focused on just one angle of this discussion, that of unionism, that you fail to even recognize any of the other aspects of the discussion. UPS is pushing the the abolishing of the special favors you have enjoyed for the last several decades, your special bailout since you were formed. Now that you will no longer be able to legally hide, you will have to come out and play.

And it will be so very interesting, when given the freedom to actually be able to vote on the subject of unionism, which way your "vast majority" that are not "rallying for this" will vote.

I think that when the votes are counted, the results will show that you are not a disillusioned UPSer as you claim, but a low-bred mouthpiece for FedEx management.

d

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
How do you know the "vast majority of FedEx empoyees don't care about this issue"?

What I find distasteful is a company, (not just fedex), that starts out telling their employees, "you don't need a union, we'll pay you a comparable wage and benefit package, after all we're just one big happy family."

Then a few years down the road, "Dad" starts saying things like, "business is tough, benefit costs have skyrocketed."
"We're all gonna have to pitch in, so family, you're gonna have to take a pension cut, forego your raises, and help contribute to the cost of your benefits, (kind like a double pay cut)."
"We'll weather this storm and come out on the other side a stronger company."
"After all we're just on big happy family"

Meanwhile, "Dad" takes a token pay cut, (hey when you make say $15million a year, is even a $5 million pay cut a lot? When is there enough millions).

Also "Dad" always wanted a sports team, lets go buy one. (But that's separate, that's "Dad" using his own money to buy the team. Company money is in "Dad's" right pants pocket, "personal" monies in the left. That's when it goes out, it all gets stuffed in the pockets from the same source)

Plus "Dad" or any big business, (and quite a few small ones), pay accountants all kinds of money to figure ways to "enrich" themselves and lower their "tax burden".

So maybe they're making "less money" but the hidden "executive" perks, such as private jets, chauffered cars, etc are still there.

It's like an old joke about two business men having lunch together, "Joe" asks "Bill", "How's business?"
Bill replies, "Not bad."
Joe replies, "Great, now I can write this off as a business lunch."
Of course they've limited the # of martinis they can write off.

You obviously get it. This is pretty much the way it is at FedEx. I especially like "the few years down the road" part, which is exactly how it happened. FedEx used to be a fabulous company, until upper management decided they could and would squeeze us to fatten the profit margin at the expense of the employee.

Well stated, and congratulations for understanding the situation at FedEx.

over9five

Staff member
They always take Livin the Dream's? bait. He has always been great at stirring the pot. Some people never learn............

Some people forget,
unlike others.
Can't seem to remember, they should
kick the habit.
Enough already!
Remember what I
said!!!
!

Buffaloaf

There are people who participate on these boards who suck the unsuspecting into a vortex from which logic and reasonableness will not help you to escape.

My new rule when confronted with these types of posters is to use the almighty "ignore" tool. Ignoring someone, in this case permanently, does wonders for your psyche.

Just ask anybody who has been married for a long enough time :funny:.

I didn't mean to come off so rude, but I read that right before I needed to leave my house and part of me was frustrated that I couldn't continue with the discussion. Since I knew I wouldn't be able to get anything else in, I was ruder than I normally am.