Feeder drivers pay?

UpsPDXman

Are feeder drivers paid hourly or mileage for runs farther than 140 miles?
Reason I ask is the feeder drivers I pass seem to be driving slower than the posted speed limit on the Interstate.

trickpony1

Reason I ask is the feeder drivers I pass seem to be driving slower than the posted speed limit on the Interstate.

If they are driving slower than the posted speed limit it might be because they are pulling overweight (and illegal) loads or they are being safe. Trying to stop a vehicle that is 35-110 feet long, wiggles in 1-5 places and weighs 80,000+ pounds isn't like trying to stop your personal car.

How fast would you prefer they drive?

raceanoncr

Amount of miles makes no difference. If they are considered "hot" loads, then run (if over 500 miles) is deemed "mileage". They run as fast (well, depending on the driver) as the truck will go.

If not "hot", then run is by hour. Here "hourly" trucks won't even RUN the speed limint so maybe that's what you see. In some states also, there is split speed limit. Illinois is one example. 65-70 for cars, 55 for trucks.

We, here, have some mileage runs that are 570 miles round trip. We've got same run, same miles, with different loads that are hourly. Go, figger.

Mike Hawk

Out of curiosity, what's the point of pay/mile? Is it incentive for the driver to go faster? I understand why it works for independent drivers and trucking companys, more expensive to run the longer the run is, but feeders just drive, the maintence costs are paid by the company.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Feeder Drivers get paid for what they do?:wink2:

Just kidding folks. Seniority is one of the few good things about this company.

Bad Gas!

I taked to a feeder driver at the pumps the other night who makes 100-120k on mileage runs.He doesn't work much over 50 hours a week...Great pay..That's why they have over 50 -30+years guys in feeder here who don't want to retire...and if they have layovers they get some OT thrown in..Good for them..I don't want to drive a vacation run every day even at the expense of pkg car killing my body..

Mike Hawk

Feeder Drivers get paid for what they do?:wink2:

Just kidding folks. Seniority is one of the few good things about this company.

So I take it they make mad money with pay/mile runs? Seems odd that UPS would A, pay more than necessary and B, they can pay it to some and not others.

UpsPDXman

Thank you for the responses. I know safety is the key factor in driving a tractor trailer. I myself just started a shorthaul run from Portland to Seattle for the bastard stepchild company "Ups Cartage Services, Inc.". They pay me hourly for a roundtrip run that is 330 miles. I work 8 hrs Mon-Fri, so the pay is still good.

P.S. We haul our own heavy weight airfreight no small pack stuff.

There are variables that give us a right to go slower. Going N from NY posted speed limit is 50 for trucks(yes 50) for trucks. Rain snow and even night time driving must be taken into account when we drive on the roads, We also must leave a space cushion from the cars ahead of us for any abrupt stops or movement. If you know your habits, you will feel alot safer on the road that UPS teaches you, I would follow them. Another issus is the lighting on major highways.Alot of them dont have street lighting on parts of them and the lights an the front of the tractors really arent the best things in the world either. I think UPS is very happy with their feeder drivers safety on the road and thats why we rarely get into serious accidents. UPS feeder drivers are concidered one of the safest fleet in the world.(managment pcm)

UpsPDXman

Sorry that this post got derailed into a safety point of view, it was just an attempt to find out if the drivers got paid by the mile or hourly. I do understand SAFETY is key in UPS and definitely behind wheel of a such a large vehicle.

All runs here sre paid hourly, and we have over 25 that go further than 140 miles. If you pass any of our drivers that go slower than the posted speed limit, they do so out of safety. You need to remember that it is the drivers responsibility to determine what is safe for them regarding all of the variables. Not the person looking in from the outside.

wannabeups

That's why they have over 50 -30+years guys in feeder here who don't want to retire...and if they have layovers they get some OT thrown in...

Alot of the feeder drivers that have mileage run were alive when the DEAD SEA was only sick. A couple of them were witnesses when Cain killed Abel.

Only kidding. All of them are a wealth of knowlege. Most of them are more than happy to pass their knowlege and good guys.

feeder53

ADKtrails
I get paid by the hour for my runs, more if I have double pups and more if I run double bottoms. The pay is good and I do the speed limit. If it is a hot load, I get it there as fast as safely possible for the conditions. I ran the meadowlands, Springfield - Worcester and Plattsburgh. If there was time left for my hours for the day they would use them up doing yard (Brownie) moves. Usually a 12-14 hour day.

rushfan

LMAO wannabeups. No mileage runs here. I understand in other centers where there are mileage runs that's true. They're older than dirt. And I will second, they are full of knowledge.

Highwayman

We get paid hourly at my center. At the hubs they have some mileage trips and also the OTR (white) trucks that expedite loads to far away hubs these are mileage as well. I make hourly so I drive the speed limit. We have a guy bidding nights on a new run(over 400 miles) that only has done day work before we shall see if this is a vacation run soon enough.:knockedout:

rod

Retired 22 years
I taked to a feeder driver at the pumps the other night who makes 100-120k on mileage runs.He doesn't work much over 50 hours a week...Great pay..That's why they have over 50 -30+years guys in feeder here who don't want to retire...and if they have layovers they get some OT thrown in..Good for them..I don't want to drive a vacation run every day even at the expense of pkg car killing my body..

Working feeders is a whole different world compared to delivery. I would say most feeder drivers work longer than 30 years. More power to them. (the less people taking their share out of the pension pie the better-----it just means more for me):happy2:

spif91

I get paid by the hour for my runs, more if I have double pups and more if I run double bottoms. The pay is good and I do the speed limit. If it is a hot load, I get it there as fast as safely possible for the conditions. I ran the meadowlands, Springfield - Worcester and Plattsburgh. If there was time left for my hours for the day they would use them up doing yard (Brownie) moves. Usually a 12-14 hour day.
Hey 53, it is funny to hear the different terms used in feeders in different parts of the country. What do you mean by double bottoms? The old 28ft drop frames?

Treegrower

If they are driving slower than the posted speed limit it might be because they are pulling overweight (and illegal) loads or they are being safe. Trying to stop a vehicle that is 35-110 feet long, wiggles in 1-5 places and weighs 80,000+ pounds isn't like trying to stop your personal car.

How fast would you prefer they drive?

I talk to my friends in the feeder dept as well as the local B.A. Seems that around here at least mgt. has given strict orders to feeder drivers that they must drive the posted speed limit at all times. No exceptions. I guess it turned really nasty over the winter months. from what I was told and heard through the grapevine that mgt. started firing driver for not driving the posted speed limit. Crazy as it sounds the B.A. had to go to the state panel with at least 2 cases where the driver was fired for 'failure to follow instructions" and "stealing time" because they were not driving to posted speed limit. Both got their jobs back. Crazy thing is, is that mgt. seems to be targeting drivers with high senoriity and age. We are talking age 62 or better and 40 years driving. Seems mgt. wants the older drivers gone. The " hasseling" of high senority feeder drivers got so bad one driver filed a complaint for age discrimination with the EEOC. That set off a hornets nest from what we heard.