Feeder Drivers....

drewed

Shankman
I had a discussion with a coworker earlier, I read somewhere that the intitial feeder training that youre sent off to do is unpaid, they said it was....which is it? Id ask our feeder drivers but we only have a couple and they come back at weird hours

1080Driver

From what I've heard from guys that went into Feeder, UPS pays for the training, but doesn't pay the trainee.......so you must use your own days (vacation, sick, OPHs) if you want to get a paycheck for the time in training. Not sure if its the same all over, but thats what I hear it to be in Local 804.

feederdriver06

former monkey slave
Two weeks of training for feeders.......The first week is unproductive and is unpaid unless you pay yourself with vacation time sick days and/or personal days - the second week is productive and you will be paid your hourly rate for all time worked

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

How about package car training? Do we get paid time for that? If so, at what rate?

Yes. You normally get 3 days with a sup and 30 days to qualify, which is supposed to be on the same area. This is all paid time as you will be working as you are being trained. You are paid at the cover driver rate in place at the time you start driving.

JimJimmyJames

Big Time Feeder Driver
In Metro Jersey we are sent for two weekends unpaid to an outside driving school to get our license. UPS pays for the school. After successfully attaining your license you than are trained by UPS for two weeks, one week unproductive, one week productive. We are paid for both weeks.

drewed

Shankman
Yea thatd what I thought, the class itself was paid for and the training time itself was either partially paid or not at all

brownrodster

I had a discussion with a coworker earlier, I read somewhere that the intitial feeder training that youre sent off to do is unpaid, they said it was....which is it? Id ask our feeder drivers but we only have a couple and they come back at weird hours

I've gathered here that feeder training is different all over the country. Our feeder guys are sent to a hub for 2 weeks of training. They are paid for hours, hotels, food, and mileage.

outta hours

In my region we go to a two day weekend school 7am-6pm unpaid. Then one week of unpaid training followed by one week of paid productive training.

Bryishre

ktm atv racer
Our area you train for two weeks. First week unpaid then the second week is paid. Then you drive to a diffrent hub to have a person from dmv come out and give the road test.

bluehdmc

Hired off the street in North Jersey already had CDL. Got 1 week unproductive training. 1 day watching videos, 3 days of doubles training, and 1 day actually doing productive training. Got paid 40 hrs for the week all classified as "training" on paycheck.
Then one week of productive training with on road supervisor, did customer pickups, then did various runs to rail yards, other hubs, one of which was a "100 mile 53' qualification, pito training, (shifting). Logged runs in IVIS in tractor and got paid for actual hours worked with time and a half for OT.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
I went to the Teamster Drivers School we used to have in Boston. A good time was had by all! The instuctor drove for 35 yrs and knew everything,you could not bull ship him. I ran over a cone the first day,he picked up the cone and threw it at my head""that was my grandson you maroon'' From that moment forward we all knew the cones were his grandkids.State Trooper took us all for test in downtown Boston rush hour. Every guy passed first time around.