Feeder Qualified Question

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Almost 20
I've found 2 things to be true
A) The worst feeder routes are way better than the best delivery ones
B) It's like I'm working for a different company
You have a top heavy high seniority feeder list!! Damn, I would have thought with 20 years you would be half way up!!

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
You have a top heavy high seniority feeder list!! Damn, I would have thought with 20 years you would be half way up!!

Yeah, still have guys that have been FT since the 70's
I'm pretty zen about it. Whatever route I get, no big deal.
If I get bumped, then he's been here longer and deserves it.
I'm looking forward to the second half of my career in here, regardless.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
It's your life , your family , do what you think is right!
I was in feeders for a year , got bumped down to # 5 on cover list , would have to drive about 70 miles round trip each day to do cover , so I went back to pkg for a few yrs , more money and better Vaca to spend with my kids ,, I heard guys talk,, but who the hell cares , did what was right for my family , came back to feedahs three yrs later and things were better seniority wise !!

barnyard

KTM rider
A guy wanting to go back to package from feeders. Now I've heard it all

We have at least 6 guys that have left feeders in my building. None of them had enough seniority to hold a route, so they covered and got sick of covering. I have been a cover guy for 6 or 7 years, the more senior guy has 9 or 10 years and the less senior guy has been covering for 7. A few years ago, we had a 25 year driver retired, he was feeder qualified, but never had enough seniority to hold a route.

I had lunch with a cover guy from a neighboring center (his route borders the route I was covering), he was feeder qualified, wanted to quit after 4 years, was strung along for a year and finally went to the county DMV and asked for his CDL to be revoked. The FNN reported that there was a feeder in Gunn that was forced to take a run (low seniority and qualified, no one signed the bid, so it is his.) That driver reportedly is not a fan.

barnyard

KTM rider
Vacations are huge in my building. I am right about the middle of the list and can take all my weeks in the summer. If I were in any of my local hubs, I would be towards the bottom, looking at early Spring and non hunting Fall weeks.
Last summer, I had 3 weeks in June and 1 in July (all in a row) and am going to try and do it again this year. Would not be able to if I were in feeders in a hub.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
It took me 2 months to get used to it.
I questioned if I made the right decision.

I now know I should have done it 2 years ago, not this year, LOL
It took me 1 day. I finished my production week on a Friday and started covering my first run the following Monday. After the first day on my own I knew there was no way I was going back to package, they'd have to shoot me first.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
They all think they can do it and 95% of them don't last a week before they come running back.
Note: It's the only time you see a feeder driver run.
Can you really call it running? It's more of walking with a lot of extra flailing of the arms.

Johney

No problem... I believe most everywhere is 3 years... use to be 2 in some areas but they felt like the training and money spend was worth more than a short 2 year commitment... so do you not like feeder or just don't want to wait forever for the regular guy to leave??

And to the OPs question, you are qualified to cover and have to cover for 3 years.
You can bail here at any time as long as you haven't gained seniority in feeders, which is bidding a run and doing it one day. Not many do it mind you, two since I've been here. One didn't care for it and the other just wanted his CDL.Why and not stay in who knows.

Cementups

Box Monkey
“They all think they can do it”....lol always gotta be an :censored2: in the group.

There’s lots of truck drivers out there Cement, you are not a beautiful or unique snowflake. Different strokes for different folks, simple as that.

I speak from experience my fine feathered friend. I was in package for 21 years. Since I've gone to feeders 6 months ago I've seen about 5 (lower seniority) guys attempt to make the switch to package to try and get daylight hours. None of them lasted a week before they were climbing in the cab of a Mack. It's not being a dick if it's based on fact. ;)

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
The FNN reported that there was a feeder in Gunn that was forced to take a run (low seniority and qualified, no one signed the bid, so it is his.) That driver reportedly is not a fan.
GUNN and Devils Lake are about the only two centers in the world where being in package is not necessarily a bad thing. They're basically all rural retirement routes.

rod

Retired 22 years
GUNN and Devils Lake are about the only two centers in the world where being in package is not necessarily a bad thing. They're basically all rural retirement routes.

I know a retired package driver out of GUNN that used to run between 16 and 20 stops a day. He liked to brag that he had the easiest delivery route in UPS

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
BCF797CE-6C10-4CE0-8965-E95A4FCE5BDA.png

Devils Lake looks like a happening place