feeder training

gray squirrel

When and where does UPS offer feeder training for a driver transferring to feeders? I'm in the central states teamster local. Do I pay for the training, or does ups? Has anyone went through the training lately, and what can I do to prepare for the training? I'm in Ohio. Thanks.

over9five

Staff member
It varies by location.

HERE, they will post a sign-up list when they want to run a school. HERE, to sign up, you can't have had an avoidable accident within the past year. You have to have a Class A learners permit with air, doubles/triples, and combinations endorsements before the class begins. HERE, you are paid 40 hours straight time to take the class. It is four 10 hour Saturdays, but you are welcome to come in on your own time to practice. They will provide equipment and someone to go with you to your road test.

Just study whatever the RMV gives you so you'll pass the learners permit test. The rest you'll learn in the class.

Good luck!

lastoasis

in PA we trained 5 straight days unpaid, then 5 days paid. they scheduled the state test for the 6th or 7th day. After you pass the state test you still have to be qualified by parcel.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

in PA we trained 5 straight days unpaid, then 5 days paid. they scheduled the state test for the 6th or 7th day. After you pass the state test you still have to be qualified by parcel.

So it is possible to get your CDL on the company's dime yet not be feeder qualified? Would you go back to package at that point?

terrymac

every night i got off the pkg car feeling like had been beat up, I would go to cristcdl.com they have the tests there.. very short registration, 99 percent of the questions are word for word , as on the real test....some are trickey,, wording is also important.. all drivers should give that site a visit............

So it is possible to get your CDL on the company's dime yet not be feeder qualified? Would you go back to package at that point?
If for some reason you fail feeder training then you would go back to package.

HERE,when I made the list I went from package on Friday to a week of unpaid feeder training on Monday. I was responsible for taking the written testes myself,the scores were recorded in a DMV computer so that they would be on record when I was issued my license. The second week of training was paid at which on Friday on our way back from a training driver we stopped at the DMV and I had a CDL issue to me at that time,no driving test had to be taken with a state official. At that time my trainer was state certified and could sign off on my license.

yeldarb

I went Feeders in 2006, and training was Monday-Friday, first week, I just cashed a weeks vacation to cover it, got paid the second week. The first year in Feeders was good. Consistent work, crappy start times though. Second year, not quite as consistent. The third year, spent alot of time back in package car, and began dreading getting held out by feeders, since it was so inconsistent, and I realised how much I would hate working nights for the rest of my life. In our contract, after 3 years in feeders, if one does not have a bid run, they can go back to package car, without losing their route, or seniority. That is what I did. I got a CDL with triples endorsements out of it, and I missed out on 3 peak seasons in package car.

over9five

Staff member

I think that could happen here too, but I've never heard of it. Once UPS trains you in their class, you OWE them two years in Feeders. We have some who are UPS trained and have their CDL, but have not gone to Feeders yet. These people can be forced into Feeders at any time to do their two years. In this economy however, that is highly unlikely to happen.

lastoasis

I think that could happen here too, but I've never heard of it. Once UPS trains you in their class, you OWE them two years in Feeders. We have some who are UPS trained and have their CDL, but have not gone to Feeders yet. These people can be forced into Feeders at any time to do their two years. In this economy however, that is highly unlikely to happen.

It happens at least once a year around here.........also plenty of casual applicants, with CDL's, do not get qualified

spif91

I went Feeders in 2006, and training was Monday-Friday, first week, I just cashed a weeks vacation to cover it, got paid the second week. The first year in Feeders was good. Consistent work, crappy start times though. Second year, not quite as consistent. The third year, spent alot of time back in package car, and began dreading getting held out by feeders, since it was so inconsistent, and I realised how much I would hate working nights for the rest of my life. In our contract, after 3 years in feeders, if one does not have a bid run, they can go back to package car, without losing their route, or seniority. That is what I did. I got a CDL with triples endorsements out of it, and I missed out on 3 peak seasons in package car.

Triples endorsement? What state are you in? if you don't mind me asking?

lastoasis

I believe it's a doubles/triples endorsement like here in PA. I'm endorsed for triples even though they are not allowed in PA

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Oasis is right. Dbls/trpls are one endorsement for all class a cdl's. There are very few states that allow trpls. Ut and Nv are 2 of them.

yeldarb

Oasis is right. Dbls/trpls are one endorsement for all class a cdl's. There are very few states that allow trpls. Ut and Nv are 2 of them.

Arizona and Idaho do as well. Also, they have double 45's. Also, even though your license says doubles and triples, We have to be taken out for a day after having a cdl for 6 months, and they sign a paper we need to carry with us in our wallet which shows we have been triple trained.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Arizona and Idaho do as well. Also, they have double 45's. Also, even though your license says doubles and triples, We have to be taken out for a day after having a cdl for 6 months, and they sign a paper we need to carry with us in our wallet which shows we have been triple trained.
Az only allows trps on I-15 between Ut and Nv. That is why I didn't bother adding it.

xracer

Just looked at my license and I have a T for doubles and triples endorsement, that is on a NY license. It is not really a designation for being qualified for pulling doubles and triples as when I took my road test all I pulled was a single pup, no member of the DMV ever tested me for pulling doubles or triples other than the written test to be given the endorsement on my license.