feeder training

over9five

Staff member
Just looked at my license and I have a T for doubles and triples endorsement, that is on a NY license. It is not really a designation for being qualified for pulling doubles and triples as when I took my road test all I pulled was a single pup, no member of the DMV ever tested me for pulling doubles or triples other than the written test to be given the endorsement on my license.

That's how it works!

xracer

Was just making a point that just because you have the endorsement on the license that is does not necessarily mean that you are qualified to do it, authorization and qualification aren't the same thing. Not trying to start an argument.

over9five

Staff member
Was just making a point that just because you have the endorsement on the license that is does not necessarily mean that you are qualified to do it, authorization and qualification aren't the same thing. Not trying to start an argument.

I getcha. You are qualified by the DMV, but not by UPS.

over9five

Staff member
Actually just the opposite you are authorized by the DMV but qualified by UPS.

You're mincing words. You are qualified by the DMV to pull doubles by virtue of having passed their "written" test. It won't matter to a cop whether UPS has qualified you or not, you are legal (qualified) to pull doubles/triples.

I do understand your point.

gray squirrel

Just an update for those interested. I had to do a 40 hour ( non-productive) feeder training in Columbus, Ohio. My training supervisor was awesome!! It was a one on one training. He took me from never driving a feeder, to being very comfortable hooking up and driving doubles. I had to drive 144 miles round trip from my home to Columbus. I had to study for, pay for, and get my cdl permit. I now will schedule and pay for my cdl drivers license, which is $235. I can take it wherever I find available. UPS does not provide, or pay for a tractor or trailer to take the cdl test. I had to find a private testing facility that rents the tractor trailer combination. I will take my test this week. I then have to do one week of productive training with the training supervisor. If and when I pass my test, and one week productive training, UPS will pay me for the first week of non productive training. It was a long, hard week of training, but it will be worth it in the long run. I would do it all again to be able to drive feeders.

over9five

Staff member
Yeah, I did all that. And now I have a CDL and never leave the yard. I am very demoralized and will return to Package this bid.

NEFARIOUS

BOTTOM FEEDER
Man things sure are diffrent here .... I did my 40 hours non productive in Sacramento. Thats about two and a half hours from where I live. Ups paid my milage and paid for a hotel to stay at in Sac. Training was one on one and my trainer was awsome a really great guy. After that we did a week of productive tranning out of my own center. The following Monday I drove back to Sac and took my final DMV exam with a UPS tractor and trailer(UPS paid milage again). The only cost out of the whole thing for me was the $64.00 for the written test at the DMV. I had to pass that on my own before I started any trainning...All I can say is thanks UPS...:happy-very:

JonFrum

. . .UPS does not provide, or pay for a tractor or trailer to take the cdl test. I had to find a private testing facility that rents the tractor trailer combination. . .
Wouldn't this language apply???
ARTICLE 18. SAFETY AND HEALTH EQUIPMENT, ACCIDENTS AND REPORTS
Section 19. Qualification on Equipment
If the Employer or a government agency requests a regular employee to qualify on equipment requiring a classified or special license, or in the event an employee is required to qualify (recognizing seniority) on such equipment in order to obtain a better job opportunity with his/her Employer, the Employer shall allow such regular employee the use of the equipment so required in order to take the examination.

trickpony1

RE: post 27 and 30
Using unfamiliar equipment might put you at a dsadvantage when taking the road test. You will be nervous enough as it is without having to fumble around in a vehicle you have never seen, let alone driven.
I agree with JonFrum.Have a supervisor ride with you to the road test facility in a UPS tractor and 28 foot trailer for you to take the test. It's the right, and fair, thing to do.
Good Luck.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

In our building there is alot of guys going back to package car from feeders. Here, once one hits 3 years in feeders without a bid run, they can go back to their package car route.

Back to the same route or do they go back when the package car bid sheets goes up and they get to bid based on their seniority? If they go back to the same route without bidding what happens to the driver on that route?

Old International

Now driving a Sterling
Did 1 week classroom on my time then 1 week paid on road with a driver trainer. Had to drive to Atlanta(lived in Ga at the time,but worked in SC) for the test, was tested by UPS Feeder supe. He filled out a form, I went down to the local Ga MVL , paid 16.00, and I was a feeder driver.

over9five

Staff member
You are kidding about going back to package right?

Nope. I can't stand shifting. It is the most mind-numbingly boring job there is. Time just crawls...I so hate it, you just can't comprehend how much.
I came to Feeders to be a Feeder driver, not a shifter. People say to me, "Well it's better than Package". No, Package is better than this.

spif91

Just an update for those interested. I had to do a 40 hour ( non-productive) feeder training in Columbus, Ohio. My training supervisor was awesome!! It was a one on one training. He took me from never driving a feeder, to being very comfortable hooking up and driving doubles. I had to drive 144 miles round trip from my home to Columbus. I had to study for, pay for, and get my cdl permit. I now will schedule and pay for my cdl drivers license, which is $235. I can take it wherever I find available. UPS does not provide, or pay for a tractor or trailer to take the cdl test. I had to find a private testing facility that rents the tractor trailer combination. I will take my test this week. I then have to do one week of productive training with the training supervisor. If and when I pass my test, and one week productive training, UPS will pay me for the first week of non productive training. It was a long, hard week of training, but it will be worth it in the long run. I would do it all again to be able to drive feeders.

I rode with a sup in my tractor pulling a pup about 50 miles to a DMV to take my driving test. It is amazing how UPS operates so differently in many states. Can't understand why they don't furnish a tractor and pup in Ohio but did 6 years ago for me here. Glad to here ur going to enjoy it. Keep us updated. Good luck

trickpony1

Nope. I can't stand shifting. It is the most mind-numbingly boring job there is. Time just crawls...I so hate it, you just can't comprehend how much.
I came to Feeders to be a Feeder driver, not a shifter. People say to me, "Well it's better than Package". No, Package is better than this.

Get a FM/AM radio and put it on your dash. I know several people who have done this.
Don't go fast. slow and safe is a good pace.
No customers to deal with. No questions as to why you spent 1.5 minutes too long at a stop.
Off work during the day so you can actually get stuff done.

PLUS.........I think we are gonna see alot of people retire before this contract ends becasue they fear the unknown abyss of the new "last, best and final" offer of the new contract.

The grass isn't always greener on the other side of the fence.

yeldarb

Back to the same route or do they go back when the package car bid sheets goes up and they get to bid based on their seniority? If they go back to the same route without bidding what happens to the driver on that route?

You go back to your same route, as if you never left. They never put the route up for bid, so it is a coverage driver.