Few questions, just got hired as package handler. On topic pls

Star B

White Lightening
Yep, and @UpstateNYUPSer doesn't even work for FedEx... wait for the ground guys to chime in.

For my station... everyone gets a locker, but I'm in some backwater station where the security guard is billy bob with a shotgun and a wheat stalk in his mouth (this time of year)

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Yep, and @UpstateNYUPSer doesn't even work for FedEx... wait for the ground guys to chime in.

For my station... everyone gets a locker, but I'm in some backwater station where the security guard is billy bob with a shotgun and a wheat stalk in his mouth (this time of year)
That’s funny. I’m outside a major city and we don’t have security except at the ramps. Everyone gets a locker at my station also if they want one.

bacha29

My shift is 5pm - 10pm & orientation is at 9am.
I think I’m in a hub, it’s a very big location.
Relax kid, Keep this up and you'll be calling off sick with a bleeding ulcer before you even start your first shift. Bu based on the information you've disclosed it sounds like you're at a facility that is part local pickup and delivery terminal and mini hub that sorts boxes for the NY/NJ area and judging by the hours you stated it sounds like you'll be working outbound on the P&D side. The thing to be on the lookout for is some very large crates which can go up to as high as 150# When you get them get somebody to help you. If you don't and you rip your jewels off trying to move it the first thing you'll be called onto the carpet for is not getting help.

vantexan

Ok, so is there a number that they go by for new hires to assess whether or not to keep em?
I think you're worrying too much. You'll be working with others, it's fast paced, but you won't be expected to do the impossible. And if you're physically fit already it won't be a problem, if not you'll toughen up. Relax and try not to over think it.

Yan Zach

Relax kid, Keep this up and you'll be calling off sick with a bleeding ulcer before you even start your first shift. Bu based on the information you've disclosed it sounds like you're at a facility that is part local pickup and delivery terminal and mini hub that sorts boxes for the NY/NJ area and judging by the hours you stated it sounds like you'll be working outbound on the P&D side. The thing to be on the lookout for is some very large crates which can go up to as high as 150# When you get them get somebody to help you. If you don't and you rip your jewels off trying to move it the first thing you'll be called onto the carpet for is not getting help.

Ok is there anything written on the boxes that let u know it’s very heavy? Also If I become a loader are the boxes near the truck it’s supposed to be loaded on? Are we supposed to just scan and load the truck? Or are we supposed to find the boxes that belong on the right truck? Is scanning easy to learn?

Yan Zach

I think you're worrying too much. You'll be working with others, it's fast paced, but you won't be expected to do the impossible. And if you're physically fit already it won't be a problem, if not you'll toughen up. Relax and try not to over think it.
Okay, hey Do you know the average package handlers make a week?

It will be fine

They got rid of the counters for unload that would show your pph so you won't even know your speed. If you're loading trailers you'll be pushed to get done on time to make the hot cuts, but specific numbers won't be an issue if you get it done consistently.

Some stations have lockers. No phones allowed for package handlers. You're best off bringing just keys and a water bottle. The whole place is covered in cameras but you still don't want anything valuable laying around.

You'll get around 3.5hrs/day. If you hustle and are good you can ask your manager for more hours. I used to start 15 mins early to prep the belt when I was a handler.

Like the old union saying goes, "show up sober and they make you foremen."

vantexan

Ok is there anything written on the boxes that let u know it’s very heavy? Also If I become a loader are the boxes near the truck it’s supposed to be loaded on? Are we supposed to just scan and load the truck? Or are we supposed to find the boxes that belong on the right truck? Is scanning easy to learn?
Everything has already been engineered to achieve maximum efficiency. You won't be put into a position to fail, just be expected to work. There's a maximum boxes can weigh, and over 70 lbs you're expected to get help. It's not always clear that a box is overweight, but you'll quickly learn by just handling the freight. Scanning is a breeze. It's not rocket science, relax.

vantexan

Okay, hey Do you know the average package handlers make a week?
No, sorry, haven't been a handler in 30 years. Did they tell you your hourly pay? You'll most likely work between 17.5 hrs and 20 as part-time. Figure for taxes. You can get a rough estimate from there.

bacha29

Just keep an eye out for the truck bumpers. backhoe buckets, air compressors, steam jenny's etc. You'll spot that heavy stuff quickly. Now you know those things that are attached to each one of your shoulders? That's your Mexican Towmotor. Now at the beginning your's may not work as good as you'd like but it will in time ,scanning will become second nature and soon your days will become routine and uneventful. Just remember one thing, The dumber you act...the less they expect from you.

dudebro

Stop and think for a second as to how many boxes you would have to handle per minute to attain a 1000 PPH goal.

Ain't gonna happen.
1000 pph is completely unrealistic.
1000 pph is common in the unload. If they told him that rate it means he is in the unload. it's a package every three and a half seconds. Don't worry about that rate, just look at all the mutants doing it now.