Few questions, just got hired as package handler. On topic pls

Yan Zach

Why do they keep switching you around from loading, unloading, van lines. Do they do this if you’re calling out, or working too slow or doing a good job. Or is it just standard ?

BootsOnTarmac

You are at the mercy of the Lead or Supervisor that assigns your work assignment. You are a handler, and as long as you are working within your JOB DESCRIPTION, suck it up. If you are calling out, working too slow or even doing a good job, feel lucky you are moved around instead of doing the same thing for weeks or months.

Have you been "calling out"?

As a handler you only have 3 choices, move up, remain, or move out.

What do you want?

Yan Zach

You are at the mercy of the Lead or Supervisor that assigns your work assignment. You are a handler, and as long as you are working within your JOB DESCRIPTION, suck it up. If you are calling out, working too slow or even doing a good job, feel lucky you are moved around instead of doing the same thing for weeks or months.

Have you been "calling out"?

As a handler you only have 3 choices, move up, remain, or move out.

What do you want?
I haven’t been calling out, I’ve been moved to van lines which is supposed to be easier. But I am being constantly yelled at to move faster. when I was unloading and then loading it was more of a team thing. Now I’m being singled out, kinda sucks. I think they put me there cause the other guy called out & now he’s moved to a different place. That’s why I asked if attendance plays a part in where they switch u to. Cause I haven’t called out yet

bacha29

Why do they keep switching you around from loading, unloading, van lines. Do they do this if you’re calling out, or working too slow or doing a good job. Or is it just standard ?
It's called turnover. They put you where they need you at that given moment. No matter what sort line you're on you can be certain of one thing. You'll always be at least a couple of guys short on a daily basis. if you're there on time and on a continuous daily basis and can keep up with the pace they'll notice it and you'll always be in good standing. At the same time don't allow them to get overly dependent on you to the point where they begin to expect you to do your work as well as the work of the two guys beside you who never showed up that day.

BootsOnTarmac

Good for you for not calling out. If you are being "constantly yelled at to move faster" you really need to look for another job. Being yelled at is a form of worker abuse and may be reason for you to file a complaint. Ask them how you can meet their expectations without being yelled at. Maybe you just need to find another job at FedEx or move on.

Yan Zach

Good for you for not calling out. If you are being "constantly yelled at to move faster" you really need to look for another job. Being yelled at is a form of worker abuse and may be reason for you to file a complaint. Ask them how you can meet their expectations without being yelled at. Maybe you just need to find another job at FedEx or move on.
It’s not that big of a deal to quit. I was just wondering when will they switch me again? When I call out? Loading sucks, but at least we weren’t being pressed every 30 mins to go faster.

BootsOnTarmac

I just talked to your immediate supervisor. You will be switched on or before or maybe after Wednesday November 8th 2017. This decision will be based upon many variables unknown to you: Yan Zach, Ground Handler. Carry on and good day Sir!

It will be fine

It’s not that big of a deal to quit. I was just wondering when will they switch me again? When I call out? Loading sucks, but at least we weren’t being pressed every 30 mins to go faster.
They move people around all the time. In general, managers don't send their best when another area needs help. They keep their rock stars on their line and send the slack to help someone else. Managers need their numbers to look good so if you're being moved a lot it's not a good reflection on your capability.

Yan Zach

They move people around all the time. In general, managers don't send their best when another area needs help. They keep their rock stars on their line and send the slack to help someone else. Managers need their numbers to look good so if you're being moved a lot it's not a good reflection on your capability.
Never thought of myself as the best so that didn’t break my heart. I’m just trying to leave where I’m at now.

bacha29

Never thought of myself as the best so that didn’t break my heart. I’m just trying to leave where I’m at now.
Being moved from one gulag to another is common everyday Fedex. Chances are when you were walking into the place on your first day you walked past the guy you're replacing who had just quit.The time has come kid to figure out where you want to be 5 years from now and it sure as hell ain't where you are now.

From a Ground guy;
You will do whatever they tell you to do, unload, load, split, load IC's..
Also you will make a lot of money if you put in the hours
I know handlers working 50 hours a week pulling in a little over 40k..
During peak you make even more and can work even more, could work a hundred hours a week if you want.
The only thing keeping you from making the most money is yourself..
Also you probably work for a station if you are loading van lines, not a hub..
Although I am confused because van lines get unloaded 5-10 not loaded...
But okay...

At a station you have less hours, but if it is inside a hub you can work as much as you want.

You will make less though since you are a day guy, night guys make a buck more.

Also as long as you show up everyday on time, give it a 100, and work hard, you will keep your job..

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
AF44A0FD-9FC3-4DCE-B832-BB083219C57A.gif

Yan Zach

From a Ground guy;
You will do whatever they tell you to do, unload, load, split, load IC's..
Also you will make a lot of money if you put in the hours
I know handlers working 50 hours a week pulling in a little over 40k..
During peak you make even more and can work even more, could work a hundred hours a week if you want.
The only thing keeping you from making the most money is yourself..
Also you probably work for a station if you are loading van lines, not a hub..
Although I am confused because van lines get unloaded 5-10 not loaded...
But okay...

At a station you have less hours, but if it is inside a hub you can work as much as you want.

You will make less though since you are a day guy, night guys make a buck more.

Also as long as you show up everyday on time, give it a 100, and work hard, you will keep your job..
I never said I loaded at vanlines I said loading sucks but at least I wasn’t constantly being told to go faster like I am at van lines. Hey question for you, peak season is from after Black Friday til January right? Is the volume high all of December or does it get after like mid December ?

I never said I loaded at vanlines I said loading sucks but at least I wasn’t constantly being told to go faster like I am at van lines. Hey question for you, peak season is from after Black Friday til January right? Is the volume high all of December or does it get after like mid December ?
Peak season has started already, the busiest day usually is after thanksgiving
That is when they will start making people work Sundays (around the end of November)