Final Post - I Quit

ryman1566

As a Local Sort Employee for 5 years, I am having the same thoughts about quitting and getting back to a life where I don't feel like a hostage. When I was first hired it was strictly as a second income to my family. About 6 months in I got the 'I'm gonna drive' bug. Being that I work at a small center of 30 drivers, getting in is a process that takes time. During this time I have now seen the true side of management and how they treat us such as cutting jobs, (our local sort currently runs with 3 union employees) and downright degrading the people who work there (this is the best place you'll ever work, you think any other company would treat you guys this good, blah, blah, blah) So now the fever is going away, and between working until 10-10:30 every night after an 8 hour day job, my thoughts are with the original poster. There may be life afterwards after all.....

I think you may be right about moving on...In July UPS reported its sixth consecutive qtr of lower pkg volume. This decline was 4.6% over the same qtr last yr. Bottom line....no driving jobs available for quite a while.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
waiting for a full time job sucks but i did it i waited 3 years for a spot.my wife had a decent job and it was tough but i knew it would pay off in the end.but it is harder now than it was then that was almost 11 years ago when i started part time at the same starting pay now.with only 20 hrs for sure coming you are looking at about 120-150 dollars take home you cant live on that,and im tired of all that student crap too i dont know about where everyone else works but here not too many students most look like they just got out of county lockup last night.i really dont understand the whole part time system ups wonders why they cant get quailty workers these people dont care about 120 bucks a week.seems like to me the company would benifit from making the whole place full time jobs or at least a big part of it.but right now the attitude is treat your part time job like its your full time job break your back for us for 120 bucks a week and maybe in 3 or 4 years if you can survive that long on this pay you will get a driving job.a higher starting pay and full time jobs would attract a different type of person not the thieves thugs and trash we have in here now,but maybe ups likes it that way?
Careful, some of us driver's were the Thieves, Thugs and Trash that you're talking about. I think it was how we evolved over our "wait" period that helped us to become "better people".

As a Local Sort Employee for 5 years, I am having the same thoughts about quitting and getting back to a life where I don't feel like a hostage. When I was first hired it was strictly as a second income to my family. About 6 months in I got the 'I'm gonna drive' bug. Being that I work at a small center of 30 drivers, getting in is a process that takes time. During this time I have now seen the true side of management and how they treat us such as cutting jobs, (our local sort currently runs with 3 union employees) and downright degrading the people who work there (this is the best place you'll ever work, you think any other company would treat you guys this good, blah, blah, blah) So now the fever is going away, and between working until 10-10:30 every night after an 8 hour day job, my thoughts are with the original poster. There may be life afterwards after all.....
I think you may have a dual problem. MGMT is a problem, but maybe you've lost the hunger that you originally had for this job. Either way, the decision has always been up to you to stay or move on. Whatever you choose, don't do it out of bitterness, but with thought about how it will affect your family and your life. Good Luck!!!

Bad Gas!

Misery loves company if you have second thoughts and want to wait a couple more years and then be abused by your dispatcher...by then, it will only be worse...Most drivers take it one day at a time and say "wow"..."look at my wonderful dispatch numbers today"......It's pure madness, I say, driving for brown!

Re-Raise

since he's gone, and not answering any questions, BBAGs tale certainly was interesting.

BBAG went from PT on the local sort, saying "I will be a full-time driver in no time". Most of us chuckled and tried to give him wise words of advice. That #1 it wasn't a permanent position, that #2 buying mgnt coffee and donuts and sucking :censored2: would not be appropriate and #3 to relax on the bragging and egotism.

BBAG eventually did begin cover driving, as a casual seasonal driver. He likely covered vacations, did misc routes and duties. He bragged and bragged " Yes, see I did become a driver in less than a year, it CAN be done!, har har"

The problem was, he would never make book as a FT driver and all he was doing was setting himself up for disaster. Running lunches, trying to suck up (coffee and donuts), would go nowhere with the company and union. Just like all of us, we all had to wait our turn.

Now with this latest termination for driving on a suspended fiasco, and other issues that have come up, it's basically time for him to hang it up (which I told him months ago). Unless of course he wanted to work the local sort, or try again as a part-time casual cover driver and TRULY wait his turn ;which of course is something he never considered doing to begin with.

So moral to the story ; if you are a union new hire just chomping at the bit to go driving, you MAY go driving. BUT chances are extremely low to nil that a new hire will see the money or make seniority sooner than at least several years of part-time slavery. So get in line and earn those stripes. :biting:
I forgot that But Benefits Are Great changed his name to Living the Dream. BrownJake reminded me so much of him I decided to look some old threads

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Well, I only lasted just shy of two years....

I've not driven since Christmas Eve, except for Saturday air. 3-4 hours a night doing local sort, making nothing. Hearing "just hang in there, you'll be making the big bucks soon" for a year. Between that and "the benefits, though, are great" I am SO tired of hearing.

The carrot & stick routine has become worn out. The dream is dead.

Wife & I spoke about this, and I realized that, if offered a full time driving position tomorrow w/UPS, taking me off the pre-load, I would not take it. Without exception, the drivers in our center are miserable. There is no management, just order takers from above.

I purchased a 34,000lb 24ft Box Truck (Freightliner) a month ago, and put a small add in the paper for local deliveries.

I have worked a full day, every day, ever since. And don't need a diad or the ritual BS. And have money to pay bills. And I'm happy.

I've seen posts where people bitch & moan before, where they quit, and the response usually is "well, some people can't hack it". Hack what? I was being paid peanuts to unload boxes for 3-4 hours a night, and to be on call the rest of the time for free. What crap. I've heard that some people can "hack" water-boarding torture, too, but why would you want to?

Feels good to be getting back to the real world.

Thanks to you all for your past help. I'll pray for you all.

Michael
29x1da.gif

N

Nothing by 1030 anymore

Well, I only lasted just shy of two years....

I've not driven since Christmas Eve, except for Saturday air. 3-4 hours a night doing local sort, making nothing. Hearing "just hang in there, you'll be making the big bucks soon" for a year. Between that and "the benefits, though, are great" I am SO tired of hearing.

The carrot & stick routine has become worn out. The dream is dead.

Wife & I spoke about this, and I realized that, if offered a full time driving position tomorrow w/UPS, taking me off the pre-load, I would not take it. Without exception, the drivers in our center are miserable. There is no management, just order takers from above.

I purchased a 34,000lb 24ft Box Truck (Freightliner) a month ago, and put a small add in the paper for local deliveries.

I have worked a full day, every day, ever since. And don't need a diad or the ritual BS. And have money to pay bills. And I'm happy.

I've seen posts where people bitch & moan before, where they quit, and the response usually is "well, some people can't hack it". Hack what? I was being paid peanuts to unload boxes for 3-4 hours a night, and to be on call the rest of the time for free. What crap. I've heard that some people can "hack" water-boarding torture, too, but why would you want to?

Feels good to be getting back to the real world.

Thanks to you all for your past help. I'll pray for you all.

Michael
I congratulate anyone that leaves ups...you will have a happier life.