FIRE! HOT!

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
It's a hot load.... better get it on the door.

30741483_1781150765261591_650759035074641920_n.jpg

TheMachine

Are you sure you want to punch out?
Did the company provide any sort of comprehensive fire fighting training ?

Great thing about fire extinguishers is they are made to use without training. I’m not saying he had to use it, the intial comment was asking was he was in the engine compartment so it’s a possibility he was.

I’m a firefighter and there’s nothing wrong with using the extinguisher to try and knock down a minor issue with it if you can, which is why I said depends what stage the fire is in. Could save the vehicle and it’s contents and all you did was pull the pin, point and shoot. All that’s important is your constantly aware of changing conditions and don’t be a hero. If it’s not doing anything leave it and get away.

Anything more than it being a small fire there’s no debate, leave the vehicle and move as far away as possible before calling 911.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Great thing about fire extinguishers is they are made to use without training. I’m not saying he had to use it, the intial comment was asking was he was in the engine compartment so it’s a possibility he was.

I’m a firefighter and there’s nothing wrong with using the extinguisher to try and knock down a minor issue with it if you can, which is why I said depends what stage the fire is in. Could save the vehicle and it’s contents and all you did was pull the pin, point and shoot. All that’s important is your constantly aware of changing conditions and don’t be a hero. If it’s not doing anything leave it and get away.

Anything more than it being a small fire there’s no debate, leave the vehicle and move as far away as possible before calling 911.

...but it has to be the right kind of extinguisher....

The 9 Types of Fire Extinguishers and How To Use Them - Fireline

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt

Drivers are not trained to be heroes. (or paid)

Is saving a box of printer paper, or a case of Gatorade.... worth it ?

-Bug-

rod

Retired 22 years
I offended wondered if those old extinguishers in those25-30 year old P-600 and 800’s would even work

TheMachine

Are you sure you want to punch out?

rod

Retired 22 years
Aren’t they supposed to be checked regularly?

All I remember is once in 30 years they told us to give them a good shaking before we left the building. They had a little gauge on them that showed good or bad but who knows if that worked. I'm sure UPS got them on low bid. The one time I had a fire mine worked but it didn't do much good because it was an electrical fire and those don't stop until a wire has burned all the way through.