Fired but still recieving pay

clean hairy

Third contact an employment attorney, I'm sure a consultation would be free.
Also send a certified letter signature required (by said manager, to inconveinence the hell out of him). State in the letter the dates and times you have tried to contact him and he's hung up on you after stating, "You don't work here anymore."
On the bottom of the letter put CC: The Law firm of Dewey, Srewem, and Howe
Just to update, Screwem left the Law Firm, new guy took his place.
Now it is Dewey, Cheatem, and Howe.
On the seroius side, they now know who you are, all they have to do is see who they fired at the end of Jan, that narrows it down real quick!
Next, say you have been gone 10 weeks and your check is for say $1,000 gross each week, but you take home $750 per week, you owe them the gross amount (10g's) not the net amount of $7,500.
If you left on less than good terms, they could send it to a Collection Agency, then your credit is screwed showing an unpaid debt to your previous Employer in the amount of several thousand $$
I would get to HR IMMEDIATLY and find a means to get ahold of Payroll to resolve this ASAP!

brown bomber

brown bomber
just remembered another accounting screw up,..I left UPS in 2009 on disability, cashed out all of my vacation the following year,..officially retired in 2011. In 2012 I received a vacation week check ??
any explanation. Maybe I should let Dave address this issue

bluehdmc

Just to update, Screwem left the Law Firm, new guy took his place.
Now it is Dewey, Cheatem, and Howe.
On the seroius side, they now know who you are, all they have to do is see who they fired at the end of Jan, that narrows it down real quick!
Next, say you have been gone 10 weeks and your check is for say $1,000 gross each week, but you take home $750 per week, you owe them the gross amount (10g's) not the net amount of $7,500.
If you left on less than good terms, they could send it to a Collection Agency, then your credit is screwed showing an unpaid debt to your previous Employer in the amount of several thousand $$
I would get to HR IMMEDIATLY and find a means to get ahold of Payroll to resolve this ASAP!

I would think it would be the companies responsibility to get the monies back from the IRS, FICA, etc. I know any accidental overpayments by the company to UI they have to get back, which reminds me of something I have to take care of.

The company overpaid my UI, if you 2 or more employers in NJ the state refunds you overpayment to UI, the form for filing for an overpayment states if you only had 1 employer the employer has to give it back. UPS took out too much from my pay last year. It's not a large amount but I think what they did was in the last week it was taken out, they just took the usual percentage even though that exceeded the yearly amount. Then the next week it stopped.

As I said it wasn't a large amount but if they did this to all or a sizable number of the FT employees in NJ it could add up to quite a chunk of change.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Full time supervisor, how much per year?

Did you sign anything terminating employment? If not, I see it as a no show job. I always wanted one of those!

Johney

You guys are funny. When UPS sees the error they will come after their money. I don't care how many days have passed they will get it. If anything they could almost say you were stealing. I mean technically you are getting paid and doing nothing for it.
No they won't,you can not take what is not there
If they try to recover the overpayment and the person refuses to pay it back, they will remove it from the W-2 earnings and issue a 1099 for the overpaid amount. That's about the extent of it...you end up paying the employer portion of the FICA taxes.
Yes, and a whole lot less than what they overpaid you.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Send your supervisor and email with a irrelevant subject in hopes it gets deleted.

Per the master... When an employee notifies the Employer in writing of any ongoing overpayment, the employee’s increasing liability will cease five (5) working days after the date of the written notification. The notifIcation shall be provided to the employee’s immediate supervisor or manager.

In the meantime, move the money into a different account to prevent them from taking it back.
The OP was NOT a union employee.....

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
No they won't,you can not take what is not there.
Remember that this is UPS we are talking about.

If the OP owed UPS $5, they would not hesitate to spend $10,000 in legal fees in order to get it back.

He should set the money aside so that when they call about it he can pay them back. In loose pennies.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Remember that this is UPS we are talking about.

If the OP owed UPS $5, they would not hesitate to spend $10,000 in legal fees in order to get it back.

He should set the money aside so that when they call about it he can pay them back. In loose pennies.
I agree with Sober...UPS can afford to take legal action to get that money back....and I have no doubt that they will if you spend it.

Last edited:

BrownThunder

if it was me, I'd contact HR and avoid the eventual phone call stating "you owe us $X"

I wouldn't even be able to enjoy the money or have peace of mind with that possibility hanging over my head.

thessalonian13

I am a former FT Sup (salaried) and I was fired at the end of January due to "restructuring" AKA politics. They are still sending me a check through direct deposit even though I don't work there. When I log in to view my pay stub, it's still taxed the same and everything is still active. This is not severance pay........What should I do?

Sincerely,

Clueless
Let it build up, then cash it out and close out the account. That way they won't be able to deposit any more money and they might not notice. You can consider it a severance package/golden parachute. LOL

Johney

And you have proof of this? Will they try to get it back? Sure they will send a letter, they may even try and get the bank to refund it, but if it's closed or account number was changed it isn't happening. Spend $10,000 to get $5 back? Not a chance.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
And you have proof of this? Will they try to get it back? Sure they will send a letter, they may even try and get the bank to refund it, but if it's closed or account number was changed it isn't happening. Spend $10,000 to get $5 back? Not a chance.

Remember that we are talking about UPS management. If you are a UPS manager, it is perfectly acceptable to spend $10,000 in order to save $5....as long as the $5 shows up on your report and the $10,000 shows up on someone elses. Want proof? Just look at the average preload/on road operation, where drivers making $50 an hour on OT and burning $3-a-gallon fuel spend several hours a week chasing off misloads because some PT sup was screaming at his $12-per-hour preloaders to "hurry up and get off of the clock."