Fired for "stealing time"

Work safe or not at all.

You are wrong. You are protecting a thief and claiming that they are not responsible for their own actions.

We are adults , not children. If you want a job where you can sleep on the clock, get to searching because you came to the wrong place.

"you came to the wrong place"

I've been telling myself this exact thing for 27 years......

If I sit on a load stand in the middle of the building, on the clock, while a supervisor stands 20 feet away, saying nothing, not instructing me to anything, just watching me sit, can he fire me for stealing time?

Do you have prior knowledge that while on the clock you should be working? Do they need tell you at punch in every day?

If they came by and told you to get to work each time they passed would you consider it harassment?

No is probably the answer to both but yet you seem to feel the need to be told everything.

ManInBrown

cf-dafuq.gif

my reaction while reading Post#1

LOL. I'm not following the story. Let me see if I understand this correctly. So you ran around in the morning. Prerecorded a bunch of stops. And then extended your lunch 30 minutes. And during the 30 minutes you sat there and sheeted the prerecorded stops? You can't make it up. LOL. And you thought you could get away with this? It never ceases to amaze me how people will screw up a 90K a year job slinging cardboard. You do know that little red bullseye you see on the DIAD when you hit stop complete is a GPS showing where you are.

Work safe or not at all.

Do you have prior knowledge that while on the clock you should be working? Do they need tell you at punch in every day?

If they came by and told you to get to work each time they passed would you consider it harassment?

No is probably the answer to both but yet you seem to feel the need to be told everything.

"If they came by and told you to get to work each time they passed would you consider it harassment?"

Nope, that's their job. I have no problem with a supervisor supervising. I do have a problem with a supervisor not supervising, and instead working on strengthening a termination case. There would be no termination case to strengthen if they did their job.

beentheredonethat

If I sit on a load stand in the middle of the building, on the clock, while a supervisor stands 20 feet away, saying nothing, not instructing me to anything, just watching me sit, can he fire me for stealing time?

We all know (well maybe not the driver who got fired) all the ways that UPS can oberve what the driver does electronically. However the Mgmt team can't use that as sole proof to show "stealing time". Therefore the manager\on road supervisor go out to physically observe. Mgmt has to observe the entire lunch plus the extra 1/2 hour for proof that the person did steal time. Have that documented to show we have an employee is stealing time.

Per what already exists (can't use technology) and your reasoning that the mgr just sat and watched him steal time. That shouldn't be allowed, he should walk up to him and instruct him to work. If that is true, no one can ever be fired for stealing time. When no one can be fired, then many will decide to do the same.

Tell you what, why don't you just do what you said and sit on a load stand for a while when you are on the clock and see how well that logic holds up on your termination?

If a driver isn't working he IS stealing time from everybody in the company. If he doesn't work his hourly position he is taking money out of your pocket, plain and simple. The company should be on this like flies on sh(I)t. More employees should be hired to fill his position so that OUR company would be that much stronger, not to mention more money in the company's pockets from profitable on time deliveries.

Just a slight change to show the other side of the coin.

Work safe or not at all.

We all know (well maybe not the driver who got fired) all the ways that UPS can oberve what the driver does electronically. However the Mgmt team can't use that as sole proof to show "stealing time". Therefore the manager\on road supervisor go out to physically observe. Mgmt has to observe the entire lunch plus the extra 1/2 hour for proof that the person did steal time. Have that documented to show we have an employee is stealing time.

Per what already exists (can't use technology) and your reasoning that the mgr just sat and watched him steal time. That shouldn't be allowed, he should walk up to him and instruct him to work. If that is true, no one can ever be fired for stealing time. When no one can be fired, then many will decide to do the same.

Tell you what, why don't you just do what you said and sit on a load stand for a while when you are on the clock and see how well that logic holds up on your termination?

I go in at 10. Sounds like a plan. Now, more than likely a sup is gonna walk up and ask me to go do something, if he asks nicely, and they always do, I've got no problem helping him out. I'll let you know how it goes.

beentheredonethat

Is that the new rule, you only work as directed if they ask nicely?
And if they don't then you can sit there and not work and tell the panel they weren't nice? Go ahead, See what happens.

Work safe or not at all.

Is that the new rule, you only work as directed if they ask nicely?
And if they don't then you can sit there and not work and tell the panel they weren't nice? Go ahead, See what happens.

They don't fire people here for that stuff. It will never get to a panel. They see someone "stealing time" and they just go tell them to do something. It is such a pain in the ass to fire someone, plus they're not good at it.

Jim Rockford

Working for years on the ramp...and being an on-call dispatch driver...this notion of "stealing company time" being some legitimate form of theft is kinda comical to me.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Working for years on the ramp...and being an on-call dispatch driver...this notion of "stealing company time" being some legitimate form of theft is kinda comical to me.

When a guy admits he wanted an extra 30 minute lunch and improperly sheeted and delivered packages, stealing company time is the least of his problems.

Last edited:

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
This is just wrong. If more people thought like this then there would be no need for a union.

If a supe is working he IS stealing time from everybody in the union. If he works an hourly position he is taking money out of your pocket, plain and simple. The union should be on this like flies on sh(I)t. More employees should be hired to fill the position so that OUR union would be that much stronger, not to mention more money in the union's pockets from dues.

You (UpState) should just put your letter in for management. You're just as bad as a scab.
We can't tell them how to run their company.

Straight from a BA's mouth.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
"If they came by and told you to get to work each time they passed would you consider it harassment?"

Nope, that's their job. I have no problem with a supervisor supervising. I do have a problem with a supervisor not supervising, and instead working on strengthening a termination case. There would be no termination case to strengthen if they did their job.
Sometimes culling the herd is good management.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
I was just recently called into office and and told that i think I am a bad ass. Standing up for yourself or enforcing the contract should not be a "badass" it should be every teamster member.

Sitting on a load stand and waiting to be "supervised" is a bad ass, that's not standing up for yourself or the contract.

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
Sitting on a load stand and waiting to be "supervised" is a bad ass, that's not standing up for yourself or the contract.
Depends. Many , many , many years ago if I saw a supervisor working I would stop working immediately and wait till the sup finished working till I started to work again. I guess I was

Coldworld

60 months and counting
The termination was justified.
Only if he was doing it on purpose....The delivery button and the pre record button on the diad are very close together....As are all of the buttons on the keypad..it is very easy to accidently push prerecord at a stop...especially with gloves on. So when you are a few stops away and realize what happen you should be able to then release it without fear of being fired..what are you going to do drive back to the stop and release the phantom pkg at the door...then they try to get you for excessive miles..you honestly can't win.