Fired for stolen Uhaul

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
The only reason the driver left the keys in the truck was it was still running and he did it because it was more convenient and he new that he couldn't get in trouble with telemactics. He didn't turn the truck off and just leave the keys in it people who have to turn the ignition off automatically take the keys with them.

Your theory about to FOB is also BS even with never personal vehicle having a similar FOB most people personal vehicle still uses some sort of key and or have had to use a key to start a car in the past.

So you are a mind reader now?

The driver made a mistake. It was not a terminable offense per the contract and he will be back to work, probably by tomorrow morning.

upssouth

Unless there are specific methods for delivering out of a uhaul then it should be easy for the business agent. It is not a methods violation if there are no methods.

rod

Retired 22 years
My keys were left in the ignition from 1971 until 2001. Unless I was on lunch break. Then again if it was winter and it was a brutally cold day then my keys were left in the ignition and the truck was running even if I was at lunch. I did try to sit where I could keep an eye on it. All in all its amazing I survived not being fired "permanently" during my 30 years. I delivered to a little "Mayberry" type of town for 25 years. Having ones vehicle stolen was not on the "to worry about" list. Every time I got ridden with one of the first things they would chew me out about was leaving the key in the ignition-----that and get a haircut.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

But it doesn't have keyless ignition, a bulkhead door, a hand rail, 4 shelves in the back, a rear view monitor, or any of the other features of a package car for which UPS has defined methods of use.

What is one of the first things that we are taught as new drivers? Take the keys with you.

I agree he will be back tomorrow morning.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
What is one of the first things that we are taught as new drivers? Take the keys with you.

I agree he will be back tomorrow morning.
New drivers have never had to be taught that, because the key fob stays attached to their belt all day.

A driver who has become accustomed thru repetition to using keyless ignition in a package car could very well have an honest "brain fart" and wind up leaving keys in the ignition of a rental, as I have done more than once with my personal vehicle.

I'm so use to that darn key fob ill walk out of Krogers pushing my unlock button for my durango as i'm walking up to it keep pushing it like my door is going to pop open.... :biting:

Foamer Pyle

This driver isn't getting his job back for a while if he does. Also this isn't just a little "failure to follow" infraction. What if the person that stole that vehicle go into a accident and someone got severely hurt or even killed. UPS would be on the hook for millions of dollars.

This driver will be made and example of. People that don't follow the rules usually don't get caught the first time so they keep doing it over and over because of it. Also the excuse that he hasn't had to take the keys with him in a while become of the new keyless system is BS.
I think you are full of Poop! You can what if all the way through life. Also, I totally agree with not having to use a key would change your work habits. I have gone from manual to automatic, as stated by someone else in this post, and pushed my left foot in half the day, after getting my automatic back. I don't think he has a thing to worry about.

PT Car Washer

I think you are full of Poop! You can what if all the way through life. Also, I totally agree with not having to use a key would change your work habits. I have gone from manual to automatic, as stated by someone else in this post, and pushed my left foot in half the day, after getting my automatic back. I don't think he has a thing to worry about.
We already know the driver will be back Monday. I disagree that the driver had nothing to worry about. Leaving your truck running and unsecured while making a delivery could be considered gross negligence. Lucky it turned out this well for him.