FIREWORKS in the Southwest over Andy Ms "carve-out!"

10 Pt

People were told that if they kept voting no they could stay in the company plan. It prolonged coverage but Teamcare was inevitable because Fred Z and Tim S did not get an MOU.
The funny part about that is.... Teamcare has been financially sound.

Opponents try and claim, they "needed" to be infused with new plan participants.

BS.

-Bug-
That's not why many members voted No. The plan was restrictive and more costly to a lot of members than what many had.
Plus Hoffa told the President that it was unsustainable at that time.
The C6 plan was hugely dimished compared to what we had for so many years and the company was netting at least 4 times what it was twenty years ago.
We didn't believe that consistantly voting No would keep us in the company plan but the plan got enhanced after it was voted down the first time.
Who was negotiating with whom? It looked like trust played a pivotal part of the problem.
An informative post, by a true Teamster member.
-Bug-
I'm glad to see that the prevailing attitude of who is a "true Teamster" is still alive and well and selectively dispensed on here and elsewhere.

Inthegame

Then why are unprecedented annual deductibles necessary?
In a nutshell...
Deductibles and co-pays force us to be smarter medical consumers and help to maintain a healthy fund reserve.
TeamCare has 22 months of reserve today (Y/E 2016) and had 22 months of reserve before the UPS conversion, however monthly claims paid out have risen over 16%. Without some brakes on claims, the reserve would be declining. Thoughtful trustees had the good sense to initiate a very modest deductible, after being convinced by studies that show more responsible health care consumption from plans with deductibles (in most plans, much higher).
This reserve then can be invested for another source of funding for the plan, and 2016 had decent ROI numbers.
TeamCare has been fortunate to lessen the biggest impediment plans are facing as they've kept the RX cost increases modest as their pool has increased, allowing higher discount rates.

rama'nfeeders

Th
Local 89 retirees pay the amount that was IMPOSED on them in the last contract by Hoffa and hall.
That local voted in impressive and historic numbers to try and effectuate a different result, only to have the rug pulled out from under them and autonomy thrown to the wayside.
Fred Z played no role in the failing Central States Pension, but the same can't be said about Hoffa and hall.

As for Local 804, I'm pretty sure that both their H&W and pension funds strengthened under Tim S and that Eboard?

Wonder why some locals and regions were permitted to negotiate "carve outs", while rest of us were force fed turd burgers?
The reason for everybody except The West Coast and Local 177 in NJ had the gumption to tell Hall that they wanted to go out and find there own Health care insurance. We wanted more Locals to jump on board, but no one wanted that's why we have our own heath care and btw it's a great policy that we have I use it all the time never had a problem.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
In a nutshell...

TeamCare has 22 months of reserve today (Y/E 2016) and had 22 months of reserve before the UPS conversion, however monthly claims paid out have risen over 16%. Without some brakes on claims, the reserve would be declining. Thoughtful trustees had the good sense to initiate a very modest deductible, after being convinced by studies that show more responsible health care consumption from plans with deductibles (in most plans, much higher).
This reserve then can be invested for another source of funding for the plan, and 2016 had decent ROI numbers.
TeamCare has been fortunate to lessen the biggest impediment plans are facing as they've kept the RX cost increases modest as their pool has increased, allowing higher discount rates.
Do you envision this deductible staying the same......????

......or do you see the future being where we need additional "responsible health care consumption" training, in the form of an even higher annual deductible.

My money will always be on the latter, in any ensuing contract, since Pandora's box has now been opened.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Th

The reason for everybody except The West Coast and Local 177 in NJ had the gumption to tell hall that they wanted to go out and find there own Health care insurance. We wanted more Locals to jump on board, but no one wanted that's why we have our own heath care and btw it's a great policy that we have I use it all the time never had a problem.
See, now this is interesting.

Let me get this straight, it wasn't just Tim S and Fred Z???

It was the rest of the country that was weak, "except The West Coast and Local 177 in NJ" because they "had the gumption to tell hall that they wanted to go out and find there own Health care insurance"?

I wonder what Hoffa and Hall would have done had a bigger segment of the Union had the "gumption" to ask to "carve out"?

No,....I don't think I'm buying into the whole "gumption" theory.

rama'nfeeders

I am very involved with my Local I use to be a steward, but now just a Feeder driver. Our officers wanted more Locals to jump on board with us, but no one stepped up. The more members involved with a Heath Care Plan can make it so much cheaper, so why would all the Locals not want better coverage for there Members???

Inthegame

Do you envision this deductible staying the same......????

......or do you see the future being where we need additional "responsible health care consumption" training, in the form of an even higher annual deductible.

My money will always be on the latter, in any ensuing contract, since Pandora's box has now been opened.
That scary Pandora's box has been open in my Local Union's H&W plan for over twenty years without an increase in deductible.
Maybe when the GOP enacts their replacement to the ACA, healthcare costs increases will magically drop to less than inflation, UPS will then enthusiastically provide unlimited coverage for all actives and retirees free.
And pigs will fly...

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I am very involved with my Local I use to be a steward, but now just a Feeder driver. Our officers wanted more Locals to jump on board with us, but no one stepped up. The more members involved with a Heath Care Plan can make it so much cheaper, so why would all the Locals not want better coverage for there Members???
With that in mind, why would Hoffa and Hall let you "carve out" of the National Plan?

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
That scary Pandora's box has been open in my Local Union's H&W plan for over twenty years without an increase in deductible.
Maybe when the GOP enacts their replacement to the ACA, healthcare costs increases will magically drop to less than inflation, UPS will then enthusiastically provide unlimited coverage for all actives and retirees free.
And pigs will fly...
So you're not in TeamCare?

Shouldn't we theoretically be able to negotiate those inflationary increases into the subsequent contracts with a company at the top of their game, reaping record profits like UPS is???

rama'nfeeders

I think a lot of Locals should reach out to Local 177 at 973 923 7070 or the Western Confrence to jump on board to make our Health Care the absolute BEST!!!

Inthegame

So you're not in TeamCare?
No, locals previously not under the UPS H&W stayed in their own H&W.
Shouldn't we theoretically be able to negotiate those inflationary increases into the subsequent contracts with a company at the top of their game, reaping record profits like UPS is???
Theoretically? We have negotiated increases in subsequent contracts with UPS. H&W costs however have gone up triple the rate of inflation even BEFORE the ACA, hence another reason the ACA was enacted in an attempt to slow down the runaway train.
In the last two contracts, UPS has increased their H&W contribution over 100% to union plans, because of that stumblebum Ken H's negotiations. Active members still pay no part of that weekly contribution.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
No, locals previously not under the UPS H&W stayed in their own H&W.
Theoretically? We have negotiated increases in subsequent contracts with UPS. H&W costs however have gone up triple the rate of inflation even BEFORE the ACA, hence another reason the ACA was enacted in an attempt to slow down the runaway train.
In the last two contracts, UPS has increased their H&W contribution over 100% to union plans, because of that stumblebum Ken H's negotiations. Active members still pay no part of that weekly contribution.
Ken does have a lot of issues he's dealing with, not telling the truth being the biggest one.
That was my biggest issue with him in the last UPS contract negotiations.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Guys your local could have jumped on our Health care, but your local didn't jump o .
Why would we want to do that???
By your own admission, the more participants, the more the bargaining power, and the better the deal.
How can it be, that your "carve out" would provide for a better deal than all of those in TeamCare?

10 Pt

Guys your local could have jumped on our Health care, but your local didn't jump o .
IMG_20170129_195647.jpg

Did anyone offer us a ride?