Fleeing New York City In Droves!

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Renting a dumpster and throwing most of it away is the way to go, I wish we had done that. I swear my wife boxed up more garbage than good stuff to keep.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
People fleeing New York is nothing new. About eight-ten years ago a new subdivision went up on my delivery area and I soon noticed that most of the car tags were from Long Island. I got to talking to a new homeowner one day and he said his property taxes were about $10,000 a year. His taxes were higher than his mortgage note and he couldn't afford them anymore. Mine were about $100 a month at the time. What I don't understand is why people vote for Democrats and then get upset when their taxes go up. Then they move and vote the same way, they never learn. The county I recently moved from went Democrat the last election and soon the new administration started spending like crazy. Last week they announced that they wanted to raise local taxes 30% and the school board wants to raise theirs 5% to fund a separate police force. Retired people living on a fixed income can't afford that, people there are revolting. They blame it on the pandemic but the over-spending started a couple of years before that started. They inherited a balanced budget and a large surplus for emergencies. A new bus system started that nobody rides. A $800,000 concession stand was put into a county park in the middle of nowhere while the other parks fell into disrepair. County Commissioners are part time, but they now need over-paid Assistants to do their jobs.The one thing I don't like about the county I just moved into is the local taxes are over twice what I used to pay and I will still have to pay school taxes after I turn 65. I did almost double the size of my house and a lot of the county services are free to use instead of being fee based though.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
People fleeing New York is nothing new. About eight-ten years ago a new subdivision went up on my delivery area and I soon noticed that most of the car tags were from Long Island. I got to talking to a new homeowner one day and he said his property taxes were about $10,000 a year. His taxes were higher than his mortgage note and he couldn't afford them anymore. Mine were about $100 a month at the time. What I don't understand is why people vote for Democrats and then get upset when their taxes go up. Then they move and vote the same way, they never learn. The county I recently moved from went Democrat the last election and soon the new administration started spending like crazy. Last week they announced that they wanted to raise local taxes 30% and the school board wants to raise theirs 5% to fund a separate police force. Retired people living on a fixed income can't afford that, people there are revolting. They blame it on the pandemic but the over-spending started a couple of years before that started. They inherited a balanced budget and a large surplus for emergencies. A new bus system started that nobody rides. A $800,000 concession stand was put into a county park in the middle of nowhere while the other parks fell into disrepair. County Commissioners are part time, but they now need over-paid Assistants to do their jobs.The one thing I don't like about the county I just moved into is the local taxes are over twice what I used to pay and I will still have to pay school taxes after I turn 65. I did almost double the size of my house and a lot of the county services are free to use instead of being fee based though.
The "tax and spenders" are just waiting til you get settled in, then they'll pounce.