Forced lunches

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Good Lord, there's no hope for these Einsteins. DO THE MATH and tell us why you donate over 6k per year to a billion dollar company. Damn.....

He already answered this for you------he prefers to spend time with his family and is willing to lose money to do so.

That being said-----DO NOT drive anywhere while on lunch. While I do understand and appreciate your reasoning, you are simply asking for trouble, especially if something were to happen while you are on your "meal break".

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
And habitually waiting until finished with a heavy commercial stop route to take a lunch is bone headed too. Allot of work can be done in an hour in the middle of the day that would normally extend later commercial stops into pickup times. Eliminating that habit could easily result in less work. Either via less stops and/or pickups.
A lunch "taken" at the end of the day is basically not taking a lunch at all.
I can see it for an 8 hr requested day, granted or not, but not habitually as you stated.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I lived on my delivery area and generally took my meal break between 1545-1630. This was a natural break between deliveries and the first round of pickups and the second round of pickups which closed out my day. I would eat during the day and would use the break time as I pleased.

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
I wish. Out of about 65 routes, very few of ours are near 100 stop count. Most are closer to 200.
Miles, area, pieces. They're all different.
Still, 20 spohr x 65 ÷ 200 x .5 is over 3 routes at that level of dispatch. The local should get involved and tell those drivers to knock it off. It's screwing other workers over.

CoolStoryBro

Yes that's a good idea and I will ask him that. But I am just surprised that he would say termination before just telling me hey you can't do that, don't do that anymore. If he would have said that then I would have stopped. I didn't know that it was an issue. I thought they wouldn't care

My opinion is that whenever UPS is facing a reduction in workforce they start firing people. There's rumors of massive layoffs. If people don't get back to work soon then there could be massive economic devastation and our customers might have no money to order amazon crap.

My center has never forced us to take lunches and I never have Because I have young kids that I would rather get home to as quick as possible to spend time with. A little over a month ago they decided to start forcing us to take our 30 min lunch. My route is about a 30 min drive from our center so I have been putting in my lunch after my last stop on my drive back to the center. Nobody has ever said anything to me about it. Today my sup came up to me and said that he knows that I have been putting my lunch in during my drive back to the center and that is falsifying my time card, and dishonesty. He said that I could be facing termination. Could I really lose my job for that with no warnings at all? Shouldn't they at least tell me first "hey don't do that"
Since you are working during lunch. Some state laws say, your employer is obligated to pay you for your lunch.

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
I lived on my delivery area and generally took my meal break between 1545-1630. This was a natural break between deliveries and the first round of pickups and the second round of pickups which closed out my day. I would eat during the day and would use the break time as I pleased.
Lunch break here is between the 3rd and 6th hr of your day per our cba.
There was an unbid route that went out with 450 del pcs/120 del stops + 35 pm pickups. A young driver, tired of Russian roulette coverage, forced them to bid it.
He took his first 10 min break after the 10:30 airs were done, lunch around 12 noon, and the last paid break right before his pick up string started at 15:00.

He needed help every day getting businesses del for a month but his ors couldn't touch his efficiency because he did the job right.

In one month the bulk stops came off, the route went down to about 100 del stops, 280 del pcs, 35 pickups and stayed that way for years.

Not a bonus center fyi but it paid dividends for the driver's health, they finally created a route that made a couple of close proximity routes much better...

all because this guy did it right, every day, and ignored the wind from management along the way to fixing the problem.

God bless the drivers that have spine.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
all because this guy did it right, every day, and ignored the wind from management along the way to fixing the problem.

God bless the drivers that have spine.
One thing I'll say is, unfortunately, it's also other drivers that will blow smoke because they have to help that route out.

Dr.Brownz

You should take your meal and all other rest periods everyday. It will make your dispatch lighter in the long run. Then you will have more energy when you go home!

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
One thing I'll say is, unfortunately, it's also other drivers that will blow smoke because they have to help that route out.
The people who ran that route prior to this driver bidding it burned through it. Businesses were missed and sheeted as such when the guy bid it until they put a route in to make service and they added work from other heavy routes to keep it in.

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
My center has never forced us to take lunches and I never have Because I have young kids that I would rather get home to as quick as possible to spend time with. A little over a month ago they decided to start forcing us to take our 30 min lunch. My route is about a 30 min drive from our center so I have been putting in my lunch after my last stop on my drive back to the center. Nobody has ever said anything to me about it. Today my sup came up to me and said that he knows that I have been putting my lunch in during my drive back to the center and that is falsifying my time card, and dishonesty. He said that I could be facing termination. Could I really lose my job for that with no warnings at all? Shouldn't they at least tell me first "hey don't do that"
G_20191206_0728122.gif

RolloTony Brown Town

Yes you can be fired for that. You would most definitely get your job back.

Stop doing that crap immediately (duh.)

Fido

Don’t worry he’s friendly
Funny how areas are different. Skipping lunch is the cornerstone of new driver training in my center. You should shake your center manager's hand for showing a little integrity. It's a rare thing, for sure.
In our center, during new driver training you're forced to take an hour lunch. Back when I did mine, the second week in I was taking 1.5-2 hour lunches because they wouldn't put enough work on the route during the training. Was a bit irritated at that because I can't be bothered sitting for longer than 30 minutes. Let alone 15.