Forced lunches

Discussion in 'UPS Union Issues' started by 1989NW, Apr 14, 2020.

1. Yolo

Yolo Active Member

Enjoy prison OP

2. burrheadd

burrheadd KING Of GIFS

Read the above real slow

3. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Well-Known Member

He already answered this for you------he prefers to spend time with his family and is willing to lose money to do so.

That being said-----DO NOT drive anywhere while on lunch. While I do understand and appreciate your reasoning, you are simply asking for trouble, especially if something were to happen while you are on your "meal break".

4. Boywondr

Boywondr The truth never changes.

100 stops on some of our routes is a 9 hr day fyi.
    But even at 120 that's at least 3 routes.

5. Boywondr

A lunch "taken" at the end of the day is basically not taking a lunch at all.
    I can see it for an 8 hr requested day, granted or not, but not habitually as you stated.

6. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Well-Known Member

I lived on my delivery area and generally took my meal break between 1545-1630. This was a natural break between deliveries and the first round of pickups and the second round of pickups which closed out my day. I would eat during the day and would use the break time as I pleased.

7. MyTripisCut

MyTripisCut “They” are coming for us.

I wish. Out of about 65 routes, very few of ours are near 100 stop count. Most are closer to 200.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  8. Boywondr

Miles, area, pieces. They're all different.
    Still, 20 spohr x 65 ÷ 200 x .5 is over 3 routes at that level of dispatch. The local should get involved and tell those drivers to knock it off. It's screwing other workers over.

9. WDFD

10. CoolStoryBro

CoolStoryBro Active Member

My opinion is that whenever UPS is facing a reduction in workforce they start firing people. There's rumors of massive layoffs. If people don't get back to work soon then there could be massive economic devastation and our customers might have no money to order amazon crap.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  11. 1989

1989 Well-Known Member

Since you are working during lunch. Some state laws say, your employer is obligated to pay you for your lunch.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  12. Boywondr

Lunch break here is between the 3rd and 6th hr of your day per our cba.
    There was an unbid route that went out with 450 del pcs/120 del stops + 35 pm pickups. A young driver, tired of Russian roulette coverage, forced them to bid it.
    He took his first 10 min break after the 10:30 airs were done, lunch around 12 noon, and the last paid break right before his pick up string started at 15:00.

He needed help every day getting businesses del for a month but his ors couldn't touch his efficiency because he did the job right.

In one month the bulk stops came off, the route went down to about 100 del stops, 280 del pcs, 35 pickups and stayed that way for years.

Not a bonus center fyi but it paid dividends for the driver's health, they finally created a route that made a couple of close proximity routes much better...

all because this guy did it right, every day, and ignored the wind from management along the way to fixing the problem.

God bless the drivers that have spine.

• Winner Winner x 6
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. DriveInDriveOut

DriveInDriveOut Proud Deplorable

One thing I'll say is, unfortunately, it's also other drivers that will blow smoke because they have to help that route out.

14. Dr.Brownz

Dr.Brownz Well-Known Member

You should take your meal and all other rest periods everyday. It will make your dispatch lighter in the long run. Then you will have more energy when you go home!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  15. Boywondr

The people who ran that route prior to this driver bidding it burned through it. Businesses were missed and sheeted as such when the guy bid it until they put a route in to make service and they added work from other heavy routes to keep it in.

16. PASinterference

PASinterference Yes, I know I'm working late.

G_20191206_0728122.gif

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  17. What'dyabringmetoday???

What'dyabringmetoday??? Well-Known Member

Yes Skippy- everyone knows all of your dark secrets. Lol.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  18. RolloTony Brown Town

RolloTony Brown Town Active Member

Yes you can be fired for that. You would most definitely get your job back.

Stop doing that crap immediately (duh.)

19. 60lbBagofdogfood

60lbBagofdogfood Active Member

In our center, during new driver training you're forced to take an hour lunch. Back when I did mine, the second week in I was taking 1.5-2 hour lunches because they wouldn't put enough work on the route during the training. Was a bit irritated at that because I can't be bothered sitting for longer than 30 minutes. Let alone 15.

20. What'dyabringmetoday???

What'dyabringmetoday??? Well-Known Member

But he needs to get done. Lol.