Forced lunches

What'dyabringmetoday???

Lunch break here is between the 3rd and 6th hr of your day per our cba.
There was an unbid route that went out with 450 del pcs/120 del stops + 35 pm pickups. A young driver, tired of Russian roulette coverage, forced them to bid it.
He took his first 10 min break after the 10:30 airs were done, lunch around 12 noon, and the last paid break right before his pick up string started at 15:00.

He needed help every day getting businesses del for a month but his ors couldn't touch his efficiency because he did the job right.

In one month the bulk stops came off, the route went down to about 100 del stops, 280 del pcs, 35 pickups and stayed that way for years.

Not a bonus center fyi but it paid dividends for the driver's health, they finally created a route that made a couple of close proximity routes much better...

all because this guy did it right, every day, and ignored the wind from management along the way to fixing the problem.

God bless the drivers that have spine.
I assume this wasn't UpstateNYUPSer? Lol.

BrownMonk

Old fart Package Car Driver
My center has never forced us to take lunches and I never have Because I have young kids that I would rather get home to as quick as possible to spend time with. A little over a month ago they decided to start forcing us to take our 30 min lunch. My route is about a 30 min drive from our center so I have been putting in my lunch after my last stop on my drive back to the center. Nobody has ever said anything to me about it. Today my sup came up to me and said that he knows that I have been putting my lunch in during my drive back to the center and that is falsifying my time card, and dishonesty. He said that I could be facing termination. Could I really lose my job for that with no warnings at all? Shouldn't they at least tell me first "hey don't do that"

First, there was a lawsuit filed a few years ago by a California local for this exact reason and the company was fined, I believe, by the State DOL and forced to backpay all the drivers at the one and a half time rate for all hours that were identified. The company started enforcing it everywhere because they know it is everywhere and now they can say that they are attempting to make everyone take their lunch. Less liability that way.

Second, if you are a RPCD you are better off than feeders. The DOT mandates at least a half by the end of the 8th hour or you are violating federal law. It has always been a point of contention to whether RPCD drivers are DOT on all laws. We follow the hours of service and DOT physicals but rarely do we have a CDL. Maybe Big Union Guy can shed more light on this one?

Third, I'm sure your supplement mandates at least a half hour lunch which means you are violating the contract. You can not pick which parts of the contract you want to disobey. Just take the 1/2 hour at time and half and buy the kids a special treat every year. It is funny that the company pushes this even though they really don't want the extra time on their books.

By the letter of the law, you are being dishonest(falsifying company records) nut this isn't usually something the company fires for but they see if it changes. If it doesn't, they get you for insubordination as well. In a week or 2 ,they usually back off once they see their numbers slipping.

yadadamean116

My center has never forced us to take lunches and I never have Because I have young kids that I would rather get home to as quick as possible to spend time with. A little over a month ago they decided to start forcing us to take our 30 min lunch. My route is about a 30 min drive from our center so I have been putting in my lunch after my last stop on my drive back to the center. Nobody has ever said anything to me about it. Today my sup came up to me and said that he knows that I have been putting my lunch in during my drive back to the center and that is falsifying my time card, and dishonesty. He said that I could be facing termination. Could I really lose my job for that with no warnings at all? Shouldn't they at least tell me first "hey don't do that"
Yea that’s dumb. You are throwing away a lot of money

Fuzzy Brown

Management in my barn requires everyone to “record” 30 minutes of lunch because every afternoon it was a battle between the ass kissers as to who got in and off first and as a result pickups had to be reassigned to the slower of the group and if necessary the slower ones were forced to take as much lunch as necessary to wait for pickup times

Poop Head

Judge me.
Management in my barn requires everyone to “record” 30 minutes of lunch because every afternoon it was a battle between the ass kissers as to who got in and off first and as a result pickups had to be reassigned to the slower of the group and if necessary the slower ones were forced to take as much lunch as necessary to wait for pickup times
Not much better than an extra (paid) lunch, while waiting for pickups

Rack em

Made the Podium
They cannot force you to take another lunch because you are waiting for pick ups. Lunch is to be taken during the contractual time window and they cannot make you take another lunch just because there is dead time. At least here that :censored2: don't fly.

Fuzzy Brown

They cannot force you to take another lunch because you are waiting for pick ups. Lunch is to be taken during the contractual time window and they cannot make you take another lunch just because there is dead time. At least here that :censored2: don't fly.
Being kiss asses they didn’t take any lunch to begin with.

Unless you are a 22 4 driver and have to take up to 90 minutes of lunch?