Forklift Safety Issue or No? Input requested "On Topic"

Integrity

Binge Poster
To My Fellow UPS Workers,

The purpose of this discussion thread is not to gripe or complain about conditions at UPS, management, the Union or for that matter anything at all about UPS. The sole purpose of this discussion thread is to discuss the following work-related issue with other employees as an initial step in engaging in some concerted activity to bring this issue up to the company as a group.

It is my hope that by addressing this issue in concert we not only be working for our own mutual aid, protection and improved working conditions, but we will be working for the benefit of any and all coworkers that may have been adversely affected by this issue.

It was brought to the attention of Integrity that a worker at a UPS facility was observed working under a golf cart style industrial vehicle that was raised up on the forks of a forklift.

Not sure if it was a UPS employee or outside service but it sounds like someone was working on one of the irregular tugs or similar equipment in this manner.

I have looked into some information on forklift safety and there doesn't seem to be anything that justifies this type of use or repair.

Maybe some discussion may shed some light as to whether this is a safety concern or if it is just an acceptable practice in industry.

My first thoughts are that it is not acceptable.

I

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Sounds unacceptable but you didn’t give enough details.
Ummm, no. A floor jack works on the same way a forklift forks do, on hydraulics. For the same reason you use jack stands for the appropriate weight of vehicle you’re working on, you’d use them on a an irreg cart for example, the same. If the hydraulics give way or a slow leak you don’t know about, it’s usually game over for whoever is under whatever they are working on. It’s easy to not see a very slow decline on a floor jack’s hydraulic when you’re working under a vehicle.

When I’m working on a vehicle I use the floor jack as a safety, not holding the weight of the vehicle, just touching the jack spot, jack stands, and a wheel under the car for a third level of safety.

Box Ox

It was brought to the attention of Integrity that a worker at a UPS facility was observed working under a golf cart style industrial vehicle that was raised up on the forks of a forklift.

Not sure if it was a UPS employee or outside service but it sounds like someone was working on one of the irregular tugs or similar equipment in this manner.

I have looked into some information on forklift safety and there doesn't seem to be anything that justifies this type of use or repair.

Maybe some discussion may shed some light as to whether this is a safety concern or if it is just an acceptable practice in industry.

I'm gonna need you to do maybe a 45 minute livestream from directly under that loaded forklift in order to make a determination of appropriate next steps.

B

PT Car Washer

Building maintenance mechanics use this method all the time for working under the tram tugs and tram carts. I would guess it must be an acceptable practice.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
To My Fellow UPS Workers,

The purpose of this discussion thread is not to gripe or complain about conditions at UPS, management, the Union or for that matter anything at all about UPS. The sole purpose of this discussion thread is to discuss the following work-related issue with other employees as an initial step in engaging in some concerted activity to bring this issue up to the company as a group.

It is my hope that by addressing this issue in concert we not only be working for our own mutual aid, protection and improved working conditions, but we will be working for the benefit of any and all coworkers that may have been adversely affected by this issue.

I

images

It has nothing to do with your work area !!!
It has nothing to do with your job !!!
It has nothing to do with you !!!

Integrity

Binge Poster
Building maintenance mechanics use this method all the time for working under the tram tugs and tram carts. I would guess it must be an acceptable practice.
According to the manual that I attached it is a violation of the safety instructions.

You never seen your building maintenance mechanics do some scary stuff?

I would hardly view that department as being an example of a real safety conscience group.

At least for things in the field, like every other department they probably have great paperwork for audit time.

Ever get a molten metal shower while on the way to the bathroom?

Where was my fireproof umbrella when I needed it?

Integrity

Binge Poster
images

It has nothing to do with your work area !!!
It has nothing to do with your job !!!
It has nothing to do with you !!!
Safety Integrity has everything to do with Integrity.

I don't know what you know, but you don't seem to know much.

At least as far as this reply goes.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Safety Integrity has everything to do with Integrity.

I don't know what you know, but you don't seem to know much.

At least as far as this reply goes.

What's next ???

Landscaper wasn't wearing eyewear ?????
Gloves weren't used at the fuel pumps ?????

PUNCH IN
DO YOUR JOB SAFELY
PUNCH OUT

Integrity

Binge Poster
What's next ???

Landscaper wasn't wearing eyewear ?????
Gloves weren't used at the fuel pumps ?????

PUNCH IN
DO YOUR JOB SAFELY
PUNCH OUT
What's next?

I can never be sure what is reported.

Have you observed safety eyewear infractions?

Hand safety infractions?

Maybe these will be next, let me know.

I always punch in.

I always do my job safely.

I always punch out.

Turdferguson

Just a turd
What's next?

I can never be sure what is reported.

Have you observed safety eyewear infractions?

Hand safety infractions?

Maybe these will be next, let me know.

I always punch in.

I always do my job safely.

I always punch out.

Did you report the safety "violation " you witnessed?