Founders Day

Coldworld

60 months and counting
UPS is having income issues due to the ridiculous discounts they give.

Ever compare shipping rates on items? I was checking pricing on 8’ pieces of 2x2x1/8” angle iron this weekend on metalsdepot.com.

1 8’ piece is just over 13 pounds. Pricing below is for everything strapped together as 1 package.

UPS is literally charging 25% of what FedEx rates are showing. Buy 1 piece or 8 pieces and shipping costs the same but anything inbetween is actually CHEAPER! LOL.

UPS Shipping for:
1 stick $25 (14lbs)
2 sticks $23 (28lbs)
3 sticks $21 (40lbs)
4 sticks $19 (53lbs)
5 sticks $17 (66lbs)
6 sticks $18 (80lbs)
7 sticks $22 (93lbs)
8 sticks $25 (106lbs)
9 sticks $28 (119lbs)
10 sticks $32 (132lbs)

FedEx Shipping for:
1 stick $95 (14lbs)
2 sticks $93 (28lbs)
3 sticks $91 (40lbs)
4 sticks $89 (53lbs)
5 sticks $87 (66lbs)
6 sticks $70 (80lbs)
7 sticks $76 (93lbs)
8 sticks $81 (106lbs)
9 sticks $86 (119lbs)
10 sticks $91 (132lbs)
I don’t believe this...

WTFm8

I don’t believe this...

Add a piece to a cart, add zip code, and change quantities to see.

It’s obviosly a volume business discount of some sort but it’s kind of ridiculous. I had a small business reselling surplus military truck parts mid 2015-2017 and at one point my shipping discount was near 30% off. Had to do with volume and insurance values.

I’ve ordered from metalsdepot before.

https://www.metalsdepot.com/steel-products/steel-angle?product=1029

bowhnterdon

It still was a dog and pony show.... believe me... then you go back to the 60’s and 70’s when your on road sup would ride with you and kick the back of your heels to get you to move faster.... it’s always been an average place to work afaic....
Kicking the heels..I cannot forget that. Can you imagine that happening today!!

Waldo

F73E4F7B-7994-471C-99D4-A97A28FF48A6.jpeg

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
Apparently drivers had to watch a founders day video and then load their cars for 30min because of late air.
Leaving 45m late is what this company has become

Last edited:
F

Frankie's Friend

Telling stories again brother
There was one person from hog island there. She is the tdu queen who took over for sandy. You both have something in common. Both of you voted yes last contract ! I can tell you for sure that she don’t have white toe nails
FACT
keep telling lies.
There was not “a few”
It was one and she’s all tdu and yours !
FACT
IDC about your white toe nail fetish but I'm really concerned with your gray brain matter or lack thereof.
You're definitely overallowed on this site murph.

F

Frankie's Friend

Apparently drivers had to watch a founders day video and then load their cars for 30min because of late air.
Should've uploaded it into the diad right after the stupid map that has to display every morning slowing down the LB time.

Gimme Danger

The only thing we had to do was punch in in time for scheduled start time and go about our day. No participation, no ceremony. They can shove their breakfast in the trash.
I heard the company was supposed to have the RI congressional delegation as special guests. They cancelled because the company has a terrible relationship with the Local union.
All the while stewards leafleted Vote No material.

PT Car Washer

Twilight sort had nothing for Founders Day today. Some left over donuts from the preload I guess that the flys had been snacking and leaving eggs on all day. Some brave souls finished them off. Not even cold water. I guess I have a 40 year plaque somewhere from what some of the drivers told me. About a year late.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
I think it has more to do with the stock going public than the strike.
The egg or the chicken.
The two are intertwined starting around 1993.
UPS had been looking at going public all the way back in the 80s but in 1993, the numbers were beginning to indicate the need for additional cash to buy new companies and to some extent, diversify. UPS management at all levels was very hesitant to go public because they knew it would change the UPS culture in many ways ... most not conducive to continuing the paternal culture within UPS wherein UPS considered all employees equal to some extent and to take care of them all.
The strike of '97 removed that reluctance to not have a paternal attitude towards it's employees. So one of the first things the management committee did immediately after the strike was make the decision to go public and start that 2 year process.