France riots

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
i know, i know...many americans have been mislead by big money and the founding fathers (who were also big money...hmmm) and dont like democracy and like something called a "republic" whatever that means.

Democracy is majority rules, it does not involve "compromise". As such, the US really is not a democracy. Republic is where people elect representatives who are supposed to look out for the interests of their constituents, while not being forced to obey the will of the majority. Just because there are a lot of wrong people, doesn't make them any less wrong. Which is why a republic is generally a superior governing model, especially with a system of checks and balances. No system is perfect, though...

El Correcto

god is dead
i know, i know...many americans have been mislead by big money and the founding fathers (who were also big money...hmmm) and dont like democracy and like something called a "republic" whatever that means.
Best form of government would be an omniscient benevolent dictator. I’d say republics are a good compromise to that unattainable goal. You can’t fall into utopian ideologies like communism or even laissez-faire capitalism.

At this point I wish they had voter tests and let us replace congress with an app on our phone.

El Correcto

god is dead
Democracy is majority rules, it does not involve "compromise". As such, the US really is not a democracy. Republic is where people elect representatives who are supposed to look out for the interests of their constituents, while not being forced to obey the will of the majority. Just because there are a lot of wrong people, doesn't make them any less wrong. Which is why a republic is generally a superior governing model, especially with a system of checks and balances. No system is perfect, though...
Our representatives are garbage. It really comes down to how much money you are putting into their war coffers, whether or not your side will be heard. It’s no longer about for the good of the nation or people, it’s basically a combination of mob rule and patronage.

rickyb

to be honest, guys i listen to dont talk alot about the problems of democracy like what if only 50% of people agree. but they are very clear on democracy being the goal especially economic democracy.

i believe chomsky calls democracy a threat to power systems. im gonna watch 2 videos of his right now, but i recall him saying that in terms of political democracy (in part) its supposed to be people getting together coming up with ideas they want to implement, and then electing a representative who they think will carry out their ideas. our current system is so broken representatives come to us with the ideas and we either vote for them or not.

sheldon wolin (who i think cornel west and chris hedges wouldve described as one of america's greatest living political philosophers before he died recently) talks about a permanent revolution i believe, cant quite remember what he said but probably a citizenry engaged in democracy something like the civil rights or anti war protests. chris hedges says the same thing.

your definition of republic didnt match with googles definition. not saying google has the right definition of words or anything, but i use it for terrorism definition.

i know proportional representation is better than canadas first past the post.

i dont think america has a very good system of checks and balances.

rickyb

Our representatives are garbage. It really comes down to how much money you are putting into their war coffers, whether or not your side will be heard. It’s no longer about for the good of the nation or people, it’s basically a combination of mob rule and patronage.
mob rule by a very small mob?

i didnt know what patronage is, but if you mean crony capitalism then i agree, and with the part about money.

rickyb

Best form of government would be an omniscient benevolent dictator. I’d say republics are a good compromise to that unattainable goal. You can’t fall into utopian ideologies like communism or even laissez-faire capitalism.

At this point I wish they had voter tests and let us replace congress with an app on our phone.
yea but the thing is they dont want democracy and thats why american democracy is what it is and you dont vote on your phone. we should be voting all the time but they dont want that.

ive never heard of a benevolent dictator and id assume that the amount of power that position confers would lead to alot of corruption.

neoliberalism is described as a utopian ideology which i think is basically laissez faire capitalism.

rickyb

hey i ate like you today, i had 2 small reese's, and a peanut butter chocolate sundae.

rickyb

so chomsky talks about the origins of democracy and then the origins of the american political system which was to reduce democracy, increase inequality, and keep power in the senate where some of the wealth was.

and wow, actually i used to quote this before because people dont know their own history myself included to a large degree, but "wage labour was an intolerable infringement on human rights. it wasnt a radical position, it was the slogan of the republican party, you could read it in the NY times editorials in 1870s, it was the slogan in which many northern workers fought the civil war, it was abraham lincoln's position, it was a major theme of the lively working class press" he said worker ownership and control of jobs remained a mainstream theme in america up until the corporatization of america 120 years ago. back then conservatives attacked the new corporatization of america because they rightly believed corporations infringed on markets and natural rights of humans.