Freightliner Just Revealed The First Real Road-Legal Autonomous Big Rig

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
They claim they already detect people well. I assume they will adjust their path and or slow down. Adjusting path may include taking a different path to the destination if possible. When it knows kids are playing in the street. The cars will most likely talk to each other and will most likely. Tell other cars that it thinks it sees a drunk,blind person, and kida in an area and for other cars to be more careful

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...6c6fbc-d79b-11e3-95d3-3bcd77cd4e11_story.html
This is pretty simple stuff really. I mean we are just dumb truck drivers. :)

Brownslave688

Agreed. When confronted with all of the congestion and variables in city driving a computer would have a meltdown. It would be impossible for it to maintain a space cushion at all times. It might work for feeders on open roads but package cars are magnitudes more complicated and not going to happen in the near future.
This is kind of a chicken and egg deal. The more cars that have this tech the better they will work.

Look for 1 of 2 things to happen. Either legislation making it so you have to retrofit old cars or roads that only the high tech cars can travel.

clean hairy

In todays Dallas Morning News, dallasnews.com
in the business section this is discused.
In the article, it states the truck will not change lanes or pass another vehicle.
So, what does the truck do when the right lane is closing some distance ahead due to road work?
I would guess most of us have seen a car or big rig start to pull from the shoulder onto the road, and traffic has to scramble to avoid hitting the slow moving merging traffic?
Will the self driving truck be able to pull the same evasive manuver a human could?
A Police or Fire vehicle is taking care of an emergency on the shoulder of the road, so the truck will ignore the law and not move over?
Imagine how long a trip would take if it got behind a Grandpa on the Interstate doing 15 under the limit. It will not change lanes or pass the Grandpa. Currently, humans can judge and navigate for a safe transition to get around the slower traffic and continue at a faster safe speed than Grandpa.Just for kicks, lets say a UPS driver leaves Chi-Town for Omaha, Neb and it is 500 miles on I-80 and takes (just for example sake 8 hours with bathroom stop thrown in.
Will the truck decide the route is 40 miles less by taking 2 lane roads, yet the trip takes 2 hours longer, but it saved 40 miles?
Who decides the route the truck will take? The truck or the human?

clean hairy

In the article, it states the truck will not change lanes or pass another vehicle.
So, what does the truck do when the right lane is closing some distance ahead due to road work?
I would guess most of us have seen a car or big rig start to pull from the shoulder onto the road, and traffic has to scramble to avoid hitting the slow moving merging traffic?
Will the self driving truck be able to pull the same evasive manuver a human could?
A Police or Fire vehicle is taking care of an emergency on the shoulder of the road, so the truck will ignore the law and not move over?
Imagine how long a trip would take if it got behind a Grandpa on the Interstate doing 15 under the limit. It will not change lanes or pass the Grandpa. Currently, humans can judge and navigate for a safe transition to get around the slower traffic and continue at a faster safe speed than Grandpa.Just for kicks, lets say a UPS driver leaves Chi-Town for Omaha, Neb and it is 500 miles on I-80 and takes (just for example sake 8 hours with bathroom stop thrown in.
Will the truck decide the route is 40 miles less by taking 2 lane roads, yet the trip takes 2 hours longer, but it saved 40 miles?

Brownslave688

You do realize this truck barely scratches the surface of where they will be in 10 years and this version isn't designed to be fully self sufficient?

BrownArmy

Someone mentioned this, but it seems to me all this only works if all vehicles on the road have the same technology, or at least the same technology to communicate with each other.

Or perhaps dedicated lanes for the driver-less trucks, separated from other traffic like HOV lanes.

Let's face it, for trucks that are basically going from point A to point B, it's not a bad idea.

But honestly I think this is at least over a decade away, and not because we can't get there technologically, it's our policymakers who will be caught with there pants down, like every other dang thing.

clean hairy

Brownslave688

We got it the other 2 times you posted it. ;)

Just read on usa today. They said 10-15 before they expect to not need a driver behind the wheel.

rod

Retired 22 years
Its al BS--none of this is happening

I want my hoverboard---That Back to the Future thing was suppose to happen in 2015

Browndriver5

That's pretty simple really. Cameras radar lasers microchips imbedded in the road. All letting the car know the dangers ahead a half mile before you could even see the crosswalk.

We have a segment on the Atlanta news dedicated to pot holes called "pot hole patrol." do you think we are really going to be able to put cameras, censors and lasers on the :censored2:ty roads we already drive on?

oldngray

nowhere special
All this new system is a more advanced form of cruise control. Kind of like an auto pilot but less capable than those in planes. Long long way from being practical.

laffter

I'm not to smart when it comes to insurance policies but I'd like to know who would insure a truck that doesn't have a physical driver. Yes somebody is in the seat encase a malfunction happens but accidents happen in the blink of an eye.

I think it will be more like how commercial airplanes are: self-driving with a human in the seat.

Brownslave688

We have a segment on the Atlanta news dedicated to pot holes called "pot hole patrol." do you think we are really going to be able to put cameras, censors and lasers on the :censored2:ty roads we already drive on?
Yes. Before long they will cost pennies and they will just imbed them into the paint. Millions of microchips.

rod

Retired 22 years
Not saying that it will NEVER happen but for the first 100 years they try it they will always have a human on board so they have someone to blame when things goes wrong.

Brownslave688

Not saying that it will NEVER happen but for the first 100 years they try it they will always have a human on board so they have someone to blame when things goes wrong.
100 years lol. Try 10-20. Tou have to ask though at what point does the pay drop to zilch because you're essentially a passenger?

rod

Retired 22 years
100 years lol. Try 10-20. Tou have to ask though at what point does the pay drop to zilch because you're essentially a passenger?

I would still say a 100. They always need a scape-goat. At one point in time they would end up charging you to ride along (but in the end if something happened they would still point the finger at you).