friend$%@-it Friday

No they didn't, STOP. I was hired in the Meadowlands in 1988. UPS paid 8/hr and minimum wage was $3.35. 30 of us walked downstairs for a tour of the hub as part of orientation. 22 of us came upstairs a half hour later. There are people who can't take this kind of work in every generation.

Uhh, I started at $10.15 this past August, which is less than minimum wage in California. Pretty damn big difference!! Our union initiation dues are $600 as well...sucks to be a PT these days.

4evapreloader

So over double minimum wage wasn't a lot of money? Now they barely make above minimum wage to start. And wait way longer for bennies to kick in.
I started in a different city around the same time. Yes, $3.35 was the minimum wage but many companies including McD's were paying above minimum. The reasoning of some people was, I can work my :censored2: off here for $8 per hour or work at McD's for about the same amount of money and not break a sweat. My favorite when I was sorting was when a new employee just never came back from break. That was about at least another 10 minute break for me.

dudebro

So over double minimum wage wasn't a lot of money? Now they barely make above minimum wage to start. And wait way longer for bennies to kick in.
I wasn't clear the way I wrote it. The money WAS better. What I meant was, the fact that it WAS more money, didn't make the turnover any better.

4evapreloader

I wasn't clear the way I wrote it. The money WAS better. What I meant was, the fact that it WAS more money, didn't make the turnover any better.
I totally agree, but ironically the pay was better in the early 80's. Something like $10 something to start. It may have been the contract in '82 (plus minus a year or 2)that lowered the starting pay to $8.

km3

I totally agree, but ironically the pay was better in the early 80's. Something like $10 something to start. It may have been the contract in '82 (plus minus a year or 2)that lowered the starting pay to $8.

I would love to know what the starting pay rates were through the years if anyone has access to that information. Drivers and PTers.

I will say this though: Even if it was "only" $8/hr in 1987-88, that would still be about equal to $17.50 or so today. We PTers have slid all the way to the bottom of the hill...

Re-Raise

We had a new preload guy unload the first trailer. He said "that was a real workout".

We told him there were three more to go that morning.

He said "let me go out to my car and get my inhaler".

He got in his car and drove away

PT Car Washer

I would love to know what the starting pay rates were through the years if anyone has access to that information. Drivers and PTers.

I will say this though: Even if it was "only" $8/hr in 1987-88, that would still be about equal to $17.50 or so today. We PTers have slid all the way to the bottom of the hill...
When I started on the preload in 1977 we were paid about $.50/hr less then drivers after a 30 day progression with full benefits. The thought being a Union job, either FT or PT should be paid Union wages and benefits. Of course back then there were a lot of Union jobs that paid good money and benefits. I remember drivers quitting and going to work for John Deere because of better pay and no forced OT and no driving around in the dark every winter in a truck with no heat.

dookie stain

Cornfed whiteboy
During Peak, an street seasonal driver decided he couldn't handle this job after his first week. Rather than quit after he got back to the building on Friday, he came in Monday, took the truck out, delivered about 4 stops and then had his wife pick him up.

Left the truck and the keys in a Safeway parking lot.
Uh I think that was in my center hahahahahhahaha

watdaflock?

Unload and sort are in a hurry to start the weekend. Managers DGAF about egress on Fridays.

Just get the package close. No way in hell am I writing #s every box. eff it. It's Friday. It's all the same. Living with Louie dawgs the only way to stay sane....

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Got done my pull early so I went over to help a new guy on the belt who was so stacked out it looked like he built one of those Aztec step-pyramids along the belt.

I couldn't even see the backs of the trucks.

I told him "I'll pull the belt and scan, and you load."

He stared at me as if I'd just flown in from Neptune, turned and faced his scale reconstruction of Tenochtitlan then said "friend$%k it. I'm out." He proceeded to walk down the belt, turned and disappeared into the parking lot.

Soon after, I heard one of our PT sups yell "he WALKED OUT."

Guess who got to finish loading Tenochtitlan?

I think he was the smart one.

Happy Friday, BrownCafe
Do you blame him... Slave labor for $10 an hour.... No thank you!!