From a part timer to all the full timers:

Overpaid Union Thug

You have a PT job at UPS. PT jobs are not met to live off they are to make extra money.
As I said find another PT job that give you any benefits. You won't. As a PT at UPS you get a pension and free health care to name a few bennys.

If your here to eventually get a FT position you have to wait your turn that the way the union works. When I work PT at I also had a 40 hr job, 4 10 hr days to go with it....

I've worked with more than a hand full of career part-timers at UPS. We've had a couple retire in my center and there are still quite a few still working. They are probably the happiest people I've ever known at UPS. Only about half of them have other jobs they do before/after UPS. There are a few drivers that always say they with they had stayed part-time.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Average driver 10hrs average pt 3hrs thats more like 30% your responsibilty minamal..show unload/sort/preload..go home
driver shows up and is respobsible for everything as soon as he clocks in..and has to drive and think for everyone else all day...

just not comparing apples to apples..

That's being very generous on the extremes. The average PTer works 3.5-4 hours and the average driver works 9-9.5. Any driver who consistently works more than 9.5 is either doing so voluntarily, or has voluntarily accepted a late pick-up route. And yes, there's exceptions on both ends.

Secondly, stop pretending that package car driving is brain surgery -- honestly, it's an easy job. Yes, it can be stressful at times... but have you loaded package cars in recent years? At least at the end of a day of driving, you go home $350 richer. At the end of a day of loading, you go home $35 richer.

I've worked with more than a hand full of career part-timers at UPS. We've had a couple retire in my center and there are still quite a few still working. They are probably the happiest people I've ever known at UPS. Only about half of them have other jobs they do before/after UPS. There are a few drivers that always say they with they had stayed part-time.

I'm glad you work in Camelot, but most of us PTers don't.

wilberforce15

You have a PT job at UPS. PT jobs are not met to live off they are to make extra money.
As I said find another PT job that give you any benefits. You won't. As a PT at UPS you get a pension and free health care to name a few bennys.

If your here to eventually get a FT position you have to wait your turn that the way the union works. When I work PT at I also had a 40 hr job, 4 10 hr days to go with it....

I own my own business, running SAT Prep classes, and teaching math and science to high-schoolers. I make more outside of UPS than at UPS.

That 13k represented my UPS income - not my total income.

But here's the rub - you all are a bunch of union guys trying to excuse a pay-cut of more than 60% on part-timers over thirty years. I know good and well that I can't expect to live off a part-time job, and I don't. But if you made $8/hr in the 80's or 90's to start, you just need to exit this conversation. You started at twice my rate, and therefore have no credibility to lecture me about my complaints.

I want to see if you all really believe what you are saying: if you do, just copy and paste this into your next post:

"Yes, FreakinBananas, as a Full-Timer, if I work 55 hours a week, then I damn well deserve $90,000 more than you get for 23 hours a week."

This never happened.

$8.00 from the early 80's is worth $19.00 today. That's a fact, Jack. Let me know if you need a short lesson on inflation.

I always like when people say hey if you don't like it go get another job, making $30+ hour. I'm a pter workin 30 hrs a week at ups. I'm on the boxline having to load 200 packages and hr. I'll enjoy the benefits when I actually start receiving them since you have to wait a year. I'm sure driver get out those same 200 packages an hour. Oh wait moat trucks routes are onlyabout 200 packages give or take. Making 1/3 of your pay doing 4 times the work isn't that great to me and I thought. Unions were all for one. I feel a $1 raise for starting out is a joke. $12-13 would be more reasonable but the $15 hour asked for would be deserved imo.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I agree with u and I think the $10 an hour starting point is still a little low but with a decent progression could be doable.

Now u current part timers are getting screwed with the raises for the contract.

As I said before any part timer with under 10-15 years should get the $1.50 raise immediately also.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member

I didn't say average driver and average part-timer. I said him and me. He worked 55ish hours a week to make six-figures, and I worked 22-24 hours on average to earn 13k. My numbers are right.

His job does come with a lot more responsibility and dedication required. That's why he deserves a higher wage than mine.

However, he does not deserve $90,000 more than me.

Like I said in another thread !!!

YOU HAVE A PT JOB !!!! WITH BENEFITS NO OTHER PT JOB YOU CAN FIND HAS !!!!!!!!!!!!

Part Timers sacrifice " no doubt because I did " !!!! BUT If you do any job for 3 1/2 hours a day and are getting the same benefits as the guy that works 11 hours in his/her truck !!

AND YOU FN COMPLAIN BECAUSE YOU MIGHT HAVE TO PAY EXTRA IN CO-PAY

GET A FULL TIME JOB!!!!!!!

If you are WAITING for a Full Time job to open , then keep sacrificing !! " it's worth it ""
But if you are just working here for benefits and think you are getting screwed, GO GET A FULL TIME JOB AND LOOK BACK AT HOW GOOD YOU HAD IT HERE !!!!

:tantrumsmiley::tantrumsmiley::tantrumsmiley::tantrumsmiley::tantrumsmiley:

Brownslave688

I always like when people say hey if you don't like it go get another job, making $30+ hour. I'm a pter workin 30 hrs a week at ups. I'm on the boxline having to load 200 packages and hr. I'll enjoy the benefits when I actually start receiving them since you have to wait a year. I'm sure driver get out those same 200 packages an hour. Oh wait moat trucks routes are onlyabout 200 packages give or take. Making 1/3 of your pay doing 4 times the work isn't that great to me and I thought. Unions were all for one. I feel a $1 raise for starting out is a joke. $12-13 would be more reasonable but the $15 hour asked for would be deserved imo.

Ok first u by no means do 4 times the work than a driver. That's like saying unloaders do 4 times more work than a loader.

Question. Is it 9.50 or $10 that PT will start at?

DiadTribe

When union members forget what the definition of 'union' is...we have to read letters like yours.
I had 3 part time jobs at one point. Your efforts should be lauded by all workers.
Hard working. Moving to the next level.
I hope this contract is an improvement for you.

Don't forget.
THERE IS A TON OF MANAGEMENT ON THIS SITE. THEY ARE JEALOUS.

Last edited:
I'm not sure its just rumors I saw on here on starting pay. So loading 1000-1200 packages a day/ one being a mall truck isn't more work than a guy driving a truck and taking off a few packages at a time? Maybe doing 20-30 packages and hour?? Not saying the driver position isn't hard but they are Very Compensated for what they do. Think much better pay for pters and not such a long wait for benefits would be the way to go. Not trying to complain just state a pters case!

You forget we start out like you. It's a part time job son. Don't cry about your compensation package son. You never had to work here. Wait it out and some day you can be like me but it takes time. If you don't like it go find something else. I bet they hire another person to fill your position real quick. You have no senority and when you do you will be there.

I'm not sure its just rumors I saw on here on starting pay. So loading 1000-1200 packages a day/ one being a mall truck isn't more work than a guy driving a truck and taking off a few packages at a time? Maybe doing 20-30 packages and hour?? Not saying the driver position isn't hard but they are Very Compensated for what they do. Think much better pay for pters and not such a long wait for benefits would be the way to go. Not trying to complain just state a pters case!
You have no clue son.

ocnewguy

it's easy for the old timers to say go pound sand to the new guys when the starting wage was actually worth something when they started. oh and they didn't have to wait a year for bennies

Brownslave688

some rural routes are much easier than loading. They have it worst with bad weather though. For the most part though all the in town routes are much harder than loading a package car. I know. It wasn't all that long ago I was doing it.

I believe part timers are under compensated also. U have to realize though a drivers job is by no means just dropping off 20-30 packages an hour. Our day entails so much other stuff. Can't really explain it. Just gotta do the job to understand it.

I get that and I'm not saying the driver position isn't hard by any means. I know there is a lot that comes with it. Just think pters should get compensated better in this new contract. Oh and thanks for not calling me son...lol

didyousheetit

my sporh is between 19 and 22. I've been a preloader yes it's the toughest partime job. I also loaded a mall route on a three car pull. But remember, if you ever do go driving as a driver we are responsible for everyones mistakes from preloader to oms dispatch fupps. Yes I do agree though pt should get more to start.I started at 8 in 1984 so there is no argument there. just saying comparing to drivers not apples to apples

wilberforce15

Like I said in another thread !!!
YOU HAVE A PT JOB !!!! WITH BENEFITS NO OTHER PT JOB YOU CAN FIND HAS !!!!!!!!!!!!

Part Timers sacrifice " no doubt because I did " !!!! BUT If you do any job for 3 1/2 hours a day and are getting the same benefits as the guy that works 11 hours in his/her truck !!

AND YOU FN COMPLAIN BECAUSE YOU MIGHT HAVE TO PAY EXTRA IN CO-PAY

GET A FULL TIME JOB!!!!!!!

If you are WAITING for a Full Time job to open , then keep sacrificing !! " it's worth it ""
But if you are just working here for benefits and think you are getting screwed, GO GET A FULL TIME JOB AND LOOK BACK AT HOW GOOD YOU HAD IT HERE !!!!

Okay, now repeat after me:

"Yes, FreakinBananas, a driver at 55 hrs. a week deserves $90,000 more than a 4-year part-timer at 23 hours a week."

If you can say that with a straight face, then there is no need to continue the conversation.