From a part timer to all the full timers:

wilberforce15

You have a mean streak after less than a year? Think about my mean streak after decades. Pay your dues or quit.

His mean streak might come from getting half your starting pay, while getting lectures from you about sucking it up.

His mean streak might come from getting half your starting pay, while getting lectures from you about sucking it up.
A lot of my members actually thank me for telling them how it is. I'm just not good and blowing smoke op people's ass and sugar coating things. I'm blatantly honest. Are you married? My wife talks that nonsense and it goes in one ear and out the other. Grow up

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
I fail to comprehend why so many drivers justify a $8.50/hour wage for a PT job, yet complain their nearly $33/hour wage is insufficient. Companies have being using PT and indy contractor tags to "justify" inferior wages... honestly, if you feel driving is worthy of $33/hour, then you should feel the PT jobs at UPS are worthy of way more that $8.50/hour.

wilberforce15

A lot of my members actually thank me for telling me how it is. I'm just not good and blowing smoke op people's ass and sugar coating things. I'm blatantly honest. Are you married? My wife takes that nonsense and it goes in one ear and out the other. Grow up

Wife and kids. That's why I'm willing to work 23 hours/week at UPS, as an after-party for running my own business.

You're blatantly honest? Let's hear the truth, then. Repeat after me:

"Yes, FreakinBananas, a driver at 55 hrs/week truly deserves $90,000 more than a 4-year part-timer at 23 hrs/week."

I fail to comprehend why so many drivers justify a $8.50/hour wage for a PT job, yet complain their nearly $33/hour wage is insufficient. Companies have being using PT and indy contractor tags to "justify" inferior wages... honestly, if you feel driving is worthy of $33/hour, then you should feel the PT jobs at UPS are worthy of way more that $8.50/hour.
I LOVE my 32.39 an hour. I actually thank God (Jesus) every morning on the way to work. Seriously.

Wife and kids. That's why I'm willing to work 23 hours/week at UPS, as an after-party for running my own business.

You're blatantly honest? Let's hear the truth, then. Repeat after me:

"Yes, FreakinBananas, a driver at 55 hrs/week truly deserves $90,000 more than a 4-year part-timer at 23 hrs/week."
Yup. Pretty much son.

wilberforce15

Yup. Pretty much son.

Then you are everything that is wrong with the union.

You go FT, and support cutting starting pay in half. You get a decent wage, and then take it from others so that yours can grow. We're brothers? Not so much, evidently.

gotbrown

That's being very generous on the extremes. The average PTer works 3.5-4 hours and the average driver works 9-9.5. Any driver who consistently works more than 9.5 is either doing so voluntarily, or has voluntarily accepted a late pick-up route. And yes, there's exceptions on both ends.

Secondly, stop pretending that package car driving is brain surgery -- honestly, it's an easy job. Yes, it can be stressful at times... but have you loaded package cars in recent years? At least at the end of a day of driving, you go home $350 richer. At the end of a day of loading, you go home $35 richer.

Ok bagels, my numbers may be off somewhat but the majority of the drivers in my building get 9.5/ 10 at least 4 days a week, all i was saying you cant compare the 2 jobs, there for you cannot compare the 2 wages,,driving a truck not brain surgery by any means, but I can tell you its like being married everything is your fault. Commit times, damages, misloads, over aloud, accidents, oops you can kiss your job good bye for that depending circumstances..dealing with the cust,.. it just different some guys on here just seem to think we drive around and this stuff delivers it self by magic and we just sit there while it all happens..i think most ptmers work hard and deserve more..there arent too many jobs at ups that are not...

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Secondly, stop pretending that package car driving is brain surgery -- honestly, it's an easy job. Yes, it can be stressful at times... but have you loaded package cars in recent years? At least at the end of a day of driving, you go home $350 richer. At the end of a day of loading, you go home $35 richer.

Ok bagels, my numbers may be off somewhat but the majority of the drivers in my building get 9.5/ 10 at least 4 days a week, all i was saying you cant compare the 2 jobs, there for you cannot compare the 2 wages,,driving a truck not brain surgery by any means, but I can tell you its like being married everything is your fault. Commit times, damages, misloads, over aloud, accidents, oops you can kiss your job good bye for that depending circumstances..dealing with the cust,.. it just different some guys on here just seem to think we drive around and this stuff delivers it self by magic and we just sit there while it all happens..i think most ptmers work hard and deserve more..there arent too many jobs at ups that are not...

These attributes aren't unique to drivers -- PTers are also held accountable for their work performance. We've had DOUBLE the number of PTers fired in just the past three years than we did in my first thirteen combined -- the company's become less lenient as the job market weakened. Sure there's PTers who can't hold their own weight - but there's also drivers who never run scratch, always get help & wind up in the office everyday. And like the PTers, they're still here.

I'm tired of the 'go get a FT job' B.S. I read from people in their 40s & 50s within these forums -- FT jobs not requiring a four year college degree are increasing rare & difficult to obtain as more companies turn toward PT & contracted designations to save money. Nearly all the PTers I work with -- sans the soccer moms & college students -- work two jobs. Stacking two jobs is a difficult task since work may occupy 10 hours or more of our work day but we only get paid for 8 -- not to mention at working at UPS is physically & mentally fatiguing, and the biological clock is not programmed to function at 3AM, making it even worse.

In the past several years, we've had more than a dozen PTers with 12-15 years seniority finally transition to FT. NOT A SINGLE ONE OF THEM thinks driving is more difficult than PT, and most feel relieved that they're no longer working two jobs. I have driven seasonally several hundred times -- both jobs have their pros and cons, and I much prefer driving (although I'm currently completing my education and intend on moving on from UPS). I can handle having somebody follow me once a month, or even once a week, and getting yapped at for 10 minutes in the office. I resent having some 19-year-old kid micromanaging absolutely everything I do for four straight hours, telling me why I'm not doing my job properly when it's oblivious that he doesn't know what the **** he's talking about.

My whole point is that all those drivers who whine and cry that they're underpaid, but in their next breath tell an $8.50/hour Preloader that he has an easy job & is paid sufficiently, should do some serious soul searching. In 2013, all jobs are stressful as employers clap on productivity -- even Walmart has reportably cut its per store workforce by as much as 20%, writing up & terminating employees who fail to pick up the slack (and the average 10-year Walmart employee earns $10/hour with NO benefits). Nobody earning nearly $33/hour + benefits should be surprised their employee is ensuring top productivity. But getting maximum productivity doesn't equate into performing rocket science. Oodles of FedEx Ground employees are doing the EXACT SAME JOB as you for a fraction of the pay, after all.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
I drive a commercial vehicle governed by DOT law under FMCSA rule.

As do hundreds of thousands of other workers in the USA earning barely minimum wage (e.g. other delivery companies such as FedEx Ground, many grocery store vendors, etc.). What's your point?

stink219

Point is that I was smart enough to apply at UPS because I knew it was a solid company. I started at 8 bucks part time and worked to get a full time gig after 8 years to make 91k. I hear nothing but bitching and complaining about "what I didn't get", "what is owed to me", "what others have". Go out and get what you are worth! As for part time poverty? There are a lot of you PTs out there. Get off your ass and vote. I will ALWAYS stand behind you. If you do not decide to vote, do me a favor a be quiet!

wilberforce15

I drive a commercial vehicle governed by DOT law under FMCSA rule.

Everyone please pause to bow.

Okay, now that we're done, you can join anonymous and repeat after me:

"
I drive a commercial vehicle governed by DOT law under FMCSA rule. Therefore, if I work 55 hrs/week, and a guy with 4 years works 23 hrs/week, then I deserve to make $90,000 more than him."

Go ahead. Say it.

I started at 8 bucks part time

We've been through this. No, you didn't.

stink219

Oh that's right, your the "it was worth this much then guy"? There is a definitive reason we get paid for what we do. Your suggesting a full time driver should be at the same pay as every other job? How long have you been at UPS?

wilberforce15

Oh that's right, your the "it was worth this much then guy"? There is a definitive reason we get paid for what we do. Your suggesting a full time driver should be at the same pay as every other job? How long have you been at UPS?

First - go ahead and say it.

Second - No. I said in this very thread "
His job does come with a lot more responsibility and dedication required. That's why he deserves a higher wage than mine." (post #16).

I don't deserve your current wage. But for damn sure I deserve your starting wage after my four years here. If you started in the early 80's, that means I would get $19/hr right now. That would be perfect. You'd still get your $32 and change.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Point is that I was smart enough to apply at UPS because I knew it was a solid company. I started at 8 bucks part time and worked to get a full time gig after 8 years to make 91k. I hear nothing but bitching and complaining about "what I didn't get", "what is owed to me", "what others have". Go out and get what you are worth! As for part time poverty? There are a lot of you PTs out there. Get off your ass and vote. I will ALWAYS stand behind you. If you do not decide to vote, do me a favor a be quiet!

Just as I thought, you didn't have a point :).

Saying 'it's a pyramid scheme, and I bought into it but now I'm on the receiving end' doesn't make it right.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Not to mention, the deviation between PT & FT pay wasn't as strong as it is today (especially factoring inflation).

quamba 638

I've worked at ups part-time for 9 years. I've worked my full/time job for over 6 years- warehouse work. I average 900 hours at UPS and 2100 hours at my full time job each year. i make nowhere near 90k.
Between me an my wife we have a house and and couple vehicles. Nothing nice, but sufficient. I work 6am- 2:30 pm then from about 5:30 pm -9:30pm. Busting my ass. I need to have insurance (good insurance) that's why I work both jobs. My other job offers a few different insurance packages that are horrible in comparison to UPS. There are guys at my full time job paying 300 dollars out of each check/ every two weeks for family coverage. 600 dollars a month and they STILL have a deductible! I try to look at the bright side of things. My full time job offers 401k match, UPS offers a pension and free insurance.

For those of you saying that you'll never find a part-time job with the perks of UPS you're absolutely right. For those of you that think just because you're full time you deserve 33 an hour vs a part time guy making ****, you're wrong. I know there are plenty lazy part time workers that don't care about their jobs and have no intention of going full time or getting another job. I know the drivers deal with a bunch of BS from management and have actual accountability/responsibility and sure you deserve 33 an hour...but part timers deserve way more than the pathetic wage they get by comparison. I sort packages, it's tough depending who you have or how much you give a rip pretty much. I roll into work with icy hot patches on my back an shoulder grinding in out. I volunteer every night to unload irregs from he metros to get more then my 3.5, I bs with the drivers and I can't believe the number of them that are over 55!!! Not ripping on these guys but there is no way they could keep up with these 18 year old unloaders busting their asses for 8.50. So to say driving is more physical of of job isn't accurate in my opinion.