FT bumping Saturday air work

brownIEman

Have you ever noticed, when people come here fishing for answers....

it's because their Local sucks and the BA always sides with the company ?

Well of course. If a member of the rank and file asks a steward or BA a question about the contract and the answer is not what they wanted to hear, the only possible explanation is that steward or BA is a worthless company shill. Just common sense really...

Rack em

Made the Podium
Well of course. If a member of the rank and file asks a steward or BA a question about the contract and the answer is not what they wanted to hear, the only possible explanation is that steward or BA is a worthless company shill. Just common sense really...
Sometimes....There are a lot of times where the steward is just a pusillanimous and is too buddy buddy with the center manager though. It's happened a few times in our center unfortunately.

DOK

The issue I have is he is taking the ground pickup (30 minutes of work) PLUS that air job for the day which is about 4 hours. Bring him in for the ground work, fine. But they are harrassing us air drivers for filing on not getting top rate for doing this pickup.

not sure you have any say in this. if the ground guy is coming in he can demand 8 full hours. so they will give him air deliveries to keep him busy.

On days where my center runs sat ground the ground guys still deliver all air and the air drivers don't work if not needed.

different contracts for different areas. I would believe you are screwed and have no say. you get what they give you. read the contract.

No FT drivers are permitted to bump a Saturday air driver where in at.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
No contractual violation.
Not in regards to this particular "exception air driver", but there is certainly a contractual violation occurring.
Based on the facts presented....
"The facts" are that this is extra work for the full time driving classification.
"Laid off" has zero to do with it, other than the rate of pay.

If it were my building regularly, the Company would owe me time and a half for those Saturdays.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Not in regards to this particular "exception air driver", but there is certainly a contractual violation occurring.

"The facts" are that this is extra work for the full time driving classification.
"Laid off" has zero to do with it, other than the rate of pay.

If it were my building regularly, the Company would owe me time and a half for those Saturdays.
Agreed, missing work throughout the week doesn’t justify you using your seniority on a day you aren’t scheduled. This has been grieved and won, not even going to get into the fact it seems his building isn’t running ground deliveries on Saturday to start with.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Agreed, missing work throughout the week doesn’t justify you using your seniority on a day you aren’t scheduled. This has been grieved and won, not even going to get into the fact it seems his building isn’t running ground deliveries on Saturday to start with.

They were fine using air drivers to deliver Saturday air.

The issue arose when they started using air drivers to make a scheduled pick up.

This now goes by seniority, even to that guy not scheduled to work that may have even had a day off already.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
They were fine using air drivers to deliver Saturday air.

The issue arose when they started using air drivers to make a scheduled pick up.

This now goes by seniority, even to that guy not scheduled to work that may have even had a day off already.
....a scheduled "ground pickup".

Ghost in the Darkness

Here its ground work goes to ground drivers by seniority first... and it doesnt matter if its a 6th punch or not. I think the exception would be if that particular driver were on vacation that week and wanted to work and bump someone and that would not be allowed.

The confusion that I didn't clarify very well, was a FT M-friend driver, bumping a scheduled Saturday Part Time Air Exception driver...on Saturday, delivering air. Yes he also takes 5 minutes to do a 10 package ground pickup, after he delivers the air pkgs. We aren't even allowed to order supplies at our center such as tape due to "UPS being broke", yet they will let a FT bump into Sat air work and pay him more.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
The confusion that I didn't clarify very well, was a FT M-friend driver, bumping a scheduled Saturday Part Time Air Exception driver...on Saturday, delivering air. Yes he also takes 5 minutes to do a 10 package ground pickup, after he delivers the air pkgs. We aren't even allowed to order supplies at our center such as tape due to "UPS being broke", yet they will let a FT bump into Sat air work and pay him more.

There is no confusion, except for maybe on your part.

He is not bumping you.

The contract is what it is. Ground pickups need to be picked up by FT drivers, not air drivers, weekends or weekdays. It doesn't matter. Not matter what it costs.

Since there is a FT driver now working Saturday, they are having him deliver airs as well as the pickup so that he has enough work to satisfy his daily guarantee.

He is not going to come in just for an hour and make 1 pickup.

They now no longer need you on Saturday because there is a FT driver scheduled.

RolloTony Brown Town

Central Region :
We have a few air exception drivers that deliver our air on Saturday, our center does not do ground deliveries. Last year they started a ground pickup, had air drivers picking it up but not paying top ground rate for it. I raised a stink, nothing was done. Now another air exception driver filed on it, and the company is harrassing us (surprise). Was scheduled to work Saturday, even ok'd by my sup on Friday. Then sup says no, a FT driver is going to bump you off of air to do this ground pickup because hes "laid off". hes not laid off, they just never drove him although he was on the schedule. He also has less company seniority than me. Am I correct in reading Art 3 Sec 6, that the only time a FT can bump Saturday air, is if they are a) laid off b) more company seniority?

My union BA is worthless and hates air drivers, so he's siding with the company as usual.

I understand you wanted the contract to be abided by and I respect that.

Kinda funny looking back cause you raised a stink you lost your Saturday air gig. Contractually you were right but because you pushed the issue now you got nothing. NO SOUP FOR YOU!